Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Show other fleet's speeds  (Read 2575 times)

Maltose

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Show other fleet's speeds
« on: March 08, 2012, 05:39:26 AM »

Now, I haven't had the time to play 0.51a yet, so this might be a bit pointless.

I'd like to be able to see the speed of other fleets when I mouse over them, so I know whether or not I can actually catch up before I click on a fleet and spend 30 seconds waiting to see if the gap between our fleets is getting bigger or smaller.

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Show other fleet's speeds
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:08:47 AM »

One of the changes made in 0.51a is to have stepped fleet speeds--in other words, it's no longer possible to be 1m/s faster than the fleet you're chasing; it'll be obvious if you're catching or losing ground, and if you're not obviously doing either, you must be going the same speed as they are!

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »

It would still be nice to know.  What I'd actually like to see is a little indicator somewhere: "Pursuing pirate carrier group; intercept in: 2 days" or "Pursuing pirate scout; intercept in: never" or the like.

I'd also like to see which way things are headed on the map.  Would be nice to tell which dinky little pirate fleets are currently heading away from me and aren't worth chasing.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2012, 06:57:07 PM »

This really needs to be shown, IMO.  You'd figure that if you can DETECT the enemy fleet from far away, you could at least vaguely figure it's speed as well.

powerbonger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2012, 07:52:04 PM »

Instead of adding it as a constant feature, how about an in-game solution? Like, say, picking a "Navigator" or equivalent skill on your commander's skill tree, or having some sort of hardware upgrade that can calculate fleet speeds?

I'm aware that its not really a solution at the current build, yes. Just thinking that it might be good for the future :D

Tchey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Jeux1d100
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 06:45:16 AM »

I'd like to see some special crews, or maybe a new feature like "command computer" or something.
Then, we could either recrut crew or upgrade the computer (or both) to see the speed and other stuffs.
A bit like in X-universe games (ie X3 Terran conflict) with assistants for trading, fighting, targeting, etc.