Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Gamma Core deployed in Colony structures. lowers monthly income of planet.  (Read 6738 times)

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Gamma Core deployed in Colony structures. lowers monthly income of planet.
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2018, 12:13:13 PM »

I hope core world eradication is a victory condition (though not necessarily the only one) in the finished version of Starsector.
Odd.  I'd expect it to be a game over condition... but not a victorious one.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2018, 12:20:10 PM »

Gamma cores aren't the main reason for doing this, yeah, but it'll stop them from being a *de*buff, which is good.

Fair point re: Industrial Planning, but tbh, I'm not overly concerned about what happens after the player's faction is the only one left. That's not really the intended end-game arc of things, and if it were, the game would be basically over at that point anyway.
This is going a a bit by the way, but I hope Industrial Planning 1 will change a bit in the future. 2 and 3 are useful, but 1 really isn't. I hope there's some way to stop it from being basically just a skill tax.
Odd.  I'd expect it to be a game over condition... but not a victorious one.
Until there's anything harder to do in the game, It's as good as it gets. It's not about making sense within the game universe, it's about showing the game who's the boss.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2018, 03:14:27 PM »

I hope core world eradication is a victory condition (though not necessarily the only one) in the finished version of Starsector.
Odd.  I'd expect it to be a game over condition... but not a victorious one.
If you have colonized other planets that have everything and destroyed all your enemies, that seems like a complete victory since there is no one left to stop your rule of the entire sector as you see fit, except maybe colony limit.

As for pirates and pathers, just have someone knock them down once a year, and call it a day.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2018, 03:16:01 PM by Megas »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2018, 03:24:32 PM »

(Moved this to suggestions.)

A couple of quick notes: in the dev build, demand from player colonies doesn't increase the market value that the player draws from, so that'll fix the gamma cores reducing income, as well as rein in the insane late-game income. There's also an upkeep reduction based on the portion of commodities supplied in-faction; this simulates/gives a nod to imports not being free while also not making them a ruinous expense for new colonies.
Oh!  Actually, here's a good idea: Make it so that the above-mentioned upkeep reduction calculates the amount reduced by AI cores (or administrator skills) as 'commodity supplied in-faction'.  So, say, if the base requirement for a thing is, say, four metal, and your colonies currently produce no metal, and you put a gamma core on it, it gets the upkeep reduction as if one metal was being supplied in-faction.

Late game that might still not matter, but it would give gamma cores -some- use beyond that initial "I'm still building my spaceport" phase.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2018, 10:10:10 PM »

Oh!  Actually, here's a good idea: Make it so that the above-mentioned upkeep reduction calculates the amount reduced by AI cores (or administrator skills) as 'commodity supplied in-faction'.  So, say, if the base requirement for a thing is, say, four metal, and your colonies currently produce no metal, and you put a gamma core on it, it gets the upkeep reduction as if one metal was being supplied in-faction.
It would same purpose as a beta core (saving money). While not exactly a bad bonus, it's a bit samey. But it wouldn't be harmful, at least.
Pages: 1 [2]