Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Hemsmanship Zero flux 1% Bug  (Read 6993 times)

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hemsmanship Zero flux 1% Bug
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »

It's supposed to be 1%. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be about that.
Oh you made it quite clear.
The problem is that I personally think 1% is a wasted skillpoint. So my options are either change the zero flux boost perk from helmsmanship 3 to what I initially found acceptable or make a mod that literally removes the 3rd level perk from the game, so I can have a less annoying experience leveling my officers, because getting just 2 levels on helmsmanship can be a bother when you are trying to set the officers up with specific skills and hiring and refiring them endlessly doesn't seem very sane either.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2018, 06:22:50 PM »

Alright - but in that case I don't understand why you expected it to be 5% after a clean reinstall :) It's ok, though.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2018, 06:38:15 PM »

Alright - but in that case I don't understand why you expected it to be 5% after a clean reinstall :) It's ok, though.
Well I did a clean install in the first place and had 5%, so...I dunno.

:) It's ok, though.
I dunno Alex, the great entropy of the universe and slowdown of everything has me worried. It starts with hullmod changes, skill nerfs and eventually ends up with heat death and lack of movement in atoms.
Going fast is fun for me and I am afraid that way of life is dying out. Replaced with carriers, fleet management, zombie fleets or worse:economic prosperity. Beating my enemies over the head with Loadsamoney just doesn't feel as satisfying as personally flying an elite ship and doing things yourself. Being fast enables the player do get to the action faster and do more stuff.

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2018, 09:19:47 AM »

Yeah, I'm 99,9% sure the skill description showed 1% when I first moused over all the skills, some days ago. Now it's 5%.

It could be an issue with mods, but all the mods I'm currently using have been active from the start, so...

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2018, 09:51:31 AM »

Here's my input on this. 0.9a first release had 1% written in the UI, i'm talking just the skill UI here. Somewhere in RC8 or 9 the UI switched to 5%. I am unsure on what's actually happening in the game, but i know that on RC10 it shows as 1%. Either way, i know for sure since i had to do a triple-double-take on it since i was discussing skills on the forums, i mentioned the 1%, someone said it's 5% in the game (after a new RC), i confirmed ingame, and apparently i don't exactly know when, it switched to 1% again.

Nomods minus battlechatter and rotary guns. Gamefolder is still named Starfarer and i've been overwriting installs in that location for years :P

LE: Made a new character, was 1%, until i got started to level up the character, and just before getting Helsmanship 3, it showed "5%". Still showing 5% after i got the skill, and 5% after i reloaded the game. Reloaded my main and it was now showing 5%. o.o Restarted the entire game. 1% again for my main. 1% for the test character.

All pictures here, nothing was changed in between restarts at all.

LE: Reloaded game, 5% again. I have no ideea what's going on and what's applying or not.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2018, 10:29:20 AM by Cosmitz »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »

Oh, hah - looks like I'd left some debugging code in that was setting it to 5 (which was only coincidentally the old value) in some set of circumstances (i.e. a carrier being deployed in combat + some other stuff). Fixed, whew!

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2018, 12:09:43 PM »

Awesome, glad to have this tracked down, i was thinking i'd lost it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2018, 12:25:01 PM »

Yeah, from the last couple of posts, it was getting preeeetty weird :)

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2018, 05:55:03 PM »

Oh, hah - looks like I'd left some debugging code in that was setting it to 5 (which was only coincidentally the old value) in some set of circumstances (i.e. a carrier being deployed in combat + some other stuff). Fixed, whew!

:'( My thread was moved to modding when I correctly put it under bug report all along.

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 01:25:51 AM »

So now level 3 helmsmanship is useless now?
Wow, without it you lost the (already marginal) zero flux boost if you fired or shielded anything at all, now you lose it if more than a single Reliant MG fires, what a great improvement.

At this point i'd say to get rid of skills in the first place and make the ships even more customizable as a trade off
On the left half of the Bell curve

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2018, 01:51:43 AM »

Fixed, whew!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2018, 06:00:35 AM »

The 1% is a tad rash . Even ignoring weapons, a Lasher for example, at 56 flux/s with max caps (4500) can't keep the speed boost up with shields on, and i guess the whole point of that skill was to allow exactly this. It needs stabilised shields (or other skills) to be able to do this. On my max Tech/Combat character i get 4710 with 42, which is enough, but entirely barely enough barring skills.

On a combat Hammerhead i get with my max Tech/Combat char 7420 at 75. However, this works, due to more vents and i guess how often the game checks said level and moves the entire discussion away from the point and into 'frames' of fluxchecking.

If Helmsmanship 3 was supposed to allow you to keep the shield up while getting noflux boost, then rework it to say/do exactly that. If it was meant to allow you firing PDs (which lasers, as shield upkeep, work too well given quick venting, versus a single shot of a machine gun 'bursting' through the 1% limit), then it's really not doing the job and a raise to 3% or so should keep it in check (thought it will entirely favor beam PD and even beam weapons due to mechanics).

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2018, 08:29:21 AM »

Wow, without it you lost the (already marginal) zero flux boost if you fired or shielded anything at all, now you lose it if more than a single Reliant MG fires, what a great improvement.

At this point i'd say to get rid of skills in the first place and make the ships even more customizable as a trade off

Fixed, whew!
Nooooooooooooooooooooooo.

The 1% is a tad rash .

I feel exactly this. My personal calculations is that anything below 3.25% is literally trash that I would never want to use even in special snow flake builds meant to leverage it and if it falls below that value I'd rather it gets removed so I have an easier time leveling my officers without having to avoid this trash while getting 2 points in helmsmanship.
5% is workable in specialized builds
6.49% with I can have fun in specialized builds.
9.46% Gives me ample room for feeling powerful in specialized builds.

Back in 7.2 it used to be 25%(lot of skills were very impactful) and you could do fun stuff like this
With 5% it looks like this

I wish the game gave more right now gave more options to give up shields, armor, combat readiness, other kind of stats except for range to let the player have a faster ship at the cost of safety.
I rather pilot a ship that burns twice as bright but half as long.
Right now the only ships that let me have a taste of fast is phase frigate ships,
Shrike https://webmshare.com/9O19D
And Odyssey
Honorable mention goes to Wolf as really early ship that easily accessible and possible to have fun with due to it's Phase Skimmer
Pages: 1 [2]