Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Factions war exhaustion system  (Read 2953 times)

Chow

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Factions war exhaustion system
« on: December 13, 2018, 06:26:51 AM »

For now, once you went hostile with other factions they would fight a endless war against you and your colony no matter how many ships they have lost. I think it would be better and more realistic that a faction(except the Pirates and the Luddic Path) will make peace with you once you and your own faction have destroyed enough enemy ships during the war due to war exhaustion.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Factions war exhaustion system
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 04:30:38 PM »

I know right. I can single handedly kill half their fleets and they still do not give a ***. Just throw away crew and members by the numbers and not feel any downsides from it

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 02:57:45 AM »

That because there is no actual production or fleet numbers.

Faction just produce new ships nd fleets on demand without any limitations and can spam infinite fleets. But what if they couldn't?

What if every market/planet/industry contributed to the global resource pool? And what if spawning fleets took resources from that pool? The cost could be something simple and the CP costs of ships in the fleet added up (simple math).

This would actually make war and economy function far better.

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »

That because there is no actual production or fleet numbers.

Faction just produce new ships nd fleets on demand without any limitations and can spam infinite fleets. But what if they couldn't?

What if every market/planet/industry contributed to the global resource pool? And what if spawning fleets took resources from that pool? The cost could be something simple and the CP costs of ships in the fleet added up (simple math).

This would actually make war and economy function far better.

I think this is a good direction. You could decide how many resources you want to assign to a specific colony's fleet production, which would cap the number, size and quality of that colony's fleets. More heavy machinery, metals and crew = more and bigger ships. More transplutonics and volatiles = more high-tech weapons and ships and fewer d-mods. The latter would solve a pet peeve of mine where you have blueprints for lots of advanced and powerful weapons but you still see lots of your faction's ships using outdated and low-tech weapons long after they become pretty much obsolete (an Eagle should not be using heavy mortars in its ballistic hardpoints and mining lasers in its medium energy turrets when it has access to hypervelocity drivers and phase lances). Ships having loadouts that not only depend on available blueprints but also on available resources would add a lot of consistency.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2018, 06:55:49 AM by Lolpingu »

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 07:06:32 AM »

Hmm, but if you allow this much granulometry, you wlil have to be playing with allocation sliders all day.

I think it should be mostly automatic. The amount of different resources your colonies produce/can use, and the distance/trade it's getting from other planets and colonies, determines automatically what sort of fleets it spawns and how many (in addition to modifications by that planet's infrastructure)

So if you nuke a lot of faction's planets and the remaining ones cant get trade resources from some other place, they'll be able to spawn a lot less ships.

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 08:12:03 AM »

Hmm, but if you allow this much granulometry, you wlil have to be playing with allocation sliders all day.

I don't think this is that much of a problem. With the current system, eventually all you have to do to make sure that your colonies profitable and capable of defending themselves is the occasional stabilization (which is oftentimes not even necessary if your colonies are normally at peak stability). I could go completely hands-off right now and my empire could easily handle itself. What I'm trying to say is that much of the system becomes fire-and-forget eventually, so a few more sliders wouldn't cause a logistical headache, especially if you could set a few preset allocation templates and simply apply them to colonies as needed, occasionally fine-tuning a colony to fit specific needs.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 05:03:02 AM »

a super easy and lightweight way to implement this would be to make winning (fair) combat against a hostile faction give you reputation instead of taking it away
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then