Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Ai Bug  (Read 3903 times)

siefer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ai Bug
« on: March 08, 2012, 07:39:08 AM »

I entered a battle with two ship against a single ship. What I was expecting us to stomp on them but, my AI partner never got everywhere near the enemy ship and I almost lost because of that.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ai Bug
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:47:03 AM »

It was probably trying to circle the enemy ship for a pincer attack.

siefer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:51:16 AM »

It did a full circle and then just wandered away

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:30:40 AM »

I've seen this with ships that don't have the types of weapons they're expecting.  For example, a vigilance that has a phase beam but no missiles, seems to still try to act like it's long-range support, rather than short-range assault.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 09:55:25 AM »

I've seen this with ships that don't have the types of weapons they're expecting.  For example, a vigilance that has a phase beam but no missiles, seems to still try to act like it's long-range support, rather than short-range assault.

Hmm. That's all but impossible - the ship's entire conception of its role is based on the weapons it has. It doesn't know that it's a "Vigilance-class frigate".

Possibly the target was very scary, so the ship didn't want to engage at all.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »

Was just a couple of small pirate frigates; I forget the exact type - probably a hound and a lasher.  Maybe it thought it was under-armed?  It was just a phase beam, and that can't on its own punch through a lasher's shields...  (Annoying; I'd loaded it up with defensive mods since I didn't have a missile launcher to put on it, and then it just circled out of range and let me kill everything without even attracting any enemy fire.)

I can experiment with this a bit more this evening, see if I can replicate the behavior.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:33:21 AM »

I've noticed the ai vigilence is kinda worthless, too. Seems overly reluctant to use his grav beam. Maybe he was scared of missiles since he doesn't have pd?

I've seen some weird ai stuff, but you pretty much have to be actively antagonistic. Like I got a hound to just keep flying straight as I pummeled him because he was trying to circle me, I think? He kept trying to turn, but then couldn't because I was coming up behind him on the inside, so I just wasted him from behind.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:51:53 AM »

Just ran some tests w/ an AI-controlled Vigilance, the standard variant - seems to be going fine, including closing in enough to use its Pulse Laser, when it had a good chance. It also beat down a standard Lasher, 1-1.

I'll keep an eye out, though.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:08:30 AM »

It's off and on. Shrug. Maybe I'm being overly critical. AI is really solid. To the point where I am now terrible, haha.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

siefer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 12:26:55 PM »

In my battle it was me with two hounds against a Lasher and i had his shield pointed at me when my ai partner just flew around the enemy and then flew away didn't even get anywhere near the enemy