Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Ode to the Paragon!  (Read 12405 times)

adecoy95

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ode to the Paragon!
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:43:05 PM »

The most powerful ship in the fleet!

missile hard-points are expensive, who needs em?   ;D

http://youtu.be/EwrE4I7ZlXU

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Ode to the Paragon!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »

lol nicely done, the music was perfect, it made the Paragon seem so elegant/graceful.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:32:04 PM »

Che. A ship for captains without style.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

adecoy95

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 09:24:57 AM »

lol nicely done, the music was perfect, it made the Paragon seem so elegant/graceful.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »

The most powerful ship in the fleet!

Misinformation!  Propaganda!  It's common knowledge that the Onslaught is the most powerful ship in the fleet.  Your Paragon's shields are helpless vs 2 Gauss Cannons and 6 railguns, and 4 torpedoes will follow the inevitable overload/vent.  The Onslaught also boasts heavier armor. 

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:04:41 PM »

I totally agree with you (though the paragons is the more advanced) and please tell me where did you get that stamp?? :D and are there different stamps :D?

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »

I totally agree with you (though the paragons is the more advanced) and please tell me where did you get that stamp?? :D and are there different stamps :D?

I googled it to be honest, I'm at work or I would have posted a better one.

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 01:14:26 PM »

No no no! You got it all wrong! The best ship is the Odyssey..  :P I mean come on peoples, it has a flight deck! Flight deck?!??! Does it get any better?  ;)

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:16:07 PM »

I maintain that players that go for 'the most powerful ship' as opposed to ships with class have zero style. Heroes never fly the best ships, just the coolest.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:55:43 PM »

I maintain that players that go for 'the most powerful ship' as opposed to ships with class have zero style. Heroes never fly the best ships, just the coolest.

It's hard to be stylish when you're dead.

If that's what it means to be a hero, I'd rather play the villain.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:33 PM »

Starfarer isn't a game that's so difficult that you're required to choose uniformly between one or the other, and I'm not so shoddy a player that I'd prefer to roll with the best ships any time.

Conquest, baby, THAT'S a heroic ship. Maneuver and firepower over mobile gun emplacement any day.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:14:11 PM »

Conquest, baby, THAT'S a heroic ship. Maneuver and firepower over mobile gun emplacement any day.

I really do appreciate the Conquest for the greater tactical challenges it presents. Paragon gets a bit dull to fight (I especially don't like the Lances), but it is undoubtedly a powerful ship. The Onslaught also presents some greater challenges since it's so easy to get caught outflanked and at high flux with all the weaponry it's packing (in addition to the abysmal shield efficiency). The Odyssey is a bit like the Paragon in that it's almost too easy to use, but it does take a bit more finesse and offers some interesting versatility thanks to its flight deck.

So overall, I wouldn't mind any of these in my fleet. But I'd trust a Paragon or Odyssey to the AI. A Conquest or Onslaught, I'll helm myself.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »

Absolutely agreed. It is the Word of God that the Paragon or the Onslaught are the 'best' ships, but I'm capable enough that I find them.... boring. As I said, without style. The Conquest is visually appealing, and is planned the way I happen to like it, which is why I fly it. Doting a ship that's already considered to be the best if not one of the best seems a bit......cheap.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:29:11 PM »

Well it all depends on what you are fighting. I'd say flying a fleet with an Onslaught into a fleet 4 times your size (including 4 Onslaughts) would not count as cheap :D

I personally don't like the big capital ships because of my current play style, but they are very pretty to watch explode :D

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 02:30:56 PM »

I don't mean to say flying either ship is cheap, I mean to say doting on them, reveling in their numbers-driven awesomeness is what's cheap. I mean, of course they're good. They're statted out to be good. They don't need your praise, your odes.

Pages: [1] 2