Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A very positive experience  (Read 1338 times)

lethargie

• Commander
    • View Profile
A very positive experience
« on: December 06, 2018, 10:41:15 AM »

I wanted to share the very positive experience I had with 0.9 so far. And perhaps it would be nice to hear what people have tried.
I'm not a very good writer, so it will probably look like rambling.

1) I forgot how smooth the tutorial is. The only problem is if you've picked the less combat-worthy ship, early battle can be a bit tedious.

2) It's really nice how the quality of ship available to buy depend of the industry on place. Really makes faction/planets more different. Also, it makes cruiser a bit more easy to acquire. It's really fun to be able to find a pristine heron for sale on Culann for example.

3)I like the bar talk feature. The tri tach dude lending you money really help the early game, shipping stuff is fun. We even get some hidden goodie with it. Really looking forward to get this part extended.

3) Blueprint is a fun thing to find while exploring, it also encourage us to forge our own colony. There came a point in my game where I was like: "I need to start a colony if I wanna get my own conquest now that I have the blueprint."

4) I like how easy colony are, they give a bit of money, and are a stable way to get supplie/ship. I held on installing core/megaport/free port to minimize hostillity early game and now its smooth sailing. I really like being able to build customized fleet for cheap. Makes me try different strategy I never really tried. For example: building Valkyrie, and auxiliary buffalo with a complement of heron/dominator for a sneaky raiding party. I raided Culann several times, but only got a mjolnir blueprint. So much for the supersecret weapon hidden in their mines. Also I use a lot more frigate now.

5)I now feel a lot more when I lose a ship I did not have the blueprint for, makes for some fun experience as I throw my overloaded conquest in the path of a couple reapers to save a cruiser I don't have the blueprint for.

6)I have a hard time with the flight speed slowdown even with sustained burn. I get bored very quick as i'm flying in hyperspace

7) Battlestation battles are pretty cool, the mechanics work well and it doesn't feel as unfair as [redacted] [redacted]station. Might just be habit however.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: A very positive experience
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 10:45:40 AM »

Your writing seems fine to me. Always nice to see someone focusing on the things they enjoy, rather than quibbling over a few points of damage or deployment costs.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A very positive experience
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to post this! Happy you've been enjoying it :)