Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: multiplayer. who wants it and what sort of types  (Read 12149 times)

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
Re: multiplayer. who wants it and what sort of types
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 03:20:57 PM »

for multiplayer campaign i suggest only COOP no versus one player controls the fleet and the other does nothing while on the campaign map but can say organize in the menus  once in battle there are 2 flagships one for player one and one for player 2 and so its fair one player picks what ships to deploy then the second player has a chance to look over it and change it if necessary. and possibly after every battle control on the campaign map switches players.
edit woot 100 posts :D
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:09:33 PM by Doom101 »
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Daveydude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 08:30:08 PM »

I agree with Doom101. I think it would be nice to have an option for a second player to drop in and control another ship. Also pre-set battles between two fleets would also be good (each player controls the other fleet). Multiplayer should not be the focus, however it would be nice to have an extra player in a combat scenario.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 08:35:03 PM »

As much as I like the ideas being bounced around here, I've heard from developers (for example, Notch) that programming in netcode and multiplayer business is especially tedious and difficult.

Alex has said that multiplayer is NOT on the menu, because of a focus on the single player game given his limited resources, and for balance reasons as well. I'm willing to abide by that, and unless any of you are willing to figure out how to put in the netcode, I don't see the usefulness in further discussing this.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »

As much as I like the ideas being bounced around here, I've heard from developers (for example, Notch) that programming in netcode and multiplayer business is especially tedious and difficult.

Alex has said that multiplayer is NOT on the menu, because of a focus on the single player game given his limited resources, and for balance reasons as well. I'm willing to abide by that, and unless any of you are willing to figure out how to put in the netcode, I don't see the usefulness in further discussing this.

Just dreaming.  :)  Not useful. But not much on ANY forum is "useful"
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »

Hey, I got my Beam Missiles added in! ;P

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2012, 09:02:52 PM »

True. That is a pretty big deal.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 09:30:50 PM »

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not xD.

Regardless, I'm not saying don't bounce around idea, but maybe take into consideration the effort required.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2012, 09:39:28 PM »

Yes. I myself have no illlusions that adding multiplayer is basically to write a whole second game (or more). Dunno if anyone else knows this, though.
- Voltaire

NONOCE

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »

The easier multiplayer to implement is a split screen or dual screen multiplayer.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 03:40:53 AM »

The easier multiplayer to implement is a split screen or dual screen multiplayer.
Why is that?
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

NONOCE

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 06:52:57 AM »

Why is that?
[/quote]

It's like you had to tell someone to draw something but through the phone, it would be easier if he was with you. So in the same way it's kind of easier to do a multiplayer on the same computer.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 06:58:32 AM »

I for one do understand how much of a pain multiplayer is to code.
but this thread is more for speculation on what it WOULD be like in my mind anyway.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

bubbalubber

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 06:11:37 PM »

my personal fave of my ideas is the idea of a group of peopls each controlling a dif ship in the fleet against each other.
and yeah, the idea of the points thing would be total war style. so you could go with a small elite fleet or a large but less well trained fleet

bubbalubber

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 06:27:13 PM »

is there anybody in the forums who knows where to even start on stuff like net code for making multiplayer? maybe we could make it as a mod or offer our help to the developers so everyone could enjoy it?

Daveydude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:07 PM »

Personally I think it would be nice just for two players to load a fleet each then battle them over LAN. If there was a separate mode added purely for this, it probably wouldn't be too hard to add in. Some methods of multiplayer involve just syncing the games, with minor differences that only the user sees. Once you get past the desync issues, and add a seperate control set for the other player, it would likely work fairly easily. That said, there is at least a couple of weeks worth getting it working and more in crushing all the bugs. The closer you keep it to the single player the less work it is.
Pages: 1 [2] 3