Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AI problems have reared their ugly head again  (Read 1176 times)

Takion Kasukedo

• Admiral
  • No longer drinking (Alcohol that is)
    • View Profile
AI problems have reared their ugly head again
« on: December 10, 2018, 01:28:20 PM »

Today I have realised a problem beknownst to any AI that uses maneuverability-based systems, and possibly light ships.

Spoiler
[close]

In this screenshot here, a Tunguska (with a maneuverability system revolving around a burst drive that allows it to move quickly) charges and suicides into a station.

It's not the only thing this type of AI does it to. It will charge anything and absolutely refuses to back off, often overloading itself and quite literally suiciding into capitals, especially anything it has it's ire focused on. This happens with all classes of ships, so long as they have a maneuverability system.

The ships that usually use a burn drive are almost totally safe from doing obscene things like this. It's most indefinitely the maneuvering jet-type ships that have this problem from my experiences.

Please check whatever causes this problem, as i'm completely certain it happens in vanilla as well.
Is now able to cook a decent Creamy Salmon Pasta, amok other things.

Still loves purple. Still not skilled enough to make a mod that doesn't get that one damn error.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI problems have reared their ugly head again
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2018, 01:40:06 PM »

Having checked into a similar issue a bit back, it was an issue with:

"aiType":"MANEUVERING_JETS",

With a ship system that forces the ship to move forward while it's on.

That is to say, this looks like an issue of setting the wrong AI type for the specifics of a system. A system that forces the ship to move forward either needs to use the "BURN_DRIVE" aiType, or a custom AI entirely. The "MANEUVERING_JETS" AI assumes the system can be used to back off safely - or just improve maneuverability temporarily - and should not be used with a ship system where this assumption is incorrect.

Would you mind letting the respective mod authors know? Assuming, of course, that what I'm saying is correct for this case.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2018, 03:22:01 PM »

This is fixed in the dev version. I'll probably push an update just so we can stop talking about it.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2018, 03:35:51 PM »

Ah, sorry, didn't realize this was actually the exact same issue we'd already covered - assumed it was another mod.