Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Drop Phaeton down to Burn 8 to match Buffalo (And is this the standard now?)  (Read 6050 times)

AxleMC131

• Admiral
  • Amateur World-Builder
    • View Profile

I was wondering about whether the Brawler was intended or not. As it is, at burn speed 9 I don't see any real reason as to why a player fleet would want to ever buy the ship except as a way to fill up spare deployment points. I suppose it does have 2 medium mounts for 4 CR, but compared to other burn 9 ships that's not that impressive.

As with all things, I think you ought to actually try it out, rather than being deterred by mere stats. As it is, with the advent of Sustained Burn and the recent buff to Augmented Drive Field, burn speed is a far smaller issue than it once was - a burn 9 frigate is very acceptable early-game (... I hope you haven't been avoiding the Dram for the same reason, cos if so you've probably been finding the early-game way harder than it is) since relative to how fast you can travel, 1 burn difference is negligible.

Burn speeds aside, I'm surprised at that report of the Brawler. It's a very hardy ship and has almost unmatched forward firepower for a ship of its size. Damper Field ensures it can tank shots and missiles it can't avoid or shoot down (having no PD options), and the two medium ballistics make a meal of just about anything it can catch. It's slow, sure, and needs assistance from friendly ships, but it's not something you'd use to chase other frigates down: with the right loadout, it's a destroyer destroyer. You ought to give it a chance.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile

I was wondering about whether the Brawler was intended or not. As it is, at burn speed 9 I don't see any real reason as to why a player fleet would want to ever buy the ship except as a way to fill up spare deployment points. I suppose it does have 2 medium mounts for 4 CR, but compared to other burn 9 ships that's not that impressive.

As with all things, I think you ought to actually try it out, rather than being deterred by mere stats. As it is, with the advent of Sustained Burn and the recent buff to Augmented Drive Field, burn speed is a far smaller issue than it once was - a burn 9 frigate is very acceptable early-game (... I hope you haven't been avoiding the Dram for the same reason, cos if so you've probably been finding the early-game way harder than it is) since relative to how fast you can travel, 1 burn difference is negligible.

Burn speeds aside, I'm surprised at that report of the Brawler. It's a very hardy ship and has almost unmatched forward firepower for a ship of its size. Damper Field ensures it can tank shots and missiles it can't avoid or shoot down (having no PD options), and the two medium ballistics make a meal of just about anything it can catch. It's slow, sure, and needs assistance from friendly ships, but it's not something you'd use to chase other frigates down: with the right loadout, it's a destroyer destroyer. You ought to give it a chance.

Also just to add, the brawler acts as excellent distracting ship against the enemy fleet. If you are just looking for cannon fodder in a fleet, brawlers are excellent. Its frigate size means its small and hard to hit, decent speed for distracting cruisers and destroyers, and 2 medium ballstics for medium kinetics. Best thing is the ship ability - brawler is amazingly tanky for a frigate. Slap on some autocannons + missiles, reinforced bulkheads, and augmented drives and you have yourself a perfect meatshield. If you lose the ship, just recover it and toss it back into battle after two days of repairs.

Tempest

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Also, the TT brawler has more ordinance points. Slap two Annihilator pods on it with some IR Pulse lasers, and it's a bigger Khopesh that will keep spamming rockets and lasers until the end of the fight.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile

The difference between burn 9 and burn 10 is loading a save point. Burn speed is the most important consideration of any ship until the point where you are fighting battle stations. If you got a burn 9 ship in your fleet, then what you need to compare it with are other burn 9 (or higher) ships, not burn 10 ships.

Oh and of course I've played with the ship. I'm wouldn't be posting if I was. Augmented Drive Field is not a guarantee (though I seem to find it early on every game I've played I am but a sample size of one), and it greatly diminishes the combat power of a brawler, sustained burn doesn't matter if you simply run into an untenable situation, and you don't seem to realise that a Dram actually has burn 10, because of you want it to have a base burn 10 fleet, you'll give it Militarized Subsystem.

Also just to add, the brawler acts as excellent distracting ship against the enemy fleet. If you are just looking for cannon fodder in a fleet, brawlers are excellent. Its frigate size means its small and hard to hit, decent speed for distracting cruisers and destroyers, and 2 medium ballstics for medium kinetics. Best thing is the ship ability - brawler is amazingly tanky for a frigate. Slap on some autocannons + missiles, reinforced bulkheads, and augmented drives and you have yourself a perfect meatshield. If you lose the ship, just recover it and toss it back into battle after two days of repairs.
There is no such thing as connon fodder unless you are so rich that losing ships no longer affects you, in which case nothing much matters. Augmented Drive Field makes a brawler weak. If burn 9 + 2 is what you want, then you must compare brawler with burn 9 + 2 ships. Losing ships and repairing it is just the same as any other ship.

Also, the TT brawler has more ordinance points. Slap two Annihilator pods on it with some IR Pulse lasers, and it's a bigger Khopesh that will keep spamming rockets and lasers until the end of the fight.
So...5 OP more than a Lasher? Which is actually quite nice but not that nice. Also those weapons aren't possible on a TT Brawler anyways. And by end of fight, you mean the Annihilator Rocket Pods runs out in less than a minute.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 04:14:46 PM by Plantissue »
Pages: 1 [2]