Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Oga Portrait Pack  (Read 58725 times)

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Oga Portrait Pack
« on: December 08, 2018, 01:07:06 AM »

Greetings, first time posting. Thanks to the guys on discord for helping me find the post button after so many years of lurking.
So i thought for my first post i'll post a small-ish mod.

To the point:

Oga Portrait Pack v1.2 adds ~150 somewhat 'realistic' portraits.

It replaces most of the vanilla ones and adds a sci fi frame to them.
Why? It makes it easier for me to steal art more immersive!

The New Portraits the mod uses that will mostly *replace the vanilla ones, with a more subjective 'realistic' version:
* No need to back up existing files, mod will not replace existing game file. If you disable the mod the usual way, vanilla portraits will show up back again.

How it actually looks in game:
Spoiler

[close]

In v1.2 I streamlined allot of the portraits so each faction will have an even more unique feel to it:

The Hegemony & The Sindarin Diktat
Spoiler
[close]
League & Tri Tachion
Spoiler
[close]
Ludites, Various Indep. & Pirates
Spoiler
[close]

Also introducing in 1.2 is limited OPTIONAL mod 'support', the portraits and files can be found in the download link for supported mods.
Some assembly is still required, as you need to override said mods .faction file "portrait" section with the inside of the z_modname file included. Nothing a notepad cant do, and its pretty straight forward.
It mostly just adds a blue circle around existing portraits, and adds portraits i find fitting to MY understanding of the factions theme.
Honestly, its not even worth the hassle, but if you are developing minor ADHD, this really scratches the itch.
If you are using other mods, other then the one ive listed, you can use the blue template ive provided above, but thats really too much work now...
Still the option is there, if you have nothing better to do

Spoiler
Blackrock Drive Yards

just override the portraits from \mods\Blackrock Drive Yards\graphics\BR\portraits with the one in the z_file

Diable Avionics

just copy the portrait info section from the z_file into \mods\DIABLEAVIONICS\data\world\factions\diableavionics.faction (do not overwrite whole file!)

Foundation of Borken

just replace the 2 portraits in \mods\Foundation Of Borken\graphics\portraits

Neutrino Corp

dump the portraits FOLDER into \mods\Neutrino corp\graphics\neut
copy the portrait info from z_file to \mods\Neutrino corp\data\world\factions\neutrinocorp.faction (do not overwrite whole file!)

SCY Nation

dump the portraits into \mods\SCY\graphics\SCY\portraits
copy the portrait info from z_file to the .faction file

Sylphon RND

same thing...

[close]

Changelog:
V1.2
- Updated for 1.9.1.a
- More streamlined realistic look, that should make each faction look unique
- Limited mod support

Spoiler

V1.1
- Better distribution of portraits to give a more cohesive "art direction" for vanilla factions.
- Added the sci fi border to the in game named characters you might meet.
v1
- Adds 157 Portraits
- Replaces all in game portraits, without overriding files
[close]
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:22:20 AM by Ogaburan »

Ambient

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Oga Portrait Pack
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2018, 06:24:22 AM »

Very nice!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2018, 07:23:45 AM »

Looks great man! Just one question:
If it replaces the original portraits does that mean I will need to make a backup of the old ones before I install your mod?

Kittah Khan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2018, 08:14:19 AM »

If it replaces the original portraits does that mean I will need to make a backup of the old ones before I install your mod?

No, thankfully, that's not how StarSector mods work.
If you have a portrait in starsector-core called "bla" and a mod also has a portrait called "bla", the mod's "bla" portrait will be preferred, if you disable the mod, it goes back to the default.

travhill20

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 08:20:35 AM »

They look really nice! Good for you for making what I think is the first black starsector character. I have one small critique, you should probably remove the Stellaris art.
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2018, 08:28:50 AM »

No, thankfully, that's not how StarSector mods work.
If you have a portrait in starsector-core called "bla" and a mod also has a portrait called "bla", the mod's "bla" portrait will be preferred, if you disable the mod, it goes back to the default.

Thank you!

Daquan_Baton

• Ensign
  • Selling this sphere thing for $10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2018, 10:24:04 AM »

They look really nice! Good for you for making what I think is the first black starsector character. I have one small critique, you should probably remove the Stellaris art.

SCY actually has two black character portraits.
Trapped in a freaking derelict tugboat...

DrakonST

• Captain
  • Lizard-Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2018, 11:57:02 AM »

I more love Vanilla style. When game build in one style and mod put in game something from different style it looks realy not good.
I a Russian. And i communicate with the help of Promt Translate. And I am a color-blind person.

Techhead

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2018, 01:17:32 PM »

They look really nice! Good for you for making what I think is the first black starsector character.
SCY actually has two black character portraits.
Vanilla also has its fair share of black portraits as well. I was kinda curious exactly how many, so I went and counted. There's 16 of them in the current version.

SierraTangoDelta

• Commander
  • Who could it be?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 02:08:54 PM »

Hey, that's a nice border! Did you make that yourself?
I'd like to get that so I can add some portraits of my own.

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 11:19:38 PM »

Yeah, my wording is not the best... I will add some kind of disclaimer to address this.

Thanks!
Not even sure which ones are the Stellaris art, i just used what i thought looked nice or fit a theme.
And if we are going down that rabbit hole, im pretty sure Disney will be more angry at me for "borrowing" star trek likenesses rather then Paradox...

I more love Vanilla style. When game build in one style and mod put in game something from different style it looks realy not good.
Yeah I actually agree with you, but it was a compromise:
1. I like backgrounds, preferably ones with some kind of cockpit in the background (Lacking i know! But maybe something i will add in the future)
2. Not having borders limits me in the portraits i wanted to use
3. Being a square puts even more limitations on cropping
4. Cropping pictures to fit a template is far less time consuming, so instead of making 6 or 7 "proper portraits" I was able to make 157!
[sarcasm]And we all know quantity is better then quality![/sarcasm]
5. Ease of use, anyone with the template i provided can add anything they want, even 200 pictures of various.... *sigh* wifeus...

Hey, that's a nice border! Did you make that yourself?
I'd like to get that so I can add some portraits of my own.
Nope didn't do it myself, im pretty sure its freewhere as ive seen it on several dnd token makers/card making free programs... been using it for so long i dont recall exactly from where.

You can download it from the main post, and if you add something and want to incorporate it in this mod... well... the more the merrier!

I actually have a question myself;
Is there a way to edit the .faction files in the mod to actually stop a faction from using a certain vanilla portrait.
I mean, there are some portraits that hang around with Luddites, Persean League AND Hegemony... that is just wrong. I did my best to try and make each faction look unique in their pilots...
Thanks in advance.

Obsidian Actual

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2018, 12:01:40 AM »

From what I understand, you'd have to "whitelist" portraits for every faction, instead of "blacklisting" them.

An example of how this is done is HELMUT's own portrait pack (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10836.0).

If you navigate to data > world > factions, you'll see that he has defined a .faction file for every faction ID (vanilla or modded).

The contents of each file is pretty straightforward:

Code
{
"portraits":{
"standard_male":[
"graphics/portraits/prt_2.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_3.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_4.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_5.png",
],
"standard_female":[
"graphics/portraits/prt_1.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_25.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_35.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_36.png",
],
},
},

It's tedious, but here you can specify the paths of the PNGs that should be allowed for NPCs of a certain faction/gender.
Making a PNG available for both genders is as simple as just having the path under both "standard_male" and "standard_female".

So yeah, if you have the patience to go through and do this for every faction (vanilla, and potentially some of your favorite modded ones), you're good to go.

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2018, 01:24:17 AM »

From what I understand, you'd have to "whitelist" portraits for every faction, instead of "blacklisting" them.

An example of how this is done is HELMUT's own portrait pack (http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=10836.0).

If you navigate to data > world > factions, you'll see that he has defined a .faction file for every faction ID (vanilla or modded).

The contents of each file is pretty straightforward:

Code
{
"portraits":{
"standard_male":[
"graphics/portraits/prt_2.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_3.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_4.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_5.png",
],
"standard_female":[
"graphics/portraits/prt_1.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_25.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_35.png",
"graphics/portraits/prt_36.png",
],
},
},

It's tedious, but here you can specify the paths of the PNGs that should be allowed for NPCs of a certain faction/gender.
Making a PNG available for both genders is as simple as just having the path under both "standard_male" and "standard_female".

So yeah, if you have the patience to go through and do this for every faction (vanilla, and potentially some of your favorite modded ones), you're good to go.

Heh, this is what I did!

I assumed this does not override vanilla rather merges with it, this is excellent new!
Back to the drawing board!

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2019, 05:29:46 PM »

Finally got to updating this mod, should work with 1.9.1.a, and some mod supposrt

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2019, 11:25:33 PM »

So wait a second, let me get this straight. Not only are you creating a mod using stolen art from God knows how many sources... You also are now adding this stolen art to the pool of portraits in other mods without asking first too!

But wait there is more, you are even modifying and overwriting the art from some of those mods that add their own original not stolen art. Man the stones on you, and I don't mean that in a good way.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4