Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: More Uses For AI Cores?  (Read 8020 times)

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
More Uses For AI Cores?
« on: December 12, 2018, 04:23:08 PM »

So far in the game AI cores are for colony management, or dumping into a factions recycling bin (Unless you are Tri-Tach then you just probably hook it up to the Sector's equivalent of the Internet so it can troll Luddic Church nerds).

Unless I'm missing something.

What about the ability to use Gamma, Beta, and even Alpha cores as ship officers? Each core gives you a one time "Generate AI Officer" option that gives you a AI captain but consumes that singular core. And the option lets you randomly generate an AI captain with a set of skills a normal human captain would have, with Gamma having a basic low level captains worth of skill points (I have too many Gamma cores holy crap I just wanna duct tape like  dozen of them together to make one alpha core), while an Alpha level is basically a max level captain with bonuses for being the latest version of sentient Windows.

Of course you probably don't need to actually pay the AI captains, and all three levels of AI captains have their own set of bonus that progressively gets better as you go from Gamma core to Alpha cores.

The main incentive to use AI captains is that they allow you to go over the limit of officers you can have, so you can go pass the 10+ officer limit. But a major downside is that if a patrol of a faction that hates AI makes contact with your fleet and searches them there is a huge chance they will find out your fleet has MURDERBOT.exe acting as captain, the faction immediately brands you  criminal and starts hunting you down.

Another downside to somewhat balance this is the amount and quality of AI captains you can actually use in your fleet, a bit like the deployment costs for ships in combat. So say you can use a large amount of somewhat stupid Gamma Captains, but can only use say one or two Alpha captains.

Another thing I thought up of if is if you can attack the occasional shipping convoy and find AI cores in them, particularly  luddic church, and Tri-Tach convoys. If you take these cores to a Remnant red beacon system, you can give them to the Nexus there and who know maybe you can make some robot friends because you brought back some poor Beta core's girlfriend.

XazoTak

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: More Uses For AI Cores?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 09:14:15 PM »

There's a much better way to put a limit on the number of AI officers.
If the AIs start to think that collectively they could defeat your fleet, they may randomly start an engagement while you're flying around.
Likeliness of an opportunity for an AI revolt being seized, and accuracy of judgement of victory chance, is dependent on the highest grade core in the fleet.
You can't just figure out how many AIs you can have before they represent half your fleet power, because if you finish a fight with your AI ships in much better condition than your non-AI ships, the AI portion of the fleet may take the chance.

In the event of an AI engagement, you can choose whether to fight back or surrender.
If you surrender, your fleet is controlled by AI, acting like a pirate fleet except making trips to Remnant systems to collect cores which they use instead of crew. With some opportunities to revolt in turn, of course.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 07:11:42 AM »

There's a much better way to put a limit on the number of AI officers.
If the AIs start to think that collectively they could defeat your fleet, they may randomly start an engagement while you're flying around.

... AI cores on shipyards and high commands have a chance (scaling to the core's tier) of spawning hostile pirate fleets out of your market except it's Remnants instead? that'd be really cool c.c
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 11:44:40 PM »

On the topic can we please remove AI core inspections. Probably the most not fun thing to have to experience. Plus as a faction why cant I decline it and tell them to *** off? I can tell the police no so why cant I tell them no to my isolated planet away from everyone?

Baxter

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 12:02:05 AM »

The hegemony has a big thing about AI because of the nature of their founding (The domain banned AI research, and they consider themselves successors to the domain) and also the fact that they fought a few wars over and against AI used by Tri-tachyon. AI cores give a lot of benefit so there's gotta be some risks and/or downsides to that. Bribing the inspectors can be pricey but it's affordable and you'll still make more money with bribes+cores than you would without cores at all.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:17:08 AM »

@Lopunny Zen , You're able to resist the inspections. If you go to the intel screen for colony threats and look in the lower right with the inpection selected you'll have an "orders" button (I believe "T" also does the same thing while the inspection is selected on the intel screen). There you can either let them go through with it, set aside mone to bribe them with, or have your faction warships and defenses resist and fight the inspectors, be aware though that it will initiate hostilities with the hegemony once they reach your system.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »

On the topic can we please remove AI core inspections. Probably the most not fun thing to have to experience. Plus as a faction why cant I decline it and tell them to *** off? I can tell the police no so why cant I tell them no to my isolated planet away from everyone?
You can, you just have to do so before the inspection reaches the target system. You avert it like you would an expedition.

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 12:35:22 PM »

How about I dont have to babysit my base because some anti tech people hate tech. It is not fun and it ends with me being hostile to Hegemony to end the madness. It is not fun and it gives nothing to the player gameplay wise.

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 02:03:51 PM »

Hmm, personally I feel like there has to be some downside to using AI cores for all the advantages they bring aside from the annoying pathers who bother you for free port/heavy industry anyway. Even a few beta cores can massively drive up profits by putting them on your highest upkeep buildings. It just so happens that the downside is either a minor payoff, because the raid is much more costly comparatively, or you lose accessibility due to hostile factions, either way it helps hem in AI profitability. Even with these penalties though, I feel like I hear much more about people abusing AI cores then not just due to the massive payouts.

Spoilers:
Spoiler
Also, people really don't seem to mind the Alpha admin setback of not being able to replace them after administrating for a given time, though considering they have all 3 admin skills maxed having a permanent master admin isn't a big deal other than permanent AI raids so I feel like there's going to be a bit more with that line of events.
[close]

Lopunny Zen

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 04:28:47 PM »

You can, you just have to do so before the inspection reaches the target system. You avert it like you would an expedition.

Problem is when I do annihilate them then I become enemies with them...which is not bad because no more ai inspections but then the broken economy turns my hard earned gains from 100-250k credits to my wallet draining in 3 months bad so....no it is not only annoying as *** for them to take your hard earned cores away...more so the more rare ones but it ruines the game fast