Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: [0.9A RC10] Null Error Crash After Battlestation Engagement Success  (Read 1653 times)

Bloodyaugust

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Defended a station successfully, but they came back around for a second engagement. When I continued into it, the game crashed to desktop with a "null error" dialog.

All vanilla.

Zip file containing offending save and starsector.log can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1b7HXS20K12EgpaSRlKCygvIBDb6fF-S7/view?usp=sharing

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9A RC10] Null Error Crash After Battlestation Engagement Success
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 12:14:42 PM »

Thanks for the report!

I'm actually not seeing an error corresponding to this crash in the log file, and so far haven't been able to reproduce it.

What specifically do you mean by "came back around for a second engagement"? Within the same dialog, or after ending the battle, flying around a bit, and re-engaging the station? Are you able to reproduce this on your end, with the save you've uploaded? If so, knowing exactly what to do would be really helpful.

(If this crash is what I *think* it is, it may be fixed in the dev version, but it'd be nice to be able to confirm.)

Bloodyaugust

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2018, 11:02:36 PM »

Sorry, it happened within the same dialog chain. I didn't even know that could happen until this particular engagement.

I'll try to reproduce! Does CTD usually not result in a log being written? Somebody has been slacking on those `try/catch`es, haven't they?  ;)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:19:02 AM »

Thanks for the added info!

A CTD usually (basically always, unless it's a JVM crash) does end up with a stack trace being written in the log file; if it shows that sort of dialog, then that means it ended up in the log. So, I'm not sure *why* it's not in the log. One possibility might be, say, if one kept playing after the error and the log file exceeded its maximum size and got rolled over, but it's hard to say.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 02:20:31 AM »

Got same bug. After defending Lacalle habitat station from first pirate attack wave deploying for second engagement ended in crash.

[faction_pirate_encounter_02_hostile.ogg]
16512920 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [faction_pirate_encounter_02_hostile.ogg]
16516358 [Thread-8] INFO  sound.O  - Cleaning up music with id [faction_pirate_encounter_02_hostile.ogg]
16516434 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [battle_ambience_01.ogg]
16516434 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [battle_ambience_01.ogg]
16924080 [Thread-8] INFO  sound.O  - Cleaning up music with id [battle_ambience_01.ogg]
16924169 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.O  - Creating streaming player for music with id [faction_pirate_encounter_02_hostile.ogg]
16924169 [Thread-10] INFO  sound.H  - Playing music with id [faction_pirate_encounter_02_hostile.ogg]
16937754 [Thread-4] INFO  sound.O  - Cleaning up music with id [miscallenous_corvus_campaign_music.ogg]
16937755 [Thread-4] INFO  sound.O  - Cleaning up music with id [campaign_music_part_2_v28.ogg]
16937823 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.admiral.DeploymentManager.if.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.admiral.BaseBattleStrategy.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.ai.admiral.AdmiralAI.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatFleetManager.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advanceInner(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)