Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: The AI has huge trouble using this Hammerhead loadout.  (Read 4585 times)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
The AI has huge trouble using this Hammerhead loadout.
« on: December 22, 2018, 07:21:08 PM »

Spoiler

[close]

Worked fine when I was piloting it, but I don't think I've seen the AI mess up so much before.

1) It considers the needler burst fire to be a single shot apparently, because it turns right after firing, making 80% of the salvo miss.

2) It activates ammo feeder without even being in range with the needlers.

Officer is steady, I guess it could work very slightly better with aggressive, but I don't think it's worth it.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 07:26:58 PM by Euphytose »

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: The AI has huge trouble using this Hammerhead loadout.
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 09:06:42 PM »

remove backward tactical lasers and check weapon groups, have similar issues with some ships that counted as broadside by AI

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 09:10:46 PM »

1) It considers the needler burst fire to be a single shot apparently, because it turns right after firing, making 80% of the salvo miss.
Hammerhead has no good reasons to turn away from enemy in the first place (except distributing armor damage after shields fail), even less so while firing Needlers. I think this belongs to bug reports.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 09:21:05 PM »

Hmm - so this seems fine over here, vs an Assault Enforcer in the sim, and sans skill bonuses or any sort of officer. Well, rather, ammo feeder use is a bit wonky, but aside from that, it acts fine - facing forward and generally being effective. I suppose it's possible something I've tweaked since the release factors in here...

(AI issues like this don't usually belong in bug reports, no; the bug reports forum is generally for things that are very clear-cut.)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »

The weapon groups are using the default (auto) settings:

1) Both needlers, with alternative fire.
2) Torpedoes.
3) Tactical lasers.

I'll try removing the back lasers tomorrow but this kind of defeats the purpose of the loadout.

Also I'm not using any mods.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 09:46:09 PM »

The weapon groups are using the default (auto) settings:

1) Both needlers, with alternative fire.
2) Torpedoes.
3) Tactical lasers.

(Same, btw.)

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2018, 09:20:26 PM »

Removing the back tac lasers and replacing them with standard PD lasers improved it a bit, but then there was no reason to keep the AI PD, so I just redid the whole thing and used a standard loadout with mortars and railguns :/

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 01:45:15 AM »

we need something like AI hint to override "normal" logic of AI, like not using PD weapons to attack normal ships, ever if flux capacity allows it.

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2018, 07:54:52 AM »

Doesn't this happen with any burst fire weapon on a hardpoint? My own Apogee tach lanced my several times because turn to face a single talon is more important.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2018, 08:00:53 AM »

we need something like AI hint to override "normal" logic of AI, like not using PD weapons to attack normal ships, ever if flux capacity allows it.
I would not want that, especially on multipurpose weapons like IPDAI IR Pulse Lasers, dual flak, or devastator.  Even mass burst PD can work as assault weapons in a pinch.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2018, 08:05:42 AM »

Doesn't this happen with any burst fire weapon on a hardpoint? My own Apogee tach lanced my several times because turn to face a single talon is more important.

It could be useful, but only if toggle-able in combat.
Low efficiency soft flux weapons can lose you flux war against an opponent with efficient shields. But turning them off completely means they won't fire on missiles/fighters either (player will need to quickly re-enable).

Useless if only set once at design time.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2018, 01:52:23 PM »

Sort of noticed this myself with Tac Lasers and IPDAI when under AI control. The Tac Lasers will toggle themselves off even when at low flux and in-range. I was using HVDs and Maulers in the front slots, though.

It just seemed odd that the Tac Lasers weren't continuous fire.