Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62

Author Topic: Starsector 0.9.1a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 351480 times)

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
Re: Starsector 0.9.1a (In-Dev) Patch Notes
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2019, 04:02:05 PM »

• When losing a battle: special items such as blueprints, AI cores, survey data, etc, no longer have a chance to be lost

Is this a blacklist using tags, or have AI cores and survey data been changed from commodities into special items?

And if it's the former, have you considered the latter? For cores especially there's some interesting gameplay possibilities that would require keeping track of their history, which can't be done with commodities.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2019, 04:05:02 PM »

Is this a blacklist using tags, or have AI cores and survey data been changed from commodities into special items?

And if it's the former, have you considered the latter? For cores especially there's some interesting gameplay possibilities that would require keeping track of their history, which can't be done with commodities.

It's a "no_loss_from_combat" tag on the commodities in question.

I don't think you could track a history with special items either, i.e. if a couple of cores get stacked together, then what's what is entirely lost.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2019, 04:13:51 PM »

:D

Will not produce fleets with more than 30 ships
Is there a FleetParams variable for this? Some boss fleets in mods need to be pretty big and it would be odd if they just ended up as 30-capital fleets instead.

LazyWizard

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2019, 04:17:43 PM »

Spoiler

[close]

It's a "no_loss_from_combat" tag on the commodities in question.

I don't think you could track a history with special items either, i.e. if a couple of cores get stacked together, then what's what is entirely lost.

Special item stackability is based on their SpecialItemData string, right? So if each core was given a unique ID at creation they wouldn't stack over each other, and we could add an entry to persistent data to keep track of such things. Or am I wrong about how this works?

(I should probably post this in Suggestions)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2019, 04:20:07 PM »

Special item stackability is based on their SpecialItemData string, right? So if each core was given a unique ID at creation they wouldn't stack over each other, and we could add an entry to persistent data to keep track of such things. Or am I wrong about how this works?

That's right, yeah. But "change AI cores to special items" and "change AI cores to *unstackable* special items" are pretty different :) I'm not really sure I can see doing the latter.

... although, thinking on it some more, I think I could see doing that for Alpha Cores. And then have say a serial number in the tooltip, and heavily imply a unique personality etc. HMM.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 04:25:19 PM by Alex »

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »

... although, thinking on it some more, I think I could see doing that for Alpha Cores. And then have say a serial number in the tooltip, and heavily imply a unique personality etc. HMM.

50000% in favor of this idea, fwiw. i have plans if you implement it...
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2019, 04:27:57 PM »

Could you pair this with a reduction in the drugs needed by mining?  Right now, if I have Industrial Planning at 2, and use an alpha core on my base population and an AI core of any grade on mining, I can meet the drug requirements without having to have a free port with light industry; once this change goes in, that will no longer be the case.

Hmm - design-wise, I'd rather not have skill effects apply to specific pieces of content like that, if that makes sense. I also like the idea of Mining requiring a larger world's infracstructure (or free port etc) to provide the needed drugs.
Nope, sorry, I don't follow - I'm not sure what you mean by 'skill effects apply to specific pieces of content' in this context.

And I do get - and generally agree with - the second point... except for two critical flaws in that idea:
One: You can't rely on a larger world's infrastructure, because smuggled exports don't count for filling demand from in-faction.  (Local production does, even if it's illegal, though.)
Two: Any player colony is on an inevitable progression to size ten, which means you can't rely on a larger world even -existing-.  (And, indeed, as a mining colony grows you'll inevitably hit a point where there are no non-player colonies that are able to supply the amount of drugs needed by its mining operations - this happens at about size eight.)

...Come to think of it, this change breaks a few other things, too.  In 0.9, if you have level two or higher Industrial Planning, your colony's population will produce exactly as much harvested organs as it needs; if there's no matching reduction in demand in 0.9.1, you'll end up with large colonies requiring an AI core to avoid otherwise-automatic shortages there.
Also, with Industrial Planning, mining with no bonuses or penalties exactly matches up with the minerals required by refining; that'll break too.  (Though, hm.  As a reason to actually value planets with high mineral reserves, maybe this one isn't a problem per se.)

I mean, I'd really like if there was some good incentive to, say, drop a mining colony on that 250% hazard volcanic planet with ultra-rich rare minerals.  But the way the game works right now, hazard rating completely trumps resources in terms of colony value.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2019, 04:40:31 PM »

Nope, sorry, I don't follow - I'm not sure what you mean by 'skill effects apply to specific pieces of content' in this context.

Just real quick: what I mean is I wouldn't want to have a skill explicitly apply to Mining; that's what I mean by "specific piece of content".

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2019, 04:42:48 PM »

Just real quick: what I mean is I wouldn't want to have a skill explicitly apply to Mining; that's what I mean by "specific piece of content".

Oh!  Yeah, no, that's not what I was suggesting - I was just suggesting simply reducing the drug demand of the mining industry, not as a skill effect, but just as a change in what the base industry needs.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2019, 04:58:50 PM »

... oh. Right! Thank you for clearing that up :)

I'll say, I think it's thematic for bits of demand here and there (drugs, organs) not being met; I don't think it's really a balance issue or a hard requirement that all demand ought to be able to be met, let alone met easily or comfortably. Things generally work pretty well with some unmet demand, after all.

As far as size 8+ colonies, I'm not too worried about anything that happens past that point - I'd imagine at some point it will probably become exceedingly difficult to get to size 8, and impossible (or almost impossible) to get to size 9 or 10. That you can do so relatively easily right now is more of a rough edge of the implementation than anything else, so I wouldn't want to balance/fine-tune numbers for that.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2019, 05:24:14 PM »

Right; that's actually something I've done on occasion.  In 0.9, you have three options for dealing with drugs demand from mining:
1: Accept that some drugs demand won't be met.  This doesn't seem to impact the output of the mines or colony stability, just the growth rate.
2: Have a colony with light industry and free port.
3: Use multiple AI cores, including at least one alpha-grade.

I like having choices; this change removes option three, while leaving one and two alone.

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »

Doesn't the change to industries mean that you can't actually fill all 12 building slots on your planets without mods that add non-industry buildings except under very specific circumstances?

1 slot Planetary Infrastructure
4 slots Industry
1 Spaceport Variant
1 Waystation
1 Commerce
1 Ground Defense Variant
1 Patrol HQ Variant
= 10 building slots, making the "max-12" mechanic rather defunct in vanilla.  You can only barely get to 12 if you've found the Red Planet and happened to settle an area with a Cryoship.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2019, 06:29:13 PM »

It's less of a mechanic and more of a UI limit that I'd hope players won't run up against too often, so: yes, and this is good :)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2019, 06:37:44 PM »

Battlestation takes up a slot.  With Red Planet reward, player will have no problem filling all 12 slots with only four production industries.

Originem

• Purple Principle
  • Captain
  • Dancing like a boss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2019, 07:12:42 PM »

Hopefully fixed issue loading UTF-8 text with multi-byte characters from mission descriptions etc
What? not all the loading issue? I thought that's the question of entire game ???
Things like designType, descriptions, hull name will meet this problem.
My mods

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 62