Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Additional colony/battle modifiers from strategic terrain  (Read 976 times)

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Additional colony/battle modifiers from strategic terrain
« on: December 13, 2018, 04:15:40 AM »

I love the backgrounds found during exploration and the interactions with CR/speed/sensor range are also great.

2 additional things I think would be nice for ring systems/magnetic fields and the like:
  • Colony modifiers
    - Maybe implemented like stable locations, mining outposts that have to be defended but add some ore/rare ore output to ports in the system.
    - Magnetic field greatly increases ground defense power/bombardment cost but comes with an accessibility penalty.
  • Tactical battle modifiers
    - Magnetic field could be a maneuverability penalty that affects big ships more. Not easy to cheese, shifts fleet composition a bit
    - Magnetic storms also randomly apply some EMP damage to ships
    - Seen this one come up earlier, ring systems could add more asteroids to battles(if the AI can handle it)
    - Accretion disk could constantly bombard the battlefield with tiny asteroids flying through, doing minor kinetic/frag damage

Ideas might be far out/not fun in practice, just guesses on what could bring those exploration features to life.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Additional colony/battle modifiers from strategic terrain
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2018, 07:09:48 AM »

I'm pretty sure the game already had combat terrain affects on most terrains and they were removed from 0.9 for some reason
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Torch

• Lieutenant
  • Long-time lurker and space RPG fan, neutral good
    • View Profile
Re: Additional colony/battle modifiers from strategic terrain
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 08:11:23 AM »

Made a new topic on this without realizing one was just made, but I entirely agree! Battlefield hazards that give more challenge and strategic opportunities to the player and AI are much needed.