Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 0.51a Plasma cannon versus Onslaught  (Read 4676 times)

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
0.51a Plasma cannon versus Onslaught
« on: March 08, 2012, 03:34:21 PM »

In about 4 fights against fleets with 3-5 Onslaught  I noticed that the plasma cannon salvo bugged when impacting Onslaught battleships. The first of 3 projectiles usually hit at contact, but the 2nd and sometimes the 3rd one just flew through the ship, hitting its other side, or simply not hitting at all.

This is very upsetting because a 2250 focused dmg salvo becomes a 2250 spread dmg salvo in the best scenario.

Could not screenshot in time, but if you have trouble reproducing the bug, I think I can make a ss if I focus on it.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
Re: 0.51a Plasma cannon versus Onslaught
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 03:57:15 PM »

That's odd. I would imagine that they would have an easier time hitting an onslaught. In one of my games I have an odyssey that has a dual plasma cannon setup, and its had no problems landing all 6 shots on the correct side of the targets I've fought with it (things like enforcers, dominators, ventures, tarsus freighters).

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »

The thing is, the first shot hits the target, and the next one(s) go through it and hit the opposite side of the target or not hit at all. I didn't encounter this issue when firing at smaller ships.

Like A, B and C are the PC projectiles: ( Odyssey ) ---> A( Onslaught )B,C

The bug doesn't happen all the time...about 30%. Until now, only when I'm vs an Onslaught. Gonna try to take a SS , but it's rather hard with all that action going on.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 08:38:35 PM »

Ah, so only against onslaughts. Ok, I'll give that a shot.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 08:51:12 PM »

you can see this bug happening in the star trek mod videos. ill link it if i can find it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx-IyrbtrKc&feature=youtu.be

can be seen with volleys' at 1:21 1:26 1:48 1:54 1:57 2:32 2:34 2:44 2:59 3:15 3:51 3:57 (3:57 completely goes threw the target and misses) 4:23 4:41

so yea.. seems to happen quite a bit.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 09:09:10 PM by arwan »
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 09:08:02 PM »

I've been playing a test mission with a paragon w/ four plasma cannons vs. an onslaught, but I never managed to get the bug to occur.

Back in .5a, I had this happen at the very edge of a map, with any ship, but that was due to a problem that alex supposedly fixed with the collision detection boundaries on the map being too small.

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:48:33 PM »

@arwan:

Exactly! Just that I have the vanilla version and I didn't have any mods. Also I only used the solo Odyssey turret for my PC.

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »

How odd (just saw the edit with the video). I've never seen this before under normal circumstances.

Maybe on smaller targets its just less noticeable?

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:20:26 PM »

I've got  50 battles with this Odyssey . The thing is the PC hits very well the smaller targets. I've only seen the bug against Onslaught, but maybe it's only against cap ships. I only fought 6 Paragons per total.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 12:28:12 PM »

Ought to be fixed up.

This is related to the frame rate - when it's down to about 30, there's a chance for collisions with plasma shots to be missed, because the code there was looking at the desired frame rate, not the actual one.

Probably only showing up on Onslaughts for you because they bring the fps down :)

Avan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:06 PM »

Ah, and it never popped up for me because I never went below 60.

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 01:33:37 PM »

Ah...yeah my PC is kinda old...