Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 0.51a Drone with 0 crew - issue  (Read 4848 times)

Kzanu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
0.51a Drone with 0 crew - issue
« on: March 08, 2012, 01:06:13 AM »

Due to the fact that the drones are unmanned, they have the rookie crew stats even if you only have veterans or higher, thus being penalized on both speeds.

Drones should retain the skill level of the carrier they are assigned to, or the carrier with the highest skill level.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 0.51a Drone with 0 crew - issue
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 07:26:06 AM »

Last build they were always regular quality.  Personally, I was just assuming that them being considered green was just a (slight) nerf to what's still one of the best fighters in the game.

(As an aside, not sure if we can do this, but it'd be nice to be able to - at the modding stuff level if not in-game - specify the experience level of hulls with zero crew.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 07:48:22 AM »

For now, it's considered that the AI of the drones doesn't level up the same way the crew does - i.e., this is as-intended.

spell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:44:46 PM »

For now, it's considered that the AI of the drones doesn't level up the same way the crew does - i.e., this is as-intended.
Would that mean you are planning a different way for them to level up? Like by acquiring blueprints/researching tech?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 12:47:00 PM »

I just meant that I wouldn't consider this "set-in-stone final", but that how it works now is how it's intended.

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:26:00 PM »

Personally, I think they should count as elite. They have the perfection of a computer and mathematics for the stats affected by crew skill – speed and accuracy. From an in-game feasibility standpoint, it would be much cheaper to manufacture drones that are as good as they can make them, with the research done beforehand, than it would be to manufacture crappy drones that "learn" and get better. Also, if these things are able to get destroyed, and fully repaired/remade from scratch, it would reset them to (at best) factory default.

My point is, even if this is a placeholder, they should be counted as elite.
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:41:38 PM »

A ship's base stats are the performance characteristics of the ship before the effects of crew (and upgrades)
A drone has no crew (and no upgrades) so it should perform at the level of it's base stats.

Pretty logical, no?

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »

Maybe, maybe not.  Part of the point is that the drones are expendable - there aren't any human lives involved.  Putting in expensive top-of-the-line AI systems might be akin to putting a tachyon lance on a sunder; you can do it, and it works, but it's all too likely to result in an expanding cloud of gas in place of all your hard-earned cash.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 02:00:13 PM »

'Realism' aside, it might be confusing for a new player to see in the codex that a Wasp has combat speed 200, while a Wasp with green crew (all Wasps now) have a combat speed of 190. Whatever way it is it should be consistent.

Cryten

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:30:15 PM »

I agree that if the wasps are to suffer a green crew negative this should be reflected in the stats that you buy them at instead of misleading players into thinking they are better then they are.

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 03:59:00 PM »

Maybe drones should have a separate rank & symbol, simply for making this distinction apparent. Functionally it would be identical to 'regular', simply so that it does not have any effects on the labled stats.

Chittebengo

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:16:46 AM »

Or perhaps reflect your current tech level?  Upgrading as your overall fleet grade improves.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 08:18:45 AM »

Hmm, they were supposed to be regular, not green. Thought I'd changed that - well, it's changed now. Thanks for pointing it out, guys!