Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Spaceborne Aliens?  (Read 6180 times)

Retry

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Spaceborne Aliens?
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2019, 05:02:30 PM »

lots of people ITT are super behind on their AI. I imagine if I explained to them in an effective-enough way that most popular sites such as Youtube (for just one example) are almost entirely AI run, and at that are run by an AI that no human built but was built by other AI to be good at running Youtube -- and are super racist, homophobic, bigoted & pro-fascist AI despite no human hands having been involved in their design to make them so, their heads might explode.

Like, we already have AI running some quite substantial infrastructure, and no human knows how it was made or why it is the way it is, and said AI's turn out to reflect the worst prejudices of the societies they came from. This isn't speculation, it's a known fact about the state of the world as it is today and if you read that and go "no but AI are logical" then IDK what to tell you other than that the image inside your head of what AI should be based on decades/centuries-old speculative fiction has no relevance to how it actually turned out to be
They're not behind, they're entirely correct.  We don't have general AI and we're very far away from being anywhere close to being able to create a true synthetic intelligence, and we certainly don't have anything that could pass the turing test.

The "AI" you're referring to are, in fact, slightly more complex "cleverbots".  "Cleverbots" have a more general term for them called Chatbots.  They say a bunch of junk because that's the junk people say online (people also generally being more militant under the safety of online anonymity).  These "bots" do not have a consciousness, nor do they simulate consciousness.  Any chatbot regurgitating such junk is no more a bigot than any parrot that you'd train to say the same things.

This is way off topic from the original "space creature" thing.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Spaceborne Aliens?
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2019, 07:29:21 PM »

the assertion that taking something that's already a reflection of societal prejudices and increasing its ability to appear to be a human being would decrease how much its a reflection of societal prejudices
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then
Pages: 1 [2]