Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flying trough hyperspace  (Read 7450 times)

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Flying trough hyperspace
« on: December 21, 2018, 10:34:38 AM »

I hate it.

Nebulas/storm clouds are not shown on the big map so you cannot plan your route since you cannot zoom out far enough, and a route that looks like it takes you around may trap you in the middle of a giant sea of hyperspace storms.

It doesn't help that when burning your fleet has NO turning whatsoever and you can't even avoid most of them, so you have to constantly stop and burn, stop and burn.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Flying trough hyperspace
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2018, 10:42:21 AM »

Nebulas show up on the big map, you have to turn on or off one of the filters

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2018, 10:54:11 AM »

You can also use the storms to travel much faster. It's only (relatively) safe if your ships have solar shielding, though.

constantly stop and burn, stop and burn

Why stop? Without the burn you're maneuverable enough to weave through even the biggest cloud cluster and avoid all the storms within. Or almost all;)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2018, 11:15:24 AM »

I've found I need to turn sustained burn off regularly if flying through storms because it can't turn or stop fast enough to react to storms so you can end up waaaay off course if a storm bumps you in the wrong direction into another storm etc. I'd personally like the storm hit box reduced, but I think it's fairly manageable as is, just annoying.

DatonKallandor

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2018, 12:06:39 PM »

I hate it.

Nebulas/storm clouds are not shown on the big map so you cannot plan your route since you cannot zoom out far enough, and a route that looks like it takes you around may trap you in the middle of a giant sea of hyperspace storms.

It's not very intuitive but you gotta turn the Starscape filter off to see the storm map.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »

You can also use the storms to travel much faster. It's only (relatively) safe if your ships have solar shielding, though.

(Side note: e-burn is great here for making sure you go in the direction you want to and don't get blown off-course.)

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 12:35:59 PM »

I didn't consider using e-burn to get through hyperstorms, that would probably make it way easier to get through the walls of storm. Do the storms still give the boost during e-burn?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 12:48:44 PM »

Yep, they do! E-burn is probably the best way to ride the storms consistently, you basically don't get blown off course so you can easily stack up the speed. And it makes going through a wall a cinch, too.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 01:08:50 PM »

Yep, they do! E-burn is probably the best way to ride the storms consistently, you basically don't get blown off course so you can easily stack up the speed. And it makes going through a wall a cinch, too.
I need to do it before the storms hit.  E-burn gets disabled if storms hit first.  At least E-burn working in storms like it does is not a bug.  I thought it might since you cannot use it after getting hit first.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 01:18:51 PM »

You can use it when inside a storm, but if one of your ships gets hit with a strike that takes it to extremely low CR, then you can't. This is more likely for very large fleets; smaller fleets will generally not face this problem because they attract weaker strikes.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2018, 02:03:26 PM »

Using E burn to fly through storms is not viable a lot of the time. It costs a substantial amount of supplies to use E burn and it also costs supplies to go through storms. Usually its just way to expensive, unless I am worried about running out of fuel, but I plan carefully on fuel so that's almost never the case. I don't have the industry skills that would probably make this more viable, but I don't want to spend all those skill points just so I can occasionally fly through storms.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2018, 03:20:55 PM »

It depends when you play most.  As someone who wants to explore the whole sector and collect all of the blueprints, I have more than enough money and resources that I can afford to E-Burn as much as I want.  If most of the play is before you get an endgame fleet, then yes, casual EB probably is not a good option.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2018, 03:39:17 PM »

they attract weaker strikes.

they what
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 07:54:47 PM »

Even with unlimited money, I can only carry a limited amount of supplies and if I burn through 1/2 of them flying through storms, that significantly limits the amount of time I can explore for. I can explore many more systems by not using E-burn.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2018, 08:00:00 PM »

If you’re concerned about CR cost of e-burn there is a skill that removes the CR cost. (This makes e-burning super good)
Pages: [1] 2