Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I need an idea for a ship and its loadout...  (Read 3300 times)

Kilconey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
I need an idea for a ship and its loadout...
« on: March 09, 2012, 10:30:20 AM »

Something more along the lines of "Independent big boom boom, death to the world" type of ship.

Any ideas?

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: I need an idea for a ship and its loadout...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 10:50:24 AM »

The last thing in the world anyone needs is a more gratuitously overpowered ship.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 10:51:01 AM »

Paragon will be the closest, but in my experience few ships can do everything on their own. Actually the aurora is really dang close.  :)

I'd have to fiddle with loadouts to give you a good one. :/  Probably grav beams, tac lasers, and torps. LOTS of torps.

EDIT: Oh if you are going to mod that in you are on your own. I think the capital ships are fine as they are.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Kilconey

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 10:59:35 AM »

Okay, thanks.

Grendel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:27 AM »

Honestly? Paragon. Empty the forward hardpoints. Put the tachyon lances in the 2 large turrets. Speed mod, maneuver mod, turret speed mod. 4 blasters in the forward medium slots, 8 LR PD lasers, pulse lasers in the aft medium mounts. 50 flux vents, bunch of capacitors.

I've been flying this for a while. I can go toe to toe with ANY battleship and fry it whole, while his buddies are clawing at me trying to stop me. Of course, all the small ships died to sniping fire before we ever engaged. My old rail Onslaught was fun, but this thing is just overpowered. I've screwed up large and engaged 2 onslaughts AND a couple of cruisers at once, and come out battered but alive while all 4 hostiles are dead.

Paragons are insane.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 07:58:13 AM »

Onslaught with:

2x Gauss Cannon on the hard points
3x Hephaestus AG on the Large Ballistic mounts
6x railgun or 4xrailgun 2x small assault gun on the small mounts
2x Heavy Machine gun on the back 2 med mounts (keeps pesky frigates off your engines better then flak does)
Rest of your med mounts flak guns
4x pillum or 4x reaper launcher for missiles
Leave the two med ballistic turrets in front of the bridge empty.

Armored turrets
Integrated Targeting unit
Extended Mags
Turret Gyros

Rest in whatever, but I like vents.

Anything with shields is overloaded very fast from extreme range, and then savaged with either torpedoes, insane range assault guns, or pillum spam.  Smaller ships can't get close, bigger ships are sitting ducks.  Immune to missiles and fighters with all the flak.  Overloading isn't a problem because you only raise shields to block torpedoes/cluster bombs if necessary, and most of the time the flaks will eat them.  Your armored turrets keep firing if you ever get in range to take damage on the armor from anything, and they swivel fast enough to track the little guys.

Even Paragons can't stand up to this because they rely on shields and you do so much kinetic damage from out of it's range that it will be in overload/vent range once you're close enough.  Then you launch 4 torpedoes or sit back and let the AGs do their work.   
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 08:02:54 AM by Commissar Krieg »

pigreko

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »

1 vs 1 multiplayer paragon vs onlslaught could be fun! BUT consider that with just 4 tachyon lance and 4 blasters or graviton, overwhelming any onslaught shield and therefore disabling its main turrets, could be a very easy task.
In an head on fight, there is no need to absorb all the gauss damage with shields, I can just rise them when I meet other weapons fire, but until then enjoy 50% damage on my heavy armor. With 2 evenly good players I guess the result could vary between even or paragon victory.

Surething, you cannot take the wrong turn versus an onslaught, exposing your self to that kind of firepower may result in the fastest way toward heaven.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 12:18:12 PM »

1 vs 1 multiplayer paragon vs onlslaught could be fun! BUT consider that with just 4 tachyon lance and 4 blasters or graviton, overwhelming any onslaught shield and therefore disabling its main turrets, could be a very easy task.
In an head on fight, there is no need to absorb all the gauss damage with shields, I can just rise them when I meet other weapons fire, but until then enjoy 50% damage on my heavy armor. With 2 evenly good players I guess the result could vary between even or paragon victory.

Surething, you cannot take the wrong turn versus an onslaught, exposing your self to that kind of firepower may result in the fastest way toward heaven.

Yeah mutliplayer would be amazing, the outcome of that fight would really come down to the players.

ArthropodOfDoom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 03:05:56 PM »

assuming you are modding in a new ship, I suggest a better missile boat similar to the Buffalo Mk. II.
I was thinking 4 small missile racks pointing about 30 degrees away from forward, 2 to a side.
On top, two swiveling medium mounts, and 2-4 laser PD mounts front-back or on the corners of the ship.
Essentially a hammerhead with missiles instead of ballistic points.
Another possible setup could be no swiveling launchers on top, but 4 medium launchers at the aforementioned light missile points.
This means around a dozen missiles from from the proper points launched at your enemy.
If you want you could put two small missile mounts (swiveling, of course) on top for swarmers/etc.
Let's say I'm captaining the ISS Slightly Lopsided Isosceles Triangle here.