Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Are 5 weapon groups enough?  (Read 8066 times)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Are 5 weapon groups enough?
« on: December 28, 2018, 01:48:57 AM »

Honestly, it often feel like too little, especially on bigger ships.

Depending on how weapon mounts are positioned and their types, 5 simply isn't enough to make effective use of the firepower a ship has. I often find myself having to change weapons or group weapons I don't really want to, simply because I have no slots left.

I know the main issue is readability, but I don't see an issue.
Do you really need a detail list of all guns the ship you put together? You already know it, and the ammo and weapon counter really only matters for the weapon group you are currently controlling... and missiles, but missiles are almost never on auto-fire anyway.
Basically, non-active weapon groups can easily be collapsed (weapon count and average ammo is more than enough) or ommited entirely.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Are 5 weapon groups enough?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2018, 01:58:07 AM »

This has been brought up multiple times and I think most people said that 5 is enough for current ships (unless we get to pilot something bigger), but I guess having 6 couldn't hurt, especially for ships with lots of missile mounts. And I wholeheartedly agree about collapsing unnecessary info since that can take up almost a third of screen if you're using lots of different weapons.
Please don't take me too seriously.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2018, 02:15:04 AM »

5 is enough? Hell, it's not enough for me even for vanilla ship. Well, it's fine for a few smaller ones.

I mean, one CAN work with just 5, but it's so grossly inefficient - even moreso with mods.

Consider this - a cruiser with several front missiles, left big guns, right big guns, left PD guns, right PD guns, rear PD guns and centerline/front guns. There is NO WAY you can effectively use that.

You either have to group PD into one group (thus limiting your PD to attacking just one target at a time and only on one side) or group you biggr guns with the same problem.

If the target is to your left, you right guns are going to do nothing even if there are targets there.

Now if you have multiple missile slots it gets even worse, since missiles are something you want to have control over. You can forget about having different missile types, since there aren't enough groups to fire them separately, and firing a slave of different missiles for different roles is a waste, so everyone always just uses 1 type of missiles.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2018, 02:20:27 AM »

Well yea I understand it's even worse with mods, but I always group all PD in the same group. I don't see the benefit of splitting PD into separate groups since they hardly use any flux so they're always worth firing. Unless you want the speed boost from 0 flux but then I just use ''hold fire''.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2018, 02:37:33 AM »

AI controlled weapons can be in same group but will fire in independent manner, player can't handle PD weapons properly anyway.

Personally i would like to see dedicated PD weapon group as 5th group, that does not show in HUD and cannot be controlled by player with exception to "hold fire".
This will make HUD more accurate and clean.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2018, 02:49:06 AM »

Rather than just increasing group count there are some other improvements I'd also like to see.
Namely including weapons into multiple groups and switching alternating/linked fire in combat.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2018, 02:56:21 AM »

changing weapon groups at any moment will improve situation, especially in case, when player not distributed weapons (forgot) and stuck in situation, when ship is not really combat ready and all weapons in same group and there is nothing to do about it.

cybersol

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2018, 05:16:01 AM »

Truly this is my number one gripe about the game so far. I've seen in other places that Alex say that combat is the biggest focus of the game and that many other game design decisions are made to get keep it front and center. Well if that is true, then the combat UI and control interfaces should be major priorities. 

I want at least 1-0 weapon groups, assigning a single weapon to multiple groups, and selecting multiple groups at the same time.
I want the HUD and in combat text displays to be less cluttered by default, but with at least one or more overlay/pop-up layers accessible for more detail.

Reading the rest of the thread, weapons groups do matter a ton for the AI! You can manipulate its behavior and effectiveness by creative use of weapon groups. For example, link instead of alternate two sabots so the AI overloads their shields more, or link your short range armor stripping missiles (the AI never seems to use) to the ballistic weapons it does use.

I'm routinely need 6-7 weapons groups on cruisers and 8-9 on capitals, and that is without assigning weapons to multiple groups implemented yet.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2018, 05:35:28 AM »

or link your short range armor stripping missiles (the AI never seems to use) to the ballistic weapons it does use.

This seems very dangerous to me.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 05:41:33 AM »

Now that auto-assign is very liberal, five is no longer enough.  Now it feels like I need six or seven.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2018, 05:47:58 AM »

changing weapon groups at any moment will improve situation, especially in case, when player not distributed weapons (forgot) and stuck in situation, when ship is not really combat ready and all weapons in same group and there is nothing to do about it.
I'm surprised that the game doesn't auto assign weapon groups if you strip and fit weapons without checking the weapon group screen. AI doesn't care if everything is in its group 5, but the player does and if he unknowingly tries to pilot such a ship, he'll find the best he can do is to try to bother autofire as little as possible.

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2018, 08:14:25 PM »

I would like 1 or 2 more tbh

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2018, 05:09:42 AM »

Well yea I understand it's even worse with mods, but I always group all PD in the same group. I don't see the benefit of splitting PD into separate groups since they hardly use any flux so they're always worth firing. Unless you want the speed boost from 0 flux but then I just use ''hold fire''.

You don't? A single group can only target a single enemy. Hence, putting all PD into a single group means that even if you have 20 PD guns and 10 missile incoming, all will focus on one missile. And PD guns on different sides of the ship will not target independantly.
Which means if you have missiles coming from the left and the right, even if you have enough PD to take out all of them, you actually won't.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2018, 05:24:26 AM »

I swear most people here don't even play the game, they just want attention on forums. Dude literally when you open basic tutorial with the Hammerhead there's a situation where PD lasers attack more missiles at once. Or if you're too lazy to start up the game just look up videos with huge fights and see how weapons under AI work.

Edit: Oh yeah you're the guy that likes to fight with everyone and post 2011 9gag memes. Should've known better and never come to this thread.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:30:14 AM by Grievous69 »

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2018, 05:29:22 AM »

I swear most people here don't even play the game, they just want attention on forums. Dude literally when you open basic tutorial with the Hammerhead there's a situation when PD lasers attack more missiles at once. Or if you're too lazy to start up the game just look up videos with huge fights and see how weapons under AI work.

Then the behavior must have changed at some point. Either way, regardless of PD behavior, more weapon groups is still desireable.
Pages: [1] 2