Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Merchant Fleets Shouldn't Be Hunter-Killers?  (Read 1866 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Merchant Fleets Shouldn't Be Hunter-Killers?
« on: December 16, 2018, 11:55:04 AM »

So, I'm waiting in orbit for an expedition to show up... and I see several of the merchant fleets that came to deliver cargo fighting amongst each other.  This seems... incorrect, even for factions that are hostile.  Plus I'm not really looking forward to the possibility of shortages or accessibility penalties just because two at-war factions decided to send cargo haulers over at the same time.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Fleets Shouldn't Be Hunter-Killers?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 12:05:42 PM »

So, I'm waiting in orbit for an expedition to show up... and I see several of the merchant fleets that came to deliver cargo fighting amongst each other.  This seems... incorrect, even for factions that are hostile.  Plus I'm not really looking forward to the possibility of shortages or accessibility penalties just because two at-war factions decided to send cargo haulers over at the same time.

They generally don't attack each other, but will fight if they get in each other's face. Jostling for prime orbital positions getting out of hand and all that. Either way, though, that shouldn't affect your accessibility (which is only affected for the colony that sent the fleet), though it might cause a shortage.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 04:19:45 PM »

This bring up the eco issues. just because a cargo ship did not show up or you start to hate someone should not be planet crippling nor should their be a penalty for having people hate you. Eve when I make my self self sustaining the above mentioned problem coupled with the others suddenly make the planet that could easily sustain itself suddenly be at panic because feelings were hurt

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 03:36:21 PM »

They generally don't attack each other, but will fight if they get in each other's face. Jostling for prime orbital positions getting out of hand and all that.
Hm.  Not quite the behavior I was seeing - they definitely went out of their way to attack, with mouseover tooltips showing that they were in active pursuit of each other.  It's possible that this was a mod-related issue, though, as both battles I saw involved (different) mod factions.
Either way, though, that shouldn't affect your accessibility (which is only affected for the colony that sent the fleet), though it might cause a shortage.
Good to know; as my current setup is (almost) self-sustaining in terms of needed imports, this means I probably don't need to worry about it.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 03:37:55 PM »

Hm.  Not quite the behavior I was seeing - they definitely went out of their way to attack, with mouseover tooltips showing that they were in active pursuit of each other.  It's possible that this was a mod-related issue, though, as both battles I saw involved (different) mod factions.

Ah, interesting - I'll keep an eye out! I don't *think* it being a mod faction's trade fleet should matter here unless they were also spawned through different code.