Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: High Tech, Best Tech? [An in-depth view of the Tempest and Omen] (With video)  (Read 41061 times)

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Beautiful. *sniff*

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile

High tech took a really much needed hit back in.. 0.6? 0.7? When CR was introduced and peak timers added and adjusted. While i was 'hightech besttech' before, i saw myself moving to midline due to lowered max peak and just the expense of fielding it. Each tempest requires 9 supplies a month (8 the ship, +1 terminator drone), which is equal to how much it costs to have a Hammerhead or a Shrike or even a Mule.

I don't mind the changes the Tempest and the Omen took, but they're more fit to specialized roles in your fleet than making an entire fleet of them, as you've seen. I'm not saying they may not be good massed, but at that point between 20 Omen/Tempests and 20 Mules, i'd pick 20 Mules at all times.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile

That video. The equivalent deployment in wolfs and omens would surely wreck that pirate fleet too. Though not so quickly.

Tempests and Omens have always been good. Tempest are basically super wolfs, having 2 medium energy slots, and loads of spare OP. They also don't have the Wolf problem of missing shots, because not only are Tempest extremely manoeuvrable, their medium energy mounts are on turrets. The Terminators drones are basically a free IR laser and 2 PD's The terminator drone PD seem to have a longer range than normal PD. I don't know if that is intentional or not though. They are so fast and manoeuvrable that for dipping in and out of range of combat they are as good as wolves phasing all the time. They and omens are a right joy to personally pilot being amazingly fast and manoeuvrable. They feel even better than Hyperions to pilot.

I don't know why you would rather have 20 mules rather than 20 tempests/omen Cosmitz. I would rather have a tempest than a mule for combat. Tempests simply wreck Mules in combat. Per CR, I cannot say, but per ship, mules are worthless in combat.

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile

Man you guys werent kidding tempests are op, bought 6 of these guys and followed those builds in the first post. Little buggers wiped out a small remnant fleet with ease
Seeing a paragon with gigacannons and kinetic blasters scaring a radiant was very unexpected.

Dri

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Ooo baby, this was a 3 year old thread.

Speed + great flux stats + good shields meant high tech was pretty OP back in the early days. Thankfully with new ship additions, rebuffing Burn Drive and just giving low tech more hull/armor things have gotten a bit closer in present times.

Salter

• Commander
    • View Profile

Tempest is a really good frigate. I just kind of wish their drone hangars didnt count towards total fleet hangars. It makes it a bit harder to field as many, especially if you are already carrying around carriers or even an astral to make full use of the carrier fleet skills.

PizzaInSpace

• Commander
    • View Profile

true but even still having one of these guys in your fleet makes a HUGE difference, was fighting a remnant ordo, had 1 radiant but 7 brilliants and my lone tempest just baited them to the end of the map whilst I mopped up the stragglers after my fleet.
Seeing a paragon with gigacannons and kinetic blasters scaring a radiant was very unexpected.
Pages: 1 [2]