Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transponder warning for Transverse Jump  (Read 3097 times)

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Transponder warning for Transverse Jump
« on: January 29, 2019, 12:03:42 PM »

When you use jump points to enter a system, you get a warning that your transponder is off, and an option to turn it on before jumping.

With the Transverse Jump ability, there is no such warning and you can jump straight into a bunch of sector fleets with your transponder off. There should be something that at least lets us know about it.

I don't like the intrusive jump point screen interface, so I'd suggest a flashing message that says something along the lines of "Warning: Transponder offline", while the ship is warming up for a jump. That way I can ignore it if I want the transponder off, but I also won't forget that it's off.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Transponder warning for Transverse Jump
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 12:37:12 AM »

this game do not need carebear stuff in every corner.

lets add confirmations everywhere!

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 09:39:50 AM »

A transponder warning is not carebear stuff, because we toggle it a lot and when there's a lot of stuff going on it's normal to forget that it's off.

For example, making a perfect jump while having several procurement missions in mind, and thinking how well things are going, suddenly... 5x emergency burn... crap crap crap crap crap...

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 11:03:30 AM »

why I feel so stupid. I know the Tooltip help on Transverse jump says it can jump into systems on nascent gravity wells but I thought that just meant in periphery of star system and it never worked. Only now after reading this do I realise it's the purple bits around star sectors and they are everywhere! All the fuel and supplies I have wasted travelling to gravity wells for the same fuel cost! Although I believe transverse jump does cause ship damage and eats some CR even though it doesn't say it.

I don't feel too strongly on this issue, mainly because I didn't know it was possible, but sort of leaning towards not showing an option. When should it give you the box, as soon as your start the transverse jump or just before you enter the system? If it's when it's starting what happens if you get intercepted by a fleet? These are questions which can have quick easy answers so not hard to have a solution but does feel like extra steps when doing the slightly risky transverse jump in the first place.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 01:00:21 PM »

Although I believe transverse jump does cause ship damage and eats some CR even though it doesn't say it.
It does briefly increase supply consumption, but it only lasts like a second.

When should it give you the box, as soon as your start the transverse jump or just before you enter the system? If it's when it's starting what happens if you get intercepted by a fleet? These are questions which can have quick easy answers so not hard to have a solution but does feel like extra steps when doing the slightly risky transverse jump in the first place.
Maybe check if a system you jump to is inhabited, then flash the text before the jump is performed. You do have plenty of time to toggle the transponder or go dark or sustained burn after its warmup.

If you get interdicted or intercepted, it's all moot anyway.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2019, 02:41:31 PM »

this game do not need carebear stuff in every corner.

lets add confirmations everywhere!
The game gives confirmation for normal jump points. "Carebear" has nothing to do with anything. The game doesn't need artificial difficulty to make it interesting.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 12:24:23 AM »

+1 for this suggestion. Its not unusual for the player to spend a long amount of time out in hyperspace and in the fringes, areas where they're expected to have their transponders off. Its no wonder that having a reminder to turn transponders on was such a highly requested feature as I'm sure everyone at one point or another had to annoyingly deal with losing 5 rep for no transponder.

Its not hand holding because the only "exciting" thing that happens in 95% of a forgotten transponder is a slap on the wrist and -5 rep with a faction. Its a Quality of Life improvement for the game IMO. In the other 5% of cases you might actually run into a patrol that you had transponder off before and they *might* engage you causing hostile rep. That might be fun or, for many, it would be an instant reload because they wouldn't want to go hostile with their preferred faction due to a minor error. It isn't worth it to not have the reminders.

Transverse Jump does mention how many supplies/fuel it'll consume if you hover over the ability. The supply cost comes from its slight reduction in CR, so slight its repaired in one or two ticks of time but prevents you from using it for any mothballed ships. Of course it's completely free in both fuel and supplies on a jump into a system, and on a jump out it costs the same amount of fuel and so few supplies that you'll be likely to save supplies by using it unless you're right next to a normal jump point.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 06:27:14 AM »

+1 for this suggestion. Its not unusual for the player to spend a long amount of time out in hyperspace and in the fringes, areas where they're expected to have their transponders off. Its no wonder that having a reminder to turn transponders on was such a highly requested feature as I'm sure everyone at one point or another had to annoyingly deal with losing 5 rep for no transponder.
One that Alex added after that happened to him during his playtesting.

Khas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 01:49:31 PM »

This is a really good idea.

It would also be nice if the warning popped up when you entered a star system by virtue of being pulled towards it when out of fuel, as it doesn't seem to trigger in this instance either (at least in my experience).

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2019, 05:28:28 PM »

I don't think that's a good idea.

When you get Transverse Jump, you already should have basic knowledge of game systems, such as having transponder on in inhabited systems.
I know that we do get reminders about transponder when going through jump points at any point, but still, doesn't mean we need confirmations and warnings everywhere.

You, the player don't need to have your hand held through entire experience.
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

Khas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 12:09:43 AM »

All I'm saying is it would be nice to get the reminder, however one enters the system, especially because it's a very easy thing to forget about - at least in my experience.