Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Oga Portrait Pack  (Read 58475 times)

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Oga Portrait Pack
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2019, 12:06:25 AM »

So wait a second, let me get this straight. Not only are you creating a mod using stolen art from God knows how many sources... You also are now adding this stolen art to the pool of portraits in other mods without asking first too!

But wait there is more, you are even modifying and overwriting the art from some of those mods that add their own original not stolen art. Man the stones on you, and I don't mean that in a good way.

lol, i knew someone like you will pop up. Thats why i didn't want to update this, despite requests.

To clarify, the art that overrides other mods are totally optional.
The original work clearly do not match my aesthetic choice (which is also an optional choice, and arguably a bad one), so people asked me to modify them.
I also claim nowhere ownership of the art, in fact unlike other portrait packs i clearly make fun of the obvious art "theft". If you are sensitive about, or want to compensate the artists involved who own the pictures, its really not hard to find who own the mostly famous people portraits i use, its for the large part Electronic Arts, Disruptor Beam, Inc., Tilting Point, Viacom ect...

Also, dont get me wrong, if the community thinks this is a faux pas, i will remove the mod.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2019, 12:43:11 AM »

*Yawns*.

If by someone like me you mean someone who cares about you know, stolen art, not directly modifying other mods and adding stolen content to them without asking for permission or anything. Then yea of course this was going to happen sooner or later, how dare someone with even a smidgen of a moral compass show up and go yo that isn't cool man.

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2019, 01:05:15 AM »

I honestly dont get the criticism,

Its not the only, nor the first portrait pack to use "100% original artwork" - so not sure why singled out.
Regarding the altering of other mods;
1. Its all optional, to fit with the theme of the main portrait mod
2. For the most part it adds additional content, or just frames it in a blue-ish circle
3. No one is profiting out of this, nor begging for donations
4. Its clearly marked as not using original art, its just a collection of mostly pinterest pictures i found interesting and collected to fit a theme, you can literally see theses pictures there for free as well. Or not... being optional.

If any of the modders of the mods ive included "support" for, find this in poor taste i will remove if ofc.
I honestly dont find why optional 3rd party minor cosmetic changes will offend anyone, like adding a blue circle to "fit in".

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2019, 01:12:48 AM »

Other people steal so I can too!

Other mods have been called out for altering other mods without permission.

It is all optional, just download my mod that then messes with other mods putting them at risk of DMCA too!

For the most part it just adds additional stolen content, or frames it a blue circle. Oh also replaces all the BRDY portraits with stolen ones not just modifying them with a circle that bit is important too.

No one is making money from this, therefore stealing and then distributing said stolen content is OK!

I said it is stolen therefore it is OK that I stole it and also *** with other mods!

*yawns*
You got nothing, your arguments are about the worst I ever seen. This is a *** world man, thanks for making it even worse.

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2019, 01:27:14 AM »

For the most part it just adds additional stolen content, or frames it a blue circle. Oh also replaces all the BRDY portraits with stolen ones not just modifying them with a circle that bit is important too.

This is a valid point. I will explain my side.
If you prefer the old BRDY portraits, which are not bad at all, but i went for a more photo realistic collections (ive also deleted about 40 portraits from v1.1 as well, so nothing "personal"), you can NOT override them with the optional files included, as its quite a hassle anyway.
You can also use the blue circle i provided, and add and tweak any existing portrait in this collection if you dont like it.
This is just my interpretation of my starsector, no one says its better or any good then anyone else.
If you prefer a collection of waifus instead of this photo realistic collection, feel free to use that instead. Or even better, combine them! lol

Gwyvern

• Captain
  • I build ships.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2019, 03:41:17 AM »

You know, it only takes a short conversation with someone to ask if they want their work to be included in something like this, before doing all the work on your end and getting attached to the result, and most of the big mod makers at least are open to cooperation with new ventures if their creators are willing to, you know, actually cooperate.

What is a lot harder, is to go through all the trouble, doing something like this, dropping it at the feet of the people it affects, and then going "I'm here now, deal with it"

Furthermore, given that your mod could potentially put anyone included at risk of legal ramifications, I'm fairly certain most would say no in this case. And if you had bothered asking anyone beforehand, you probably would have found this out before putting all the work in.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 03:45:10 AM by Gwyvern »

namad

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Oga Portrait Pack
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2019, 05:05:18 AM »

I've been using this mod in 0.9.1 BEFORE it was updated and it worked totally fine.

I like the stolen art. Half the point of mods is that you can use stolen art in it. The developer of a game can't include stolen art, but the fans of a game can patch it in. Most sci-fi games have a star trek mod a star wars mod and sometimes even a babylon 5 mod or stargate mod. This has been true for decades. The fact the owners of those properties haven't been sue'ing is actually legal justification to keep doing it, given the way copyright works.

On top of that the usage of that art is transformative, I doubt there's an official kira avatar from star trek that he literally just took, he must've edited someone's drawing of kira.... which of course the artist that drew that art ALREADY didn't likely have permission to draw kira because it looks more like fan art of kira than ya know anything official.

That's the thing, for the most part fan artists don't have any rights, it's paramount that has those rights to complain, and I don't think they're going to. Given what they've historically allowed fans to do and what they haven't. So for example in that one case, the "stolen" art is basically entirely legal.

Now for anything stolen that is original content from an artist? Yes I agree it is 100% stealing. But personally I like the star trek inclusions and I don't see any real legal justification for not using them in my game. So, thanks!
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:08:04 AM by namad »

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2019, 05:28:48 AM »

Stolen art work is one thing - I am not really knowledgeable about such things, but in my opinion, obtaining permission to use content owned by other person should be done first.

As for modifying other mods - it's a big no from me. From my experience, a lot of people don't even know what each mod adds ("Is this vanilla?", while content is from Ship/Weapons Pack and other similar mods) which leads to my next point.

By modifying portraits added by other mods, you can cause issues for other modders, because stuff added by you to their mod can be assumed to be added by mod's author.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 05:31:38 AM by Avanitia »
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2019, 05:41:20 AM »

ON the other hand, a few mods have looks that wildly differ from the rest of Star Sectors and it's nice to change that from a personal immersion point. Un-like you I think of it as akin to an art pack for ToMe or Dwarf fortress sure the mod maker may want you to use aski like they intended but that's just not preferable at times.

fewd

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2019, 06:34:06 AM »

Is being butthurt about a few ruthlessly stolen portraits really a thing nowadays? Wow.

People have been using various portrait packs in countless games and this is the first time I see someone whining about stealing precious pixels to make a game look slightly nicer. If memory serves Baldur's Gate was the first game I saw bigger portrait packs for and I seriously doubt anyone went to R.A. Salvatore's publisher to ask if they can use whatever magic elf picture for their character. Personally I don't use the Oga pack since I don't want the blue circles but I see absolutely no problem with this, unless some artist specifically contacts you and asks you not to use their pixels.

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 06:47:51 AM »

Stolen art work is one thing - I am not really knowledgeable about such things, but in my opinion, obtaining permission to use content owned by other person should be done first.

As for modifying other mods - it's a big no from me. From my experience, a lot of people don't even know what each mod adds ("Is this vanilla?", while content is from Ship/Weapons Pack and other similar mods) which leads to my next point.

By modifying portraits added by other mods, you can cause issues for other modders, because stuff added by you to their mod can be assumed to be added by mod's author.

But thats exactly what im not doing, the base mod does not altet any other mod.

The mod itself is modular. Only if you want, you have instructions on how to alter other mods, in the form of partial .faction files. So therre is no way to do this, without actually seeing what you are altering. There is also no way it will cause any issues to other mods. Its just extra steps if you want to keep the same aestetic vision. Its more of a guideline and examples then an actual 'finnished product'. Thats why i marked it with partial mod support, 70% of the installation needs to be done by whoever downloads it.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 09:48:33 AM »

Yeah, please remove me from the list of mods yours affects. I don't want to be associated with this, and I don't want anyone to think I was responsible for your copyright violations.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2019, 11:54:22 AM »

All it takes it is a lawyer, a unpaid intern or a bot trolling youtube to make both a streamer's and Alex's life hell. Let me give you a scenario:
-A new streamer/ let's player finds starsector and enjoys it and thinks to start streaming it to show off this little gem of a game.
-Either they notice or one of their watchers notice that it can be easily modded, so they mod it to hell and back
-Because of the mod overwriting other mod's portraits, this mod and its artwork is front and center
-While streaming or after uploading the stream, they get noticed by a bot or a lawyer and they drop a DMCA on the streamer and or Alex because they don't know it is a mod.
--Bonus points: It is said streamer's 3rd strike

Now you have a p***ed off streamer, along with possibly their fanbase and a lawyer too, all getting on Alex because "your game included stolen artwork!" so now he has to dig through which mod was at fault and might even have to hire legal help. All because a mod is using copyrighted portraits.

"But it is transformative!/ It is just a mod!" you say. Bots/ lawyers don't care, ESPECIALLY when you can't fight back. These days it is easy as hell to strikes and these companies know you can't fight it

Also, most people get portrait packs to EXPAND the pool of portraits, not to override it. And overriding MOD content as well is a pretty d*** move in my opinion. You are replacing portraits that these modders worked hard on with your ripped pics/ artwork. Not cool man, not cool.
"But you can just go into the files and turn that off!" Yeah no. People are lazy and normal people aren't going to go into the files and do that themselves and the modders know this. That is why you work WITH the modders and do a whitelist
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Ogaburan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2019, 01:57:03 PM »

Yeah, please remove me from the list of mods yours affects. I don't want to be associated with this, and I don't want anyone to think I was responsible for your copyright violations.
Erm Sure...?
You actually had no art that i replaced (you dont have portraits in your mod, i double checked)... other then vanilla assets - which this mod changes. It was just the most detailed example (since you have the most .faction files), in case someone wanted to change existing mods.

Purely theoretical.

Anyway i removed the instructions on how to add portraits to your mod, along with my recommendation of which portraits form my collection will best fit with your faction.

Let me give you a scenario:
If we are theory crafting here, then let me also give you a scenario. A streamer, being a responsible adult running a business. Wont add content clearly marked as "stolen art" to a commercial product.

Because,
This mod is hardly revolutionary in its concept, nor unique on the forum.
Part of modding was, and always will be, kit-bashing different commercial products together (and i use this term quite deliberately). I do jest about "stealing art" (mostly aimed at streamers btw, as a clear warning that will show on rudimentary searches), but what i did with this mod is nothing different then adding Thomas the Steam Engine to Skyrim or the Voice of Duke Nukem to the modern XCOM (Both trademarked assets) ect. Its all potentially copy-right infringement, it also wont stand in any court other then an automated one.

Also, most people get portrait packs to EXPAND the pool of portraits, not to override it. And overriding MOD content as well is a pretty d*** move in my opinion. You are replacing portraits that these modders worked hard on with your ripped pics/ artwork. Not cool man, not cool.
This is a somewhat valid point.

The first part about 'EXPANDING' content is something i disagree with. As a concept many mods add/expand/exclude/override content.
That IS the whole idea of modifying a game, actually modifying it.
Its all subjective at the end of the day. Some might find some minor thing immersion breaking/OP, some might not. To each their own.

The second part i already addressed, but i'll try again.
By default the mod does not alter any mods, but clearly my portraits will stick out because of their blue circle around them.
To rectify this ive added a set of instructions on how to bring everything to the same aesthetic level as the rest of the mod, and some pictures of how it will look in game.
By design, anyone who wants to override art with my instructions, has to ACTUALLY LOOK AT IT before altering it.
I think this is the least "*** move" a mod that alters aesthetics at the end of the day (thus subjective) can do.

So i am sorry if this is not cool or offends, it seems a somewhat foreign concept in this modding community, but its not a faux pas and quite standard in other communities.
Also as i said, if anyone wants i'll remove the optional files linked with their mod.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2019, 03:00:23 PM »

Erm Sure...?
You actually had no art that i replaced (you dont have portraits in your mod, i double checked)... other then vanilla assets - which this mod changes. It was just the most detailed example (since you have the most .faction files), in case someone wanted to change existing mods.

Purely theoretical.

Anyway i removed the instructions on how to add portraits to your mod, along with my recommendation of which portraits form my collection will best fit with your faction.

Absolutely sure, and thank you. I'm not sure when I'll get around to doing portraits, but I also don't want you messing with any I add in the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4