Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do not "fix" pirate deathball swarms  (Read 7866 times)

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Do not "fix" pirate deathball swarms
« on: December 30, 2018, 11:16:11 PM »

Just make them ever bigger but heavily dmodded and not using hulls from player's industry.

As far as i noticed, as soon as i get medusa blueprint, every pirate started to use medusa.

Cik

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Do not "fix" pirate deathball swarms
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2018, 12:15:23 AM »

i actually kind of like insane battles that take a while to resolve.

my only problem is the idea that such a battle is possible in such a degraded industrial base.

i mean, how could it possibly happen that a pirate band has like hundreds of millions of tons and tens of thousands of crew to throw at you.. and how could they maintain it?

i feel like the current lategame scale would be more reasonable if the sector was orders of magnitudes larger or something. still, the fights themselves are pretty fun. getting really "stuck in" and having to fight several battles in a row for a change, that's nice.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2018, 01:19:33 AM »

These are literally flying manufacturing defects...

Full upkeep of the High Command which creates fleets close in size and composition to these Attack ones is about 15K per month. And I think that pirates are expecting their forces to take heavy losses and this way their upkeep will be even lower due to some very unnatural deaths en masse.

Try to play the game without heavy industry and your faction will soon be looking exactly as pirate armadas.

Volfgarix

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2018, 01:42:59 AM »

Yeah, I used to have colony without industry, it was full of clunkers with the difference there were no pirate variants.
Pirate deathballs are quite fun because there is always that sense of terror when seeing one. They would use some variety in ships, though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2018, 09:48:36 AM by Volfgarix »

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2018, 03:21:13 AM »

I would prefer to see less dmods in endgame pirate fleets, rather than insane sizes. I want the challenge to grow, not to be *bored* by a 3 hour combat against a horde of weaklings. The first deathball may be fun, but after half a dozen of them the sheer grind wears me down.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 11:06:26 AM »

The biggest problem is 200 DP with 500 map size.  I cannot deploy a fleet, just a few big capitals that can maybe last through the whole endurance battle.

Need bigger maximum map size and bigger fleet cap.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 11:33:16 AM »

There's also an issue with core worlds being completely unable to defend themselves against such deathballs and slowly spiraling down into destabilization. Something has to be changed there.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »

As far as i noticed, as soon as i get medusa blueprint, every pirate started to use medusa.

(Not how it works, btw.
Spoiler
If you sell a blueprint on the black market, pirates eventually get access to it.
[close]
)

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 11:48:12 AM »

Im currently playing a long game with 200 cap. Capitals never run out of CR. Cruisers too (w. hardened subsystems). Only destroyers have endurance problems.

Honestly, even at 200 points, all those multi-armadas fights are really struggling to saturate my forces (they kill pirate ships faster than enemy deploy them and bring to the battle ). If Im to make a bigger cap it will be completely impossible for pirates to use numbers as a tactical advantage. In general its nice to to have to be efficient and not to solve all problems by pushing "All" button at deplyment screen. Also its profitable. Bigger fleets means more supply cost per deployment.

At least now they have that "The Horde" feeling to them. Watching all those fleets to flood the helpless system is kinda amusing. Shame we dont have some kind of notoriety system in game. Would be cool to have the "Savior of Tibicena" as an unofficial titling for use while talking to people on the said planet. And ability to have a name for my mercenary band before colonising a planet. Damn, at least "Kosmonara has arrived! That Kosmonara!" as an in-system message after you helped to save that system in some epic battle.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 12:17:43 PM »

not sold any blueprint, but had everything stored inside colony with open market.
probably they looted blueprint from me, as i "died" really large number of times and few raids on my capital was won by attackers.

pirate zergs swarms are fun, immersion breaking but fun, dunno how pirates managed to assemble 3kk fleet without any production, but i just love riding pirate deathballs.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2018, 12:58:24 PM »

not sold any blueprint, but had everything stored inside colony with open market.
probably they looted blueprint from me, as i "died" really large number of times and few raids on my capital was won by attackers.

Hmm. Double-checked the code, and it really looks like - outside of mods - the only way for this to happen is selling a blueprint on the black market.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2018, 01:41:11 PM »

immersion breaking

How zerg swarms are immersion breaking in the game about end of times?

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2018, 11:14:08 PM »

Hmm. Double-checked the code, and it really looks like - outside of mods - the only way for this to happen is selling a blueprint on the black market.

DelayedBlueprintLearnScript is triggered only for black market and there are no other triggers, still

Code
<knownShips z="572">
...list of stock hulls...

not a big deal
<st>buffalo_hegemony</st>
<st>wolf_hegemony</st>
<st>kite_hegemony</st>
<st>hound_hegemony</st>

quite disturbing
<st>apogee</st>
<st>shrike</st>
<st>wolf</st>
<st>medusa</st>
</knownShips>

for drama, next time i will sell and buy back paragon blueprint on black market, will see what happen with deathballs.

Reinhark

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2019, 12:39:34 AM »

I would like those pirate deathballs to not repeatedly retreat via super-civilian fleet after I wipe the floor.

Otherwise I never saw any problem with this. I like large battles.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2019, 06:08:16 PM »

yes pirates do deploy civilian ships for attack just to retreat few seconds later, after losing ships just to "escape limit" they will attempt to flee.
this may result in 2-3 civilian ships attacks before they actually retreat.

issue with this looks like same as "magnetic stations of doom" as soon as you hit 100 supply you can't escape, both for ai
Pages: [1] 2