Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What kind of ship do you like most?  (Read 9003 times)

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
What kind of ship do you like most?
« on: December 13, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »

What are the characteristics of your ideal flagship? Are there any ships that suit your tastes perfectly, whether vanilla or from a mod?

My own personal favorite type of ship is a capital with a giant cannon and plenty of fighters - command and artillery sort of role. There's a ship in the SCY mod that is basically the ship of my dreams. I need to get one ASAP now that I remember it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What kind of ship do you like most?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 10:53:10 AM »

An "I WIN!" button godship.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 11:11:17 AM »

Fast, 360 shields, large flux pool, and large energy mounts.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 11:15:05 AM »

For me, the vanilla Aurora exemplifies my preferred combat style; fast enough to get where it's needed (and get out of trouble when I over-extend), tough enough that I don't have to be super-cautious about survival (but not so tough that I can just ignore threats entirely), and with significant firepower.  When I can't get an Aurora (which is, okay, most of the time), a Sunder or an SO-Dominator or an Odyssey are all usable alternatives.

There are a number of mods with ships that play to similar strengths.  Most notable among currently-updated mods:
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering has the Tunguska and Kormoran class hulls (though I'm also quite fond of the Baikal).
Outer Rim Alliance has the Elevation class cruiser; it's a bit less mobile than most of the other ships I prefer, but makes up for that with a fighter bay.
Shadowyards Reconstruction Authority has the Mimir class battlecruiser.

And, of course, while it's not updated to 0.9 yet, a shout-out has to go to the Blackrock Drive Yards Desdinova.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »

The best ship that I can find or steal. Plundered ships so much sweeter than store-bought.

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2018, 11:24:19 AM »

While capitals are arguably the strongest ships, I tend to find myself less "flying" and more "placing" them, while letting the AI handle the guns.  Odyssey is in an interesting place speed and armament wise, but its difficult to fly given the competing needs between shield orientation, gun orientation, and where the front of the ship needs to be pointed for the speed boost.  So I still don't get to fire the guns directly, because shield placement is more important, which makes it less fun than it could be.

So I find myself liking high mobility cruisers the most, preferably with a 2 or 3 medium ballistic slots and a single large energy slot at the front.  180 degree omni shield (which gives the option for 360 front shield with hull mod).  So I like SO Auroras for example.  In 0.9, the SO Apogee with Plasma cannon and heavy blasters works surprising well at point blank range.  SO Falcon is great for crushing destroyers and frigates.  DME has the Kormoran Guard cruiser, which has changed quite a bit over time, but that kind of layout I like the most.  It was my go to flagship several patches ago.  Soften up shields with AI controlled kinetic, then manually aim the doom laser for the finishing shot.

If its a small skirmish that doesn't require cruiser or capital firepower, then I'll tend to default to a Medusa (two phase lances, 2 railguns, a couple PD).

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2018, 12:32:31 PM »

Onslaught. So much armour you really don't care and use burn drive into anything and everything. Flak all around it, basically immune to fighters and all missiles.

Rounin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2018, 12:35:30 PM »

It's purely based on aesthetics.
My flagship is always the one I find sexiest at the moment.

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »

usually the biggest capital ship i can get my hands on to drive up the middle of any enemy fleet, but recently its been a SO'd neutrino singularity frigate with two alternating sylphon charity blasters. its stupidly fun to fly and can duel most cruisers on its own

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2018, 01:46:41 PM »

Heh.  Both Neutrino & Sylphon have some neat stuff... but they're also a bit further out of vanilla balance, which is why I didn't list stuff from them in my earlier post in this thread.  Well, that, and I'm actually not running with Neutrino active in my current save, and I haven't gotten much in the way of Sylphon blueprints/ships yet.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2018, 01:52:34 PM »

oh yeah, they're definitely both skirting the edge of what i'd consider balanced but if it's fun to play with i don't really mind

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2018, 02:19:58 PM »

Fast cruiser (Falcon) and destroyer (The new High tech one) to be able to quickly redeploy. Also the Sunder with HIL+2 railguns + 2 Graviton beam

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2018, 02:35:41 PM »

Recently I've been on a high firepower kick, so SO Lasher, Hammerhead, Sunder are my favorite early game ships. Onslaughts are just plain fun for burn driving in and steamrolling things.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »

I love run and gun style ships that can go in, kill something in 2 seconds, and get out. Mobility definitely feels great on the battlefield; there's no greater feeling than to jump in quickly and watch an enemy melt in 2 seconds, then retreating back out to vent.

Favorite ships
LP Lasher
Medusa, SO hammerhead
SO aurora
Odyssey

nathanebht

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2018, 03:12:18 PM »

Capital ships are neat in that they give a feeling of power. Cruisers are good in that they can be deadly, require skill in maneuvering but there is some risk.

Can't really say I have a favorite.
Pages: [1] 2 3