Starsector > Announcements

Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes

<< < (179/184) > >>

FooF:
I'm of the opinion that both the Military Base and High Command are placeholders and once their full functionality comes into being, their Industry status will be justified. As it is, their only purpose right now is to increase the size of defense fleets and that, by itself, doesn't justify an Industry slot. However, I'm operating under the assumption that Military Bases/High Commands will unlock the "Orders" tab in the Colony menu, which will itself be something worth having and an opportunity cost for a colony.

Assuming I'm right, that still doesn't clear up the need for about every colony to have large defense fleets and if they're still tied to upgrading the Patrol HQ, we're in the same boat as before.

My idea would be that Military Bases (and to a greater extent, High Commands) have a global colony bonus much akin to Nanoforges. If one of your colonies have a Military Base/High Command, all colonies benefit from a +max fleet size bonus (perhaps a % of the max value based on distance from the Base). Military Bases would have smaller bonuses and smaller effective distance meanwhile High Commands would have larger bonuses and larger scope of influence (perhaps only 1 High Command is allowed?)

Megas:

--- Quote from: Serenitis on March 30, 2020, 06:32:27 AM ---While removing the industry tag from the military base would make things much easier, it would also turn it into a "build this by default" item and remove the need for the player to make any kind of compromise in order to have that kind of defensive power.

--- End quote ---
Right now, player builds it by default anyway because it is the only way to have a proper defense fleet that can intercept enemy fleets without forcing the player to stay home and babysit his colonies.  This is why I call military base an industry slot tax.  One of the industry slots is always taken by military base just to have basic defenses against invaders.  That is awful.

Similarly, because many core worlds do not have bases, they are easily wrecked by pirate raids and will decivilize eventually if the game lasts long enough.  Thus, if player wants to save core worlds, he babysits them too by playing whack-a-mole!

I suppose Military Base is not necessary if player destroys the core worlds to remove the source of expeditions (and eliminates need to babysit core systems), and befriends pirates to stop raids, but that is endgame.

JaronK:
I'm surprised so many people have trouble without using a military base/HQ to defend with.  Very rarely have I had to race in and save a colony from a potential raid, as most of the time once I've got planetary shields it's pretty much fine, especially when a pristine nanoforge is boosting my ships.

But I'd like to see Military bases and such patrol a wider area, preventing raids that pass by them on the way to attack.  This way you can put military bases in strategic locations that protect other worlds, which would be pretty handy.  They might also be able to take out pirate bases that are too close.  That would make them still very useful, but you don't need a lot of them.  You just need them at major defensive points, blocking for your other colonies.

Shoat:

--- Quote from: JaronK on April 06, 2020, 12:53:35 AM ---I'm surprised so many people have trouble without using a military base/HQ to defend with.  Very rarely have I had to race in and save a colony from a potential raid, as most of the time once I've got planetary shields it's pretty much fine, especially when a pristine nanoforge is boosting my ships.
--- End quote ---

When you've got planetary shields and pristine nanoforge fleets you are already at the end of progression anyway. That scenario is kinda irrelevant when discussing the difficulty of defending your empire while it grows.

I mean, you don't see people saying "I wonder why everyone's so worked up about the performance [insert early/midgame ship here], I just use [insert super endgame ship here] instead and I never have trouble doing well in battles", because that would be silly.

Igncom1:
For a while I had a colony with no industries and a military base which covered it's own expenses on taxes for a while. It would still be targeted by pirate raids for the nothing the colony actually produced and I would have to defend it but now? I have heavy industry with a pristine nano-forge and a High command and nothing can touch me.

Still need to decide what to do with the remaining industry slots, but so far I'm still not drawing that much flak for existing.

But it IS interesting to see how much worth out of an industry-little, or less, colony that could. Just as a piggy bank for the fleet and store for supplies. You can ride an early largely defenceless colony for a while but pirates will raid regardless which is kinda naff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version