Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What What?! Mother Ships?  (Read 4964 times)

SupaMuffinMan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What What?! Mother Ships?
« on: January 17, 2019, 04:58:36 AM »

Hello everyone,

So i was watching youtube, looking at game play footage of starsector when i bumped into one that captured a mother ship?! Had a read through the comments and 1 said that you can no longer capture mother ships? so my big q's is... wtf? why are we not able to capture mother ships? that thing looked bad ass, a big long out battle to get the mother ship. Is there a mod or something that allows us to capture mother ships again?

cheers.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What What?! Mother Ships?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2019, 05:05:23 AM »

The mothership is a big automated exploration platform that possesses technology that is unmaintainable or usable by the local human population. The same goes for all automated equipment of that scale and complexity. This being all before the legality of such technology being strictly prohibited by Hegemonic law and the Luddite faith.

Not to mention that while the mothership makes for a great boss opponent it's very unlikely to be all that interesting as a player owned ship.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

SupaMuffinMan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2019, 05:30:23 AM »

ah damn thats a shame, well thanks for the fast reply!  ;D

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 08:08:23 AM »

they have no FTL drive and engines, ever if you capture it, it wont fly anywhere

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 09:15:29 AM »

I have to ask what the youtube video comment was, as in vanilla you never could capture mother ships. It was simply a taste or one of the easier of potential bosses with the, then new, station battles and exploration based enemies. It may have potentially been an oversight with the "Useable [REDACTED]" mod allowing use of the mother ship, but I wouldn't know as I never used that mod.

Exploration based spoilers below:

Spoiler
The other exploration based enemy and station battle were the remnants behind the warning beacons with their own varying degrees of difficulty for their stations (shield-less and damaged station or pristine condition battle station). In 0.8 the fully powered remnant battle station was the toughest battle in the game aside from mods or making super large fleet battles. Also, cool note is the the remnant station looks like the Tri-Tachyon logo.
[close]

SupaMuffinMan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »

" cool note is the the remnant station looks like the Tri-Tachyon logo."

ah that is cool seeing the Tri Logo on it!

As for the video " https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SdOUOkQREA " I neglected to see the Mod link " http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=431.0" as i was to hyped on the video  :o.

and the comment i saw was this:

[The Generalissimo 4 years ago]
"Be aware everybody that this game is vastly updated and you can no longer capture the mothership.?"

But yea after this thread was posted and the reply's after I went back to the video and there in plain site was the Mod indercation lol.

Sorry everyone.

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 10:54:15 PM »

The mod showcased in this video is Ironclads Total Conversion.
Original mod is only for version 0.7.2a (current version - 0.9):
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=431.0

There was a revival of the mod for 0.8.1a:
http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=12119.0

If you really want to play with these ships, you'd have to download correct Starsector version and mod for that version.
Keep in mind that the ship in thumbnail is boardable in both versions (checked the files), though I don't really recommend playing the older version of the game, because mechanics which were in older versions may have been removed and/or reworked in later versions of Starsector.
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 06:40:07 AM »

Oh wow. 0.7 was quite a long while ago, i'd even forgot the AI had a Surrender option at one point. In short, i guess it got figured out but that's a mod, in the current version of SS there is a thing called a mothership, but is not that and definitely isn't capturable or salvageable without mods. To be fair, Starsector's more about the interesting ships to fly, not necessarily the biggest ships to fly.