Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Make repair/restock at base take time  (Read 2967 times)

xor0

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Make repair/restock at base take time
« on: January 22, 2019, 09:48:25 AM »

Like in outer space takes time after every battle, then fighting next to a colony you can kill unlimited fleets for loot by docking a lot.

Let them run away a bit when it's obvious they lost, make resupply/repairs take time based on resources used, maybe upto a day for heavy repair for lots of ships.

ErrantSingularity

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Make repair/restock at base take time
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2019, 05:41:10 PM »

If some dudes with welding torches can my fleet to full on the fly, an entire drydock of professionals with equipment can do it in probably an hour or two.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2019, 07:14:33 PM »

and what game play benefits it will bring?

ATM your crew can restore capital from "destoyed+shattered" state instantly after combat in the middle of nowhere without any machinery or drydock.

why similar process done by dedicated facility should take any time?

xor0

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 04:49:05 AM »

"ATM your crew can restore capital from "destoyed+shattered" state instantly after combat in the middle of nowhere without any machinery or drydock."

Really? How? Always take time for me.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 06:04:27 AM »

As RawCode says, from pieces to a recovered hull with 0% hull and 0% armor (or more with Industry skills) after winning combat and looting the spoils.  Not supply consumption during travel as hull and armor are slowly repaired.

xor0

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2019, 09:35:39 AM »

Oh OK, yes I was talking about resupply and repair. As I said, the game benefits are avoiding yet another way to get a quick cheese fortune, just instantly docking and fighting to kill every member of an attacking force. Instead if repairing takes time they have some time to disperse.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2019, 11:32:18 PM »

Wasting time of player is hardly "benefit".

xor0

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2019, 06:08:21 AM »

No, you don't sit there waiting for it to repair. You repair instantly as normal, when you come out some time has passed.

Or maybe you just like slaughtering endless waves of enemies by such cheese so you can amass a game winning fortune in 5 minutes. There is too much of that already.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2019, 03:32:20 PM »

and what game play benefits it will bring?

ATM your crew can restore capital from "destoyed+shattered" state instantly after combat in the middle of nowhere without any machinery or drydock.

why similar process done by dedicated facility should take any time?

I think the repair rate should be slowed SIGNIFINCATLY (but also resource consumption during repair to balance it out)
Right now it is way too fast.

Ragni

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2019, 06:02:33 PM »

-1 for how its described in OP.
Instead of "repairs taking time", one could put the station/planet/market location on cooldown after performing repairs, or disallow repairs (because hot plasma is being fired all over the place), then again, why, its a bit annoying if someone is fighting and you dont even care you just want to fix your junk.
Then again, if the only reason is to reduce cheese tactics in some other game design, its better to tackle that specific design rather than make workarounds to fix cheese.

Never had issues or thoughts about how "broken" instant fix is, enemy can do the same by suddenly spawning a fresh fleet on players face.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 06:20:03 PM by Ragni »

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2019, 06:48:19 PM »

looks like this thread is reason why mobile games with real time coundowns of multiple hours are popular and profitable...

wasting time waiting for ship repairs doing nothing is not fun period

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 06:51:08 AM »

Never had issues or thoughts about how "broken" instant fix is, enemy can do the same by suddenly spawning a fresh fleet on players face.
AI has unlimited resources, and there were few times I had a giant deathball spawn right before I touch a pirate or pather base.

When the player is in his system with its colonies, quick repairs gives the player a home field advantage.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 07:41:31 AM »

I don't see the point of such a game change. Generally speaking, if you are fighting multiple fleets next to a station, you are fighting for your life or colony, not for loot. It is solving a nonexistant problem. I guess in theory when you click repair, some simulated outside time could have passed, but then it'll get a bit awkward if the intervening time meant that the station you was on got obliterated in the meantime.

What would be nice though if you could hide at a station for some time. Sometimes you don't want to fight and you are over a planet, but there is a pirate force nearby chasing you. Why can't you just land in the station and wait till the pirate fleet leaves or is chased off?