Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Black Hole Visual Update  (Read 2676 times)

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Black Hole Visual Update
« on: January 15, 2019, 10:50:59 PM »

black holes don't look like a black orb. I'm sure you know this; for those who don't they're a distortion in the sky, a spot where a star isn't that grows and consumes all the light the closer you get to it.

It's extremely hard to depict in film or photography -- the fixed and static depictions make showing how different it is, the way the sky gets blacked out gradually. This game tho, could easily use the distortion effect that the enhanced graphics suite uses to apply a distortion affect to ship explosions to replace the "black star" graphic for black holes with a single black point, that gets distorted into being larger and larger the closer you get to it with the background it's blocking out being flattened into a ring that's squashed around the growing void, with the "event horizon" terrain being applied once the blacked-out sky takes up half the screen with your own fleet becoming a part of the distortion ring with a mirrored version of yourself on the far side of the ring
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Black Hole Visual Update
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 06:49:27 AM »

google+blackholes+images
select one you like most and post it here.

ps
probably it looks great, but from gameplay perspective it will be complete disaster, especially if you take in account existence of other objects that may be near blackhole same moment as your fleet

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 10:49:01 AM »

So a black hole probably looks pretty close to what you see in game.

Most theortrical black hole images are along the acretion disk. Whereas the game has the disk perpendicular

The reason that you can “see” the distortion around the edge of a black hole is because there is a lot of light on the back side of the black hole. That light tries to go away and then gets pulled around to be traveling parallel to the accredion disk.

Similarly disk on shots have significant star fields behind the black holes that can be distorted. But these star fields are composite shots and adjusted shots. They largely dont exist and only do exist for the purpose of showing the spacial distortion... which you otherwise would not notice because they would not be bright enough in the visual spectrum to make a difference.

iamseron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:16:58 PM »

These pictures are neat.

Spoiler
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 07:21:54 PM by iamseron »

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 07:43:24 PM »

Sure, but they also arent pictures. They arent even false color images. They're CGI with false color or long exposure backgrounds. Nothing is close enough in space to produce the kind of brightness that is required to produce distortion that you can see with the naked eye

If you were close you could see images like the one In interstellar(though it would be blue) but this would require you to be on the same plane as the accretion disk. When we look at the hole in game we are looking at the disk from a point tangential to the plane. There would be no light behind the black hole to be distorted. All you would see would be a black dot.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 12:47:57 AM »

well, IRL black holes are invisible, you won't see anything, as "vision" rely on reflected light, and there will be none.

it's only possible to "see" effects related to matter that fall into black hole on immerse speed, something like this:

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 01:45:58 AM »

well, IRL black holes are invisible, you won't see anything, as "vision" rely on reflected light, and there will be none

That's what my goal is in OP; the black hole wouldn't be a static "black star" graphic but a hole in the background graphic that grows the closer you get to it

These pictures are neat.

Spoiler
[/url]
[close]

This is exactly what I'm going for except the size of the whole effect grows with proximity with the max size being taking up half the screen at the point where you hit the "event horizon" terrain that starts damaging your fleet
maybe even make them visible from hyperspace?
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 02:26:22 AM »

well, IRL black holes are invisible, you won't see anything, as "vision" rely on reflected light, and there will be none

That's what my goal is in OP; the black hole wouldn't be a static "black star" graphic but a hole in the background graphic that grows the closer you get to it

These pictures are neat.

Spoiler
[/url]
[close]

This is exactly what I'm going for except the size of the whole effect grows with proximity with the max size being taking up half the screen at the point where you hit the "event horizon" terrain that starts damaging your fleet
maybe even make them visible from hyperspace?
A growing visual would certainly make it feel more dangerous, add to that the suck effect, a possible warning beep that gets more frequent the closer you get and you got some elements to make it feel more threatening than it actually is.