Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Change storage excess costs to make taking excess cargo a choice  (Read 2043 times)

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
Change storage excess costs to make taking excess cargo a choice
« on: December 19, 2018, 12:24:48 PM »

I have personally almost never kept an excess of cargo because it ramps up so quickly that even an extra 5% over storage capacity bumps your supplies/day up to the hundreds if you have cargo cap in the thousands. Whenever I forget to empty the excess cargo before leaving the debris salvaging screen from a series of massive fights, I'll often get a few supplies burnt in the time it takes me to salvage the debris field again.

I tweaked the settings in settings.json to my own liking (from 0.1 to 0.01 supplies/day per cargo over cap) and it feels a lot better, if slightly too low. I've only tested it with a large fleet, I imagine it would be way too low for small fleets, like a handful of frigates.

Perhaps have the extra supplies/day usage scale with % over cargo capacity? Or have it apply a modifier to ship maintenance? Anything to make it so that you don't bleed supplies from having a tiny % over the maximum with a large fleet.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Change storage excess costs to make taking excess cargo a choice
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2018, 09:44:22 AM »

I'll agree with this suggestion.  I've taken to never going over cargo cap, as well; it's just not worth it.  I find that the supply cost for stabilizing cargo pods is similarly unworkably high - nothing that's actually valuable comes in sufficient quantity as to be worthwhile; if it's just metals/organics/food/domestic-goods, it's cheaper to just throw it away and keep the supplies.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:57:59 AM »

Hmm, the cost being prohibitively high for going over cargo/fuel/personnel capacity is intentional. It's basically a hard limit without it having to be a hard limit, which would cause all sorts of edge cases for the UI to handle and would just generally be less convenient to work with as the player. Now and again it may be worth it to go over cap, but generally speaking, it's just not.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 10:05:26 AM »

I'll agree with this suggestion.  I've taken to never going over cargo cap, as well; it's just not worth it.  I find that the supply cost for stabilizing cargo pods is similarly unworkably high - nothing that's actually valuable comes in sufficient quantity as to be worthwhile; if it's just metals/organics/food/domestic-goods, it's cheaper to just throw it away and keep the supplies.
Don't have a problem with the cargo cap but agree on the stabilizing part, never seemed worthwhile.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 10:51:49 AM »

This hard limit just means that when you're above the limit, you might as well ditch the excess supplies because they'll evaporate anyway. Any cargo above-limit is an invisible supply penalty (very fast approaching) equal to the excess amount. Which is fair I guess, but it's also not useful to be able to go beyond it.

How to do this differently? Nonlinear scale for excess would be one way, so that a slight percentage above capacity results in modest supply cost increase, which quickly becomes worse as the excess goes beyond 5%, 10% or whichever.

Another way would be to make it not cost supplies at all, but reduce max CR for the fleet according to excess cargo %.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2018, 07:26:08 AM »

Another way would be to make it not cost supplies at all, but reduce max CR for the fleet according to excess cargo %.
If anything changes I like this suggestion.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2018, 07:01:39 PM »

If anything changes I like this suggestion.

But that means alot of people gonna learn some difficult lessons and alot of frustrations.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 07:16:49 PM »

I love the supply cost.
Supplies use up space anyway so you're allowed to overload your fleet on as much supplies as you want, and if you're only gonna go over a little bit well you use up supplies anyhow so as long as you're not running low you can go over bc it'll just speed you up to 100>

You know what I wouldn't mind, tho? A thing that made it so that, above the "100% cargo cap" soft limit for loading stacks of cargo is a "when you hit 100% and cease to have a supply use penalty you'll have enough supplies to make it to your destination just as you run out of supplies" soft cap.
I'm sure there's a better way to phrase that but the game already has a "supplies used per day" and "supplies used to get to 100%" stats so it probably wouldn't be that hard to do for an expert programmer such as Alex ;)
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then