Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Raid improvments  (Read 2288 times)

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Raid improvments
« on: January 03, 2019, 04:20:49 PM »

Inspired by THIS post

What I'm seeing is, raiding is pointless when you get high "effectiveness" since it doesn't really get you more loot and actually just decivilize the target faster.
So here are my two cents:
1.Make the stability reduction constant 1 per raid despite of effectiveness.
2.Make the buff "extra preparation" or whatever that boosts the defense point for defender proportional to the stability reduction caused by raid.
3.Make loot type dependent on effectiveness and make player able to specify a loot type.
For instance, you can get general merchandise below 40%, you can get fuel and supply when over 40, you can try steal ships or weapons when over 60 and finally go for blueprints when over 70. You can specify a loot type when you're qualified to, otherwise just random mix of loots you're qualified for.
4.Make loot amount related to market size
It's just funny you're able to easily get full XIV collection ignoring the size 8 and save-scum on size 5.

Comments?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 04:23:08 PM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Raid improvments
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 01:02:46 PM »

I think that instead of rolling dice, player should be allowed to select goods he want, amount of goods he can "take" should depend on relative raid power.
GUI will look exactly like normal trading with all possible loot listed.

This will fix all known issues with randomness of blueprints and decivilisation from overraiding.

If player managed to run raid with 10k marines, managed to wipe all deathballs and t6 station (with only one capital at time, with multiple capitals lost in process) he should get reward he want, instead of random "reward" (in form of vendor trash).

This also will fix save scumming issues.

To make things more simple, raid power should have conversion rate into credits and just use market price of goods.
If you have 2kk in raid power, you can take what you want, if you have 100k well, probably you will get only some vendor trash, but also you get exact values about how large your raid need to be, if you want "better" things.

If you reraid again and again, your 100k do not "accumulate" and such activity will never allow to get better things, just more vendor trash.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »

...instead of rolling dice...

That's not the point.
I've always seen Starsector having the taste of a roguelike game, which you try to cheat the dice but not just make it guaranteed 6 every time.
Removing randomness completely would simply make the raid mechanic unfun, since you can almost perfectly predict outcome, losing the uncertainty and significantly lower end-game content difficulty.
It would simply make players grind over major factions instead of doing probe since hey, you know you can "buy" a certain blueprint at certain price.

What should be done is that player needs to have certain control over randomness, and the more effort player puts in, the more control he gains.
At the end of the day, you may be able to get 50% rolling a 6. You can still get screwed from time to time but hey, you still get challenged, you don't feel easily bored.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 07:59:34 PM »

If there will be randomness, then the stability drop needs to be limited to -1.  I can only raid a market once or twice before I need to leave it alone (I do not want to kill the market after a blueprint raid).

With current raid mechanics, where stability drops like a rock after one or two raids, I want a guaranteed blueprint drop after I raid for valuables.  The grinding (for blueprints) is too much, much like Diablo 2 magic find or leveling runs.

P.S.  Currently blueprint raids are at least as obnoxious as 0.6 and 0.7 era boarding, where you had a small chance to successfully boarding a ship (via hard dock), and some ships were very rare.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 08:05:20 PM by Megas »

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2019, 12:59:29 PM »

If there will be randomness, then the stability drop needs to be limited to -1.  I can only raid a market once or twice before I need to leave it alone (I do not want to kill the market after a blueprint raid).

With current raid mechanics, where stability drops like a rock after one or two raids, I want a guaranteed blueprint drop after I raid for valuables.  The grinding (for blueprints) is too much, much like Diablo 2 magic find or leveling runs.

P.S.  Currently blueprint raids are at least as obnoxious as 0.6 and 0.7 era boarding, where you had a small chance to successfully boarding a ship (via hard dock), and some ships were very rare.
That's exactly what I'm suggesting. -1 stability for any effectiveness and effectiveness only determines what "types" of loot you can possibly get.
You're really not likely to raid Sindria with 70%  effectiveness for conquest unless you've killed it's star fortress, that gives player incentive to blow the big things instead of just always go for 40% to prevent stability drop.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2019, 03:28:16 PM »

Player only needs 40% threshold to disrupt industry, but he can raid for valuables at much lower %.  One time, I brought a small fleet of Dooms with as many marines as I can squeeze in (which is not much with phase ships) to sneak into a market and stealth raid with low %, possibly below 10%.  Loot gained was very small, but I was able to get a blueprint after much save-scumming with that token fleet.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2019, 09:24:43 PM »

Player only needs 40% threshold to disrupt industry, but he can raid for valuables at much lower %.  One time, I brought a small fleet of Dooms with as many marines as I can squeeze in (which is not much with phase ships) to sneak into a market and stealth raid with low %, possibly below 10%.  Loot gained was very small, but I was able to get a blueprint after much save-scumming with that token fleet.

THAT's total nonsense now lol. If you can just waste marines for blueprints even at extremely low effectiveness, why even bother fight? I'd say it should be at very least 25% effectiveness to even get something. 1:3 is a good number and it's also referred as "outnumbered" in any sort of war. Your "outnumbered" force shouldn't be getting even 1 food from local market.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2019, 06:01:04 AM »

Even though it is possible to raid for blueprints at single-digit %, it seems I need to save-scum much more before I get a blueprint.  Now, I bring enough for 40-50% and go.

Your "outnumbered" force shouldn't be getting even 1 food from local market.
You get very little loot at low %, but you probably do not care about vendor trash at all, only rare items like blueprints.

If all I get a single blueprint and nothing else, I consider that raid a success and mission accomplished, since I do not raid markets in core worlds for vendor trash, only for blueprints and possibly nanoforge/synchrotron.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 06:57:22 AM by Megas »