Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: (0.9a) FPS decrease when in combat.  (Read 3949 times)

Lutor27

• Ensign
  • "Bellum in omnes spiritu"
    • View Profile
(0.9a) FPS decrease when in combat.
« on: January 22, 2019, 04:17:37 PM »

Hi! Since I started playing 0.9a with mods, I noticed a decrease in FPS (mostly when I'm in combat), which I can't seem to understand. Currently, I got the same amount of mods I had when playing 0.8.1. I already tried disabling some options from GraphicsLib but can't seem to get at least 40-50 FPS. Could it be MagicLib or some new vanilla graphic improvements I haven't noticed? I play in an Acer Aspire E 15 (not a gaming laptop obviously), and when I played 0.8.1, I got 50-60 FPS in non-combat mode and 40-50 in combat. So, any idea what it might be? :/

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: (0.9a) FPS decrease when in combat.
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 06:38:47 PM »

Do you have a dedicated gfx card on the laptop? If so, what is it and are you sure SS is using said card?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Lutor27

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 08:09:01 PM »

Do you have a dedicated gfx card on the laptop? If so, what is it and are you sure SS is using said card?

I have an Intel HD graphics 620 (i know, not the best for gaming :/, but it is what it is) which is an integrated one. I only got 128 MB of dedicated memory tho. Now, the strange thing is that in 0.8.1 I didn't have any problems with FPS (only when playing with Knights Templar), I would normally get 50-60 FPS.

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 10:40:21 AM »

I already tried disabling some options from GraphicsLib
Try disabling the whole thing and using it solely as a compatibility mod to see if that makes a difference.
Go into the mod folder for GraphicsLib and open the file GRAPHICS_OPTIONS.ini, change the first setting of "enableShaders" to read false, then save and run the game and see if it still does this.

I have an i3, which tbf is a less than ideal platform. And while it could run vanilla plus a host of mods fine in 0.8, since 0.9 its really struggled with GraphicsLib despite nothing obvious being different. There's probably a lot more stuff going on the background now.
Turning GLib "off" removed the problem for me.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 12:36:39 PM »

Using no additional graphic tweaks, I get 60 fps in 95% of combat situations. On the campaign map I can sometimes drop to 30ish fps during short periods of time. If I defend or assault a starbase, I'm guaranteed to go below 60. I'm not sure what would happen if I did use those shaders but I can imagine they're quite demanding. Using a 3.7ghz CPU and a GTX 960 here.

Lutor27

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 04:15:12 PM »

I already tried disabling some options from GraphicsLib
Try disabling the whole thing and using it solely as a compatibility mod to see if that makes a difference.
Go into the mod folder for GraphicsLib and open the file GRAPHICS_OPTIONS.ini, change the first setting of "enableShaders" to read false, then save and run the game and see if it still does this.

I have an i3, which tbf is a less than ideal platform. And while it could run vanilla plus a host of mods fine in 0.8, since 0.9 its really struggled with GraphicsLib despite nothing obvious being different. There's probably a lot more stuff going on the background now.
Turning GLib "off" removed the problem for me.

Thanks dude!! I'll try that, maybe that will solve my problem. I really don't care too much about shaders tbh.

EDIT: It really worked! Got my sweet 60 FPS back, and the game still looks graphically good imo. Thanks for the tip! :)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2019, 05:39:10 PM by Lutor27 »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 08:50:48 AM »

Glad you've uncovered a mystery and are happy with the result.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 09:59:26 AM »

Perhaps the problem could also be mods which may put a far greater than normal load of the graphics card?

It doesn't affect me with a GTX960, but perhaps there should be an ingame settings option to turn on and off shaders for those who are affected?