Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: What happens if you set up a colony in a remnant system?  (Read 23839 times)

arcadinal

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What happens if you set up a colony in a remnant system?
« on: December 08, 2018, 05:15:17 AM »

Just curious if anyone knows what happens if you set up a colony in a system that still has active remnant forces or a station in it?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: What happens if you set up a colony in a remnant system?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 05:31:33 AM »

Your patrols will fight them.  As your colony and patrols grow they may kill off the Remnant presence eventually.

MajorTheRed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 08:57:32 AM »

In a Low-level threat, it's a nuisance in the beginning of your colony.
At medium-level, it will be longer till your patrol are able to beat them. I don't know how destroying the combat station affect spawning of remnant fleet however. Same for high level.
In the end it will mostly affect trade fleet and stability of your colony but I don't think they will bomb your colony (yet)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 09:58:51 AM »

It would be amusing to deface or paint graffiti on the warning beacon after my faction drives out the Remnants and has a thriving colony where Remnants used to be.  It is like clearing out a dungeon then renovating and turning it into a more hospitable base or town.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 11:08:00 AM »

In my experience, after you destroy Remnant Nexus, medium danger systems have no issue destroying all the remaining Remnants. In low security, they aren't an issue at all.

brasidas2000

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2018, 05:30:15 PM »

I can answer this one.

I actually colonized two systems with High Danger level remnant infestations, and one system with a low danger level remnant infestation. Terran/Swamp worlds with adundant Rare minerals don't grow on trees after all (just one system had such a gem). Anyway, since I had a colonization task force with no Capital ships, I didn't feel I could stay in system to slug it out with remnant capitals and I wanted to see what would happen with time and neglect. I also added a bunch of industry and commerce before I left both systems to implant Gamma and Beta cores. I also added a System HQ, but did not attempt to build an orbital station (which is where the remnant nexus was located no less).

There seemed to be no deleterious effects economically or militarily from having my colonies co-inhabit a planet with a nexus in orbit around them. I was fighting pirate raids and raids from the Perseans and the Hegemony on my other worlds, so I was occupied for almost half a year fending for those worlds while my co-habitated systems suffered no incursions from any forces other than Ludic Path. I could invest in growth incentives and there was no stability penalty indicated on the colony stability menu either. Both systems reached level 5 in less than six months. I sure wish the Hegemony had looked for some AI cores on those worlds though.

Anyway, I built up a NEXUS removal fleet, and proceeded to visit those colonies being so horribly provided such an effective and completely free defense force, and noticed that Scavenger and Privateer fleets/task forces would spawn and head towards my co-habitated systems when I was within a LY of the colony system. Once I was in system, there were all kinds of overmatched battles where Scavengers, Privateers, and the occasional Patrol force were locked in highly unequal combat. The AI would focus solely on the planetary fast picket forces while I was much closer to them and behind them (also much slower than a fast picket force). It was very easy to then waltz right in and initiate solo combat with the Nexus as all remnant fleets were scattered chasing much faster targets.

It's been a couple days since I destroyed the Nexus and the in system remnant fleets are still powerful, but I jump them when they get isolated, otherwise I steer them away from my colony. No stability impact to the colony, and no observed economical impact from having homicidal remnant AI running loose attacking all shipping. I suspect the remnant fleets will be slowly attrited over time as my forces gain supremacy and the remnants have no means by which to replace material losses.

Based on what I experienced in my play through where I neglected my newly colonized worlds with High Danger remnant forces, I conjecture following:

Primary hypothesis: It is assumed no one would colonize a system with High Danger level remnant forces.

1) Since no one is supposed to colonize infested systems, the AI is not attacking simulated shipping when the player is not within a certain distance of the system.

2) Because of the primary hypothesis, there is no effect on stability.

3) Because of the primary hypothesis, there is no negative economic impact.

4) Because of the primary hypothesis, there is no negative impact on growth.

5) Because the system is still High Danger level, the AI also does not schedule raids by pirates, other factions, or schedule Hegemony inspections.

I also base this hypothesis in part on my experience with the low danger remnant infested system. My player fleet is too slow to catch the enemy droneships even if I intercept the fleet. However, the system fast pickets can catch them. Until I visited this colony, (which is located near by the High Danger remnant colonies), the in system pickets did not intercept these fast (but weak and very finite) remnant forces. After I visited this system, the picket forces were catching and dispatching these small forces.

This lends to the possibility that when the player is absent for long periods (a week or more maybe), the system economic/military simulation becomes abstracted until the player "visits" to make the "in system" simulation start resolving these factors.

solardawning

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 10:52:47 PM »

I put two colonies in a High Danger system. AI expeditions happened as normal. The first few were wiped out by the Remnant. As my colonies grew to Size 4 w/max upgraded military bases, they killed the Remnant station and cleaned the place up on their own while I was out of the system.

HillTop

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2019, 01:23:44 PM »

I had an interesting game where I set up a colony in a system that had SIX Nexus stations (lots of nebula, so I didn't know that at first.)  I did get a negative to access from trade fleets being wiped.  It took quite a while to take down those stations while avoiding too frequent clashes with the large number of Remnant fleets.  Turned into quite the guerrilla campaign of striking hard then disappearing into the nebula to repair and rearm while hoping to avoid accidental discovery.     

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »

nothing will happen

"trade" does not depend on fleets, ever with 100% of trade fleets lost, your colony will grow and provide income.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2019, 06:01:15 PM »

nothing will happen

"trade" does not depend on fleets, ever with 100% of trade fleets lost, your colony will grow and provide income.

This is not entirely true - disrupted trade fleets will hurt stability. A good colony will still be profitable, but it will take a hit.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2019, 08:05:27 PM »

This is not entirely true - disrupted trade fleets will hurt stability. A good colony will still be profitable, but it will take a hit.
That happened to me a few times when my fleets got mulched by enemies.

RawCode

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2019, 12:31:40 AM »

in need really intense beating to get significant drop, getting way down to zero stability solely by destruction of fleets is nigh impossible.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2019, 05:21:37 AM »

Trade disruption is not a major colony threat, but it is an annoyance because it takes a noticeable bite out of income, much like pirate activity with a bigger base that takes more than -1/-10%.

gabi455

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2020, 03:01:25 AM »

i setup a colony wher was a reminent nexus so the reminents never stopd.
It was irateting and i needed fortressis, but at least i framd infinit amunt of ai cores. :)