Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have rescuing stranded ships give intel instead of a small credit/rep reward.  (Read 2815 times)

Morgan Rue

• Commander
    • View Profile

Currently there is very little reason for me to try to rescue other stranded spacers. If they told me some tales of their adventures and the things they've seen on the fringe, I would be more inclined to help them.
Dauntless.

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Currently there is very little reason for me to try to rescue other stranded spacers. If they told me some tales of their adventures and the things they've seen on the fringe, I would be more inclined to help them.

Had me thinking, what if sometimes you meet them back in the core worlds occasionally and they give special quests/offer free ships or high level officers? Or hell, one of the reasons they are stranded in the first place is because they were defeated by pirates and they offer to straight up join you.

Deshara

• Admiral
  • Suggestion Writer
    • View Profile

Had me thinking, what if sometimes you meet them back in the core worlds occasionally and they give special quests/offer free ships or high level officers? Or hell, one of the reasons they are stranded in the first place is because they were defeated by pirates and they offer to straight up join you.

holy hecc fleets being commanded by actual characters you have persistent relations with is something I hadn't even considered in the context of outter rim scavengers you meet. It probably wouldn't be that hard for the game to make fleets you find randomly in The Rim have their commander randomly drawn from the (a) persistent pool of extant captains you can/have run into in the core, affecting your relations with factions once you get back.

Like, returning from a scavenging run where you gave a stranded shuttle fuel only to be run down by a hegemony fleet who, instead of engaging you in hostilities open a comm link to introduce themselves as being in the third in command of the entire hegemony military, and the game gives you your reputation gain but also multiplies it by the station of the character you helped which gives you a huge bump in this case.
That'd be cool lol
Quote from: Deshara
I cant be blamed for what I said 5 minutes ago. I was a different person back then

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile

This seems like a very good idea.  Would be neat to have missions you can acquire from this - I could even see something like this functioning as an alternative intro for the Red Planet.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Tei

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

holy hecc fleets being commanded by actual characters you have persistent relations with is something I hadn't even considered in the context of outter rim scavengers you meet. It probably wouldn't be that hard for the game to make fleets you find randomly in The Rim have their commander randomly drawn from the (a) persistent pool of extant captains you can/have run into in the core, affecting your relations with factions once you get back.

Like, returning from a scavenging run where you gave a stranded shuttle fuel only to be run down by a hegemony fleet who, instead of engaging you in hostilities open a comm link to introduce themselves as being in the third in command of the entire hegemony military, and the game gives you your reputation gain but also multiplies it by the station of the character you helped which gives you a huge bump in this case.
That'd be cool lol

Or maybe even because the person you helped is some secret faction undercover agent of some sort, and you start getting anonymous gift fackages of supplies or weapons and the occasional in system faction patrol just nods at your obvious giant stack of drugs and turns a blind eye.

Simple stuff like this doesnt even need dedicated characters either, just events and rewards attached to RNG npcs.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I do not mind the rep increase since it can be slow at times.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

This all sounds like good stuff, yeah - will make a note to look at it; not sure when/if I'll actually get to it, but I really do like how it sounds!