Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9a] Allow to stockpile officers; limit only assignment count  (Read 3635 times)

Ragni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9a] Allow to stockpile officers; limit only assignment count
« on: January 24, 2019, 06:09:06 PM »

user case:
I have 10 officers,
All maxed out,
If I want to train more officers I can't hire new ones as I have reached my limit,
^ above also causes a problem where a player finds officers in the wild, they sort of get put in "cant assign just because a number". A game mechanic should not punish player for finding an officer.
user case:
I found a nice officer i might want to train/use later (i like the icon/starting skills),
But i have reached the "storage limit" for human beans.

suggestion:
Limit to how many vessels officers can be assigned (4,6,8,10), not the total pool of officers (0-99?).

This does not alter the game in terms of what officers bring to the game, but adds to QoL and removes some "annoying" parts of the game as mentioned above.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:44:08 PM by Ragni »

Boot Virus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Allow to stockpile officers, limit only assignment count
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »

I'd like to add a suggestion to apply similar soft cap limitations to the number of ships in fleet, by limiting it to 30 active ships and keeping other ships you buy/salvage/carry around mothballed.

Right now the hard cap of 30 ships affects the number of ships you can salvage after battle, and those you get AFAIK in the order they died on the battlefield. As such, if your fleet is close to cap you most of the time will get only 1-2 frigates as possible salvage, despite fighting the whole invasion force and hoping for a capital.

Balance-wise, I think this is more of a quality-of-life change as you still will have to pay salaries/supply fuel to those officers/ships you don't use at the moment. Maybe also change the maintenance of mothballed ships to 1-5% intead of 0, so that the soft limit on ships would work in-system.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Allow to stockpile officers; limit only assignment count
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 06:54:12 PM »

you wont need officer pool, if game allow you to select officers you actually need, with required personality and exact set of skills.

probably instead of grindy waste of time related to searching officers around, player should have ability to just spawn officers out of nowhere, well, it may cost 1 crew to spawn.

paragonid

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 10:58:48 PM »

you might need more than 10 officers if you even intend to use different than 10 same ships

another way is getting rid of max 20 level limit
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 11:05:51 PM by paragonid »

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2019, 01:01:08 AM »

Here's my hot take:
Take the fleet limit and throw it out of the window, let my ability to actually buy enough supplies be my limit, this way i'm not forced into bringing few ships if i want to salvage stuff and i can have my junker hyperdeathball of a thousand Lashers that have enough D-mods that only someone absolutely crazy would fly on them willingly

Same for officers, take the limit and throw it into the trash, change the relevant skill to limit the LEVEL they can be at and let their salary do the rest of the work, i'm already swimming in so much money that i have no idea on how to spend it fast enough, and i want my hyperdeathball of junkers to be piloted by the most reckless individual the Sector has to offer
On the left half of the Bell curve

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 11:44:05 AM »

...I actually like the idea of making the skill limit officer level rather than total officers.  Maybe even add in a player-skill-perk for level one of the more officers skill that lets you pick between three options instead of two; that would help a -ton- for making it possible to, say, make carrier officers not almost-have-to-be all three carrier skills at max.

I'd also pair that with making officer costs nearly-exponential, so that sometimes you might actually want to -not- level up your officers just due to the increased price tag.  If a level 20 officer cost you, say, 50,000 credits a month, and a level 10 officer was only 5,000 credits, well, not only would you now have something to pour colony-level income into, it'd also make for interesting decisions in how you set up your fleet.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 12:34:58 PM »

I'd also pair that with making officer costs nearly-exponential, so that sometimes you might actually want to -not- level up your officers just due to the increased price tag.  If a level 20 officer cost you, say, 50,000 credits a month, and a level 10 officer was only 5,000 credits, well, not only would you now have something to pour colony-level income into, it'd also make for interesting decisions in how you set up your fleet.
I probably would either ignore officers altogether, or just hire a bunch of level 1s for the free Reinforced Bulkheads effect (given by Fleet Logistics 1).  Ships are OP starved if they all have Reinforced Bulkheads.

I already limit myself to four officers, but mostly because I have trouble deploying more than five large ships without max battle size.

I dislike 30 ship limit because the AI cheats and routinely has about 40 ships in their endgame fleets, including your patrols after your colony gets big enough.  Some roaming pirate fleets can have more than double the limit.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2019, 07:00:40 AM »

Why not make low level officers not affect the limit and the limit affetcing only high level offciers?
Say you can field unlimited amount of officers 8 or below levels but you need waste promotion for any you want level more(the limit for leveled officers stays the same).

PS.
I already upped ship limit for my fleet to 60 even if I limit myself to only 30 so I can actually scavenge some enemy ships. I increased officer limit too till 20 so I can swap officers around/hire excess or can switch the one I find - even if I still use in battle onlly the amount that I am allowed by vanilia skill.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 07:02:45 AM by Sarissofoi »