Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What brought you to Starsector?  (Read 9337 times)

CheesusCrustBoyMillionare

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: What brought you to Starsector?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »

Yeah same here.  We had a mac game called Escape Velocity on the computers at my school when i was younger.  EV Nova im sure brought a few people here.

tzuridis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 04:26:19 PM »

EV Nova, I have no idea how I found that game. SPAZ after that as well as a lot of other games that tried to fill the void. Stellaris because I like 4x and all those somehow led me here.

I hated the sci-fi genre until EV Nova, now it is my favorite.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 06:27:59 PM »

I thought you guys were talking about the space sim game that got me addicted to games like Starsector when I was but a wee sprout; Gravity Well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iN9jXuv2Kc

blast from the past going on here
FR tho this game was the OG starsector; once you captured a planet your faction would start sending freighters to it and if they reached they'd unload their cargo and begin building up structures and infrastructure on said planet. In 1995. It was great
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:30:35 PM by Deshara »
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

ANGRYABOUTELVES

• Admiral
  • AE ALTADOON GHARTOK PADHOME
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2018, 03:21:39 AM »

A streamer named Beaglerush did a youtube video introduction to Starsector about three years ago, and I ended up watching it. I've loved space games in general and EV Nova in particular for a long time, so as soon as I saw what Starsector was and how high-quality it was I had to buy it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:23:37 AM by ANGRYABOUTELVES »

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2018, 04:41:57 AM »

IIRC, Ironclads. Saw it, realized it was a mod for Starsector, then I got starsector.
I think it was in that order. Or did I first get Starsector?
Honestly I can't recall.

What I do know it I have no desire to play unmodded SS.
At least 90% of the vanilla ship designs are not up my alley. :(

Jaga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 01:26:39 PM »

Purchased the game (then-called Starfarer) around 6.5 years ago when a friend recommended it.  Looked good at the time, but still needed 2-3 more years of development.  We used to play a lot of 4X and other space games like Space Rangers.

Here we are 8+ years (more?) after inception, and I'm mostly just popping in from time to time to see if it will ever be "finished".  The 2D genre is almost gone in gaming, so it will be interesting to see how this game completes it's ultra-long tenure.  Even SPAZ moved on from 2D sprites in it's second title, and I think of the original SPAZ as "old" now.

Also - hoping Starsector doesn't go the way of others like Limit Theory.  At least it's playable, though I'll admit I've lost all desire to play after this much time.  The space-sim genre has evolved and improved greatly with titles like Stellaris, which I do play.

TJJ

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2019, 02:07:29 PM »

TB.

May he rest in peace.

Specifically this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWno9UISZaU
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 02:09:58 PM by TJJ »

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2019, 03:31:04 PM »

Even SPAZ moved on from 2D sprites in it's second title

And that was a mistake. SPAZ 2 was a failure and I doubt we'll be hearing about those guys again. If you read the negative reviews, 90% are people saying "SPAZ 1 was better".

Not only did they downgrade the gameplay in almost every way, they also chose a terrible engine with awful performances.

2D isn't going away as long as there are people playing it. A good example of a fanbase that will never die is Worms. Lots of people in their late 30s, but still very much active.

Jaga

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2019, 03:37:33 PM »

Even SPAZ moved on from 2D sprites in it's second title

And that was a mistake. SPAZ 2 was a failure and I doubt we'll be hearing about those guys again. If you read the negative reviews, 90% are people saying "SPAZ 1 was better".

Not only did they downgrade the gameplay in almost every way, they also chose a terrible engine with awful performances.

2D isn't going away as long as there are people playing it. A good example of a fanbase that will never die is Worms. Lots of people in their late 30s, but still very much active.
Didn't say SPAZ 1 wasn't better.  But the move is definitely away from 2D games.  Even phones have 3D gaming support now, including VR titles.  Had Starsector released ~4 years ago, it might have had better widespread reception as a 2D title.  8+ years (it's looking like 9-10 now) for a 2D game in development is just..  too long.  The "2D is still okay to play for a space sim" crowd is a very niche group anymore.  I have many hundreds of hours in SPAZ 1, and attempted to replay it a third time in 2018.  It just didn't hold the same charm or capture attention like in 2011.

But that's not what this topic is all about.  Just posted the extra bits as feedback/commentary. 

Hazard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2019, 03:51:29 PM »

The space-sim genre has evolved and improved greatly with titles like Stellaris, which I do play.

Stellaris and Starsector are almost completely different games mechanically, and I don't see how either one of them is a space-sim.  ???

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2019, 04:36:26 PM »

For me I think it was also TB. Bought it, played it, sucked at it, put the game away for a time, came back, practiced, got skilled, made a few mods, stopped playing.

Make no mistake though, I am greatly anticipating this game's full release. Waiting for updates and playing unfinished games is not for me, so I stopped playing.
Once Alex says "It's done", I'll be locking myself inside my house and will be all over this game. Until that day comes, I'll be patient.

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 05:05:45 AM »

In my opinion the game is already in a state in which you can consider it done. The lack of real end-game is something we know will be fixed, but there are plenty of games where there's an end, either a real end or player decided. Yes, the development is slow, but each patch is significant.

Nawyria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 08:47:47 AM »

I played Freespace 2 a lot, but I always felt like it would be really cool to have a space combat game where you're in control of the entire fleet. I was looking for a game to scratch that itch when I came across Starsector and fell in love.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »

I saw someone post a link to the game on the Bay12 forums - apparently in 2011.

I saw a gameplay-footage video; watched some wasps fire laser beams at some broadswords. I saw some other ship blow up the wasps (Xyphos, it seems ... also that vid has what seems to be a dual-hephaestus venture fluxing itself out against condor and daggers)

I’m not really sure why that did it for me - looking back it seems fairly limited -  but I fell in love. The zaps and the clangs and the explosions.

The game has improved immeasurably since then; but for me it’s still fundamentally pivoting on the creaks; groans; plinks and booms.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

tindrli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »

RPGCODEX!
Pages: 1 [2]