Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: High-Grade mods for orbital works above 100%  (Read 2120 times)

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
High-Grade mods for orbital works above 100%
« on: December 07, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »

Thinking about how ships can still be manufactured with D-mods present, I started to wonder whether in fact even the "Pristine" version of ships were actually the best possible version of the ship.

Take overclocking as an example, even CPU's sold at the same speed, they can be overclocked differently; my i5-3570k was sold at 3.8GHz, but I have run it for 6 years at 4.3GHz (which isn't a good result comparatively), where others with the same CPU could push this to 4.5GHz or higher.  Not all CPU's are manufactured to exactly the same specification, due in part to impurities in the Silicon, hence we have the same template of the CPU binned into different markets; eg, my i5-3570k is the same silicon die as the i5-3770k but with the hyper-threading disabled and 2MB of it's 8MB of cache disabled.

In any case, the idea was to do the same with ships, some examples:
1) Orbital works with over 100% quality have a small chance to build a ship with a random High-Grade mod (eg Slightly more flux venting, better maintenance, etc)

2) You can use a similar function to "Restore" called something like "Overdrive".  All ships in the game could have a "Quality Rating" which designates the ship quality of the Orbital Works that built that ship, and a hidden "True Quality" rating which is influenced by the "Quality Rating", but not tied to it.  You then pay a rather hefty fee, something along the lines of the "Restore" cost, and the ship is buffed with one or more random High-Grade mods dependent on it's "True Quality" rating.

3) Another idea is to give more control to the player and allow them to adjust the stats directly on Refit screen dependent on the quality of the Orbital Works that built the ship (eg at 120% you can vary any basic ship stats by up to 20%).  The difference here is that by increasing one stat, you will decrease another conversely by the same amount; ie if you increase your Armour by 10%, you decrease the maximum speed and Maneuverability by 10%.  Perhaps to add a bit of variation to this so not all ships end up exactly the same, have the actual quality of the ship vary a little as in the second idea (maybe a little higher, maybe a little lower, but an average of whatever the orbital works building quality is).

I guess why I'm making these suggestions are that the ships themselves are the core of the game for me, but once I get to the stage that I have all the blueprints I want, I feel I lose a bit of that attachment to the ships themselves.  It does accomplish the goal of making it a lot easier to deploy ships and worry less about losing them, but I'm not sure if this is necessarily a good thing....I guess I'm arguing for game experience vs game play.

With something like these High-grade mods, finding the perfect ship wouldn't end at having the blueprint, it will be an on-going process that will hopefully keep them interesting well into the late game.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 08:38:51 PM by Baqar79 »

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: High-Grade mods for orbital works above 100%
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 08:43:31 PM »

I feel like those "Quality ratings" idea will be just redundant with D-mods. These already represent the quality of a ship.

Still, I think all of this is onto something good. It might end up just being another source of minmaxing and skewing the balance of the game (especially considering how indepth the player could mess with the ship stats according to what you're proposing), but such an option to further spice up endgame would be very cool. After all, what can I do in the endgame once I sit on a pile of gold? After making a fleet of 30 quad tachyon lance Paragons, there's nowhere else to go.

Such an option to further boost the ships should be very expensive. No I mean REALLY expensive - the cost should be obscene enough that overpowering ships like that on a regular basis should be highly impractical (aside from requiring Orbital Works with fleet quality over 100% in the first place). Possibly it may require some rare items involved in production, like AI cores, for example?

Baqar79

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:27:17 PM »

I just throw ideas out there, but this is something I started thinking about since my first play through of 0.9a.  I like the process of optimizing and I love trying different builds and combinations out...so it's probably not unfair to say that I spend most of my time on the refit screen and simulator. :D

As an alternative idea:
I first started thinking about this when I came across the Domain sleeper pods.  I only know very small fragments of the Lore, but one of my first thoughts was that while the knowledge necessary to produce blueprints and nano-forges and such had been lost, there could be a strong possibility that someone in that ancient sleeper pod ship might have some clue.  Designing a ship probably requires hundreds or thousands of engineers, and with the complexity of things, I wouldn't be surprised if many complex system parts were licensed from multiple third party sources for use in the original blueprint.

If the blueprints are encrypted and unchangeable, mass production of superior ships isn't going to happen, but if you happen to wake up an engineer that is familiar with a particular sub-system on a ship, they could at great expense improve on the original design.  Just a thought about blueprints though...if the XIVth fleet ships are using modified blueprints, maybe they can be changed...?

borgrel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:36:21 AM »

i like the idea of E-mods (D-mods = degraded, E-mods = elevated)

but they need to be random, they need to disappear when any D-mods are received.
they need to give a bonus exactly opposite to that of a D-mod and probably 1/2 as strong (and maybe the elevated components are more likely to take damage so the first D is always related to an E ) (going from +1 burn to -1 burn has gotta hurt)
restoring wont restore the E-mods
Hullmods like battlegroup XIV etc count as E-mods??

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 11:22:43 AM »

E-mods already exist. They’re hull mods that you can equip on your ship like anything else. Adding more random mods that don’t cost OP seems kind of antithetical to the idea that the ships are pristine as it is