Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ceasefire negotiations  (Read 1712 times)

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
Ceasefire negotiations
« on: December 13, 2018, 02:25:14 PM »

A way to let us restore relations from the downward spiral of 'Hostile' would be nice

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Ceasefire negotiations
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:07:49 PM »

I like the idea of crossing into "hostile" reputation instantly giving you an extra -25 or -50 reputation to get you halfway to Vengeful, and then as long as you're in Hostile territory every fair battle you win gains you reputation ("respect"), so you can combat your way out of a war in a very lightweight way -- if you keep beating what they throw at you (and aren't running down their backliners or committing war crimes) they eventually go, "hey. We shouldn't be at war with this dude, it's getting us nothing", but without a super convoluted system
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:37:14 PM »

Both sound nice, Desharas' sounds a bit easier to implement.

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 08:05:40 PM »

That would be even better, a way to handwave combat into managing faction relations. More frequent combat is almost always welcome in my books.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 01:11:39 AM »

I like the idea of crossing into "hostile" reputation instantly giving you an extra -25 or -50 reputation to get you halfway to Vengeful, and then as long as you're in Hostile territory every fair battle you win gains you reputation ("respect"), so you can combat your way out of a war in a very lightweight way -- if you keep beating what they throw at you (and aren't running down their backliners or committing war crimes) they eventually go, "hey. We shouldn't be at war with this dude, it's getting us nothing", but without a super convoluted system

I  like this idea, and it could easily be implemented without changing the core mechanics of the game-- It could be done in a mod. You crush your enemies enough they should give up fighting you, it makes sense. But yea, having to fight "fair" probably makes sense, nobody surrenders if they think they're going to just keep being slaughtered. This, combined with some options for diplomatic resolution to disputes such as you paying off a faction or them paying off you, would go a long way to making the game much richer experience.

Wonder if it would be interesting/possible to also apply this to the disputes between NPC factions, which really need some kind of "budget" to track how well they are doing and how many fleets they can spawn, and how long they can keep fighting.

edit: when I keep thinking of it, it really does kind of mirror real life. By fighting your enemies, you can get them to a ceasefire, but then only way to get back to truly "normal" relations is to actually do something positive, like trade and aid.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 01:17:15 AM by nomadic_leader »