Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hemsmanship Zero flux 1% Bug  (Read 6995 times)

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
Hemsmanship Zero flux 1% Bug
« on: December 24, 2018, 01:59:20 PM »

I recently wanted to check what the old zero flux boost on helmsmanship was. So I tried to read it form some game files and then decided to double check by launching an older installation of my game 0.7.2. Got my answer.
When I returned to my current installation of the game 0.9a RC10 apparently the value changed in the menu form 5% to 1%, I ran a simulation and used some weapons of varying flux requirements and it indeed seems to be the case.

So my question is why would the skills values change and how can I fix it back?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Hemsmanship Zero flux 1% Bug
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2018, 02:06:06 PM »

Hmm - I'm confused, what's the bug?

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2018, 02:10:55 PM »

Hmm - I'm confused, what's the bug?
I didn't change any values. The zero flux boost with the helmsmanship skill it supposed to be 5%, right?  Well for some reason the game has set it as 1%.
This happened because I viewed(didn't change or save any of )the game files, or because I have 3 different version of the game installed on the PC and I ran an older version.
In any case, can you please tell me how to change it back to it's intended value?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2018, 02:17:36 PM »

Right, that's what I'm confused about - why is 5% the "intended" value? Am I missing something here, i.e. is there somewhere in-game that says it should be 5%? In 0.9a it's changed to 1%, which is the new intended value for... various balance reasons.

As far as changing it, you'd have to ... hmm, the simplest thing would be to create a mod where, in its ModPlugin.onApplicationLoad() method, it would set Helmsmanship.ZERO_FLUX_LEVEL = 5.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 02:29:27 PM »

Right, that's what I'm confused about - why is 5% the "intended" value? Am I missing something here, i.e. is there somewhere in-game that says it should be 5%?
But I....I...I swear I played the game with 5% zero flux boost, just yesterday, I was even doing tests on ships with it and everything.

In 0.9a it's changed to 1%, which is the new intended value for... various balance reasons.
But the wiki, but my memory of yesterday...Am I going insane? No, I checked one of the screenshots I made like a week ago, and it clearly shows 5%, here

As far as changing it, you'd have to ... hmm, the simplest thing would be to create a mod where, in its ModPlugin.onApplicationLoad() method, it would set Helmsmanship.ZERO_FLUX_LEVEL = 5.
Damn, I don't know *** about modding, was hoping a quick edit in a file would fix it.
But as it stands, this thing happened and I need help to get it back to it's original value.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 02:40:30 PM »

Weird, I too remember it being 5% in 0.9a, was this maybe a change in RC10 but not prior?

The patch notes for 0.9a have stuff like this, which also makes me think it may have been a later change:
Fighters
Fighters from the same carrier will now coordinate their attacks if launched together and given the proper distance to do so
Ordering fighters to engage builds flux up to slightly above 5%

Combat
Adding new assignments is free while the command frequency is open
Waypoints for new assignments will always be created at least 3000 units (3 map grid squares) from the map border
Ordering fighters to "engage" will set a ships minimum flux level to slightly over 5%
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 02:45:46 PM »

Weird, I too remember it being 5% in 0.9a, was this maybe a change in RC10 but not prior?

The patch notes for 0.9a have stuff like this, which also makes me think it may have been a later change:
Fighters
Fighters from the same carrier will now coordinate their attacks if launched together and given the proper distance to do so
Ordering fighters to engage builds flux up to slightly above 5%

Combat
Adding new assignments is free while the command frequency is open
Waypoints for new assignments will always be created at least 3000 units (3 map grid squares) from the map border
Ordering fighters to "engage" will set a ships minimum flux level to slightly over 5%

Alex in 0.7.2 : 25%? What do you need 25% zero flux for?
Alex in 0.9.0a : Take this 5% zero flux boost
Alex now : 1% was all that was intended for 9.0a
Alex in 1.0 : take this 0.5% and split it across your fleet

On a serious note, if you have the chance get into the game and double check what the value is in game. Otherwise it feels a bit insane contesting the dev on what the actual values are supposed to be in game.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2018, 02:52:06 PM by From a Faster Time »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 02:51:57 PM »

According to SVN, I changed it from 5% to 1% on September 2nd of this year. If you were seeing it be 5% in 0.9a... maybe an issue with the install? Not really sure what else to suggest.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 02:54:17 PM »

It was a little powerful...  :)

Anyway, what Alex is suggesting here:
is basically just changing two files. As it sounds like this isn't a bug, just a change that snuck past the patch notes, maybe ask in the modding questions thread if you need some help setting that up?
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 02:57:42 PM »

According to SVN, I changed it from 5% to 1% on September 2nd of this year. If you were seeing it be 5% in 0.9a... maybe an issue with the install? Not really sure what else to suggest.

Wow this feel bizzare, I downloaded the game on 29 of november, I clearly remember the value being 5% in the menu again as said before it's not just a typo, the actual value in game was tested. Made a screenshot like a week ago with 5%. Then yesterday as well, I was testing it and it was 5%
Only today, after tinkering with two game versions, did my 9.0a RC10 version of the game change the zero flux boost to 1%

It was a little powerful...  :)
I dunno, at 5% is was barely worth anything to me, with it being 1% I would never spend a point there over many other  options.

Anyway, what Alex is suggesting here:
is basically just changing two files. As it sounds like this isn't a bug, just a change that snuck past the patch notes, maybe ask in the modding questions thread if you need some help setting that up?
Can you go into your game and check?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 03:03:30 PM »

Wow this feel bizzare, I downloaded the game on 29 of november, I clearly remember the value being 5% in the menu again as said before it's not just a typo, the actual value in game was tested. Made a screenshot like a week ago with 5%. Then yesterday as well, I was testing it and it was 5%
Only today, after tinkering with two game versions, did my 9.0a RC10 version of the game change the zero flux boost to 1%

Yep, I believe you and this is indeed very odd. I think someone else might've mentioned it a while back, too.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 04:16:13 PM »

Yep, I believe you and this is indeed very odd. I think someone else might've mentioned it a while back, too.

Any idea what could cause it? I mean what could possibly cause a single skills value to change like that?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2018, 04:43:37 PM »

Like I said, could possibly be an issue with the install. I'd suggest a clean re-install (i.e. manually deleting the game folder, after saving off whatever mods/saves/etc you care about) to make sure.

From a Faster Time

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2018, 05:40:53 PM »

Like I said, could possibly be an issue with the install. I'd suggest a clean re-install (i.e. manually deleting the game folder, after saving off whatever mods/saves/etc you care about) to make sure.
Did a clean reinstall, the flux boost still at 1%. Christ that's depressing.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2018, 06:07:08 PM »

It's supposed to be 1%. I'm not sure how much more clear I can be about that.
Pages: [1] 2