Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: realism overhaul: Replacing flux system with reactor system and energy system  (Read 9372 times)

Vulpis

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Bringing this back to the initial idea; it seems interesting but I suspect it would be too difficult to implement much less balance.

JustALittleGravitas

• Ensign
    • View Profile

This is actually much less realistic.  The principle limit on how much energy you can get out of a reactor in space isn't how much energy the reactor has, but how much waste heat you can vent.  Combat vehicles can (theoretically) overload by storing waste heat in heatsinks to dump later, which is exactly what flux is modeling.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:58:21 AM by JustALittleGravitas »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

For what it's worth, in veeeery early builds flux was inverted and called "energy" instead. In some old code the variable names even reflect this :) IIRC - and since it's been a while, it's a bit hazy - I ended up flipping it around because it made more in-fiction sense for causing overloads due to shield damage, and for the venting mechanic.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

and it was a great choice, Alex. Building flux, overloading at max and having (getting) to vent flux is so much more interesting than just a static "energy" meter that I can't play Everspace bc of it
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

FreedomFighter

• Commander
    • View Profile

and it was a great choice, Alex. Building flux, overloading at max and having (getting) to vent flux is so much more interesting than just a static "energy" meter that I can't play Everspace bc of it

This is what got me interest in Starsector as well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]