Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: GSP: Gratuitous Space Pirates (0.8)  (Read 56392 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: GSP: Gratuitous Space Pirates (upcoming Mod for 0.34a)
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2011, 11:48:16 AM »

Excellent, congrats! Very gracious of Cliff.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: GSP: Gratuitous Space Pirates (Released for 0.34a Preview 2)
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 09:46:50 PM »

Added The Senkan, a Pirate Battleship, and made it available in version 0.3 of the mod. Updated first post with link.

calmforce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2011, 01:19:45 AM »

Wonderful, congratulation to receiving the permission and to your first mod. As soon as the Preview is out for MAC I will try it! :-)

I hope there are no hard feelings. I like ask difficult questions early as I think it´s better safe than sorry.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2011, 12:37:57 AM »

Original post now updated with link to version 0.4 of the mod.

Added two new missions and tweaked some of the variants a tad, especially the Senkan battleship. I also removed the battleship from the first mission, as it didn't really belong there anyway, I just didn't have anywhere else to put it. Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the way the missions turned out and they were really fun to make!

I also added a new medium-sized ballistic weapon. I was unhappy with the ammo capacity of the Flak cannons (they tended to run out really, really quickly when you have no shields) so I took the regular small-sized Vulcan, and gave it like 5x more ammo, upgraded it to a medium weapon and called it the High-Capacity Vulcan Cannon. I also tweaked the turret base graphic a bit, to add "ammo cartridges" to the side of the base, it looks pretty good. Both the Senkan and the Washi ships use this new vulcan for ballistic point defense against torpedoes and fighters.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 12:39:38 AM by Trylobot »

calmforce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »

Wonderful mod, very very fun ships and missions. One question though: are the enemy ships in the third mission supposed to fly through the map and retreat on my side without doing battle?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2011, 09:21:10 AM »

One question though: are the enemy ships in the third mission supposed to fly through the map and retreat on my side without doing battle?

Hmm... this is probably due to the AI quirk. It needs some freighters/civilian ships on the escaping side, otherwise it orders the military ships to retreat a bit too early.

This is assuming that mission has the enemy fleet goal set to "ESCAPE", which is what it sounds like.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 09:59:16 AM »

Whoops! I only meant to have the AI escape on the first mission, and there are civvie ships in that one. The other two are just straight fights. Main post updated with new version.

Download Version 0.5

calmforce

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: GSP: Gratuitous Space Pirates v0.5 (Mod for 0.34a)
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 11:13:04 AM »

Wonderful, now it works allright! :-)

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2011, 07:02:19 PM »

Just installed and play a couple rounds, very fun.  I dig being loaded with vulcan cannon though I wished the Bilge Pump had either a cannon with little punch to it or some sort of missile/torpedo, maybe just a few reavers?  The Senkan-class ship felt a little better rounded out though the second mission seemed to underscore how slow she is.  What do you think about adding a nav beacon in the middle-right of that mission that the sides can contend over? 

andrewekeren

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2011, 07:28:35 AM »

Great mod!  I am amazed at how balanced this is. 

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 08:18:56 AM »

I wished the Bilge Pump had either a cannon with little punch to it or some sort of missile/torpedo, maybe just a few reavers

Ah, but you've missed the point of this ship. It's a point-defense carrier, keep it in reserve and out of the fighting. It's got more flight decks than an astral-class carrier, so you can pretty much send fighter squadrons back to be retooled whenever you like, but it needs to stay out of direct combat especially with other capital ships. It's fast enough that you can outrun them, and any enemy fighters who try and harass it will get pummeled.

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2011, 09:21:41 AM »

Ah, but you've missed the point of this ship. It's a point-defense carrier, keep it in reserve and out of the fighting. It's got more flight decks than an astral-class carrier, so you can pretty much send fighter squadrons back to be retooled whenever you like, but it needs to stay out of direct combat especially with other capital ships. It's fast enough that you can outrun them, and any enemy fighters who try and harass it will get pummeled.

Fair enough, but I guess I just didn't feel like I needed a dedicated super-carrier on that mission (there are only like 4 or 5 wings of enemy fighters to my 5, they didn't care about the carrier for one).  He just looked all lonely and back-of-the-bus-like.    :(

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »

I should make a fourth mission as an intro that highlights this, maybe a very fighter-heavy one, and give the enemy a lot of fighters but only one crappy carrier, or something. I'll give them torps to make it scary.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: GSP: Gratuitous Space Pirates 0.6
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2011, 10:22:40 AM »

Added; new download link updated in first post, and here

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: GSP: Gratuitous Space Pirates 0.6
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2011, 04:45:37 PM »

Good mission name, I lol'd. 

Hehe, all of the machine gun fire in the mission pummeled my frame rate to dust.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4