Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: [0.9a RC10] NPE When generating player patrol fleet (I think)  (Read 1419 times)

dogamusprime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9a RC10] NPE When generating player patrol fleet (I think)
« on: December 06, 2018, 05:33:38 AM »

Code

390133 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetMemberView.renderWeapons(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetMemberView.renderSingle(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetMemberView.render(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleetView.render(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.render(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseCampaignEntity.render(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.graphics.LayeredRenderer.render(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.BaseLocation.render(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.render(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.render(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Looking at the only example of this issue that I could find with an admittedly brief search, it seems that one of the many mods I've installed has overwritten a certain variant and it's causing the failure.

Here's a list of mods;

Spoiler

Arsenal Expansion
Combat Alarm Sounds
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering
DIABLEAVIONICS
GraphicsLib
JP_RC
Kadur Remnant
LazyLib
Legacy of Arkgneisis
MagicLib
Mayasuran Navy
ORA
SanguinaryAnarchisticDefectors
SCY
Shadowyards
SkilledUp
sylphon
UnknownSkies
Version Checker

[close]

Now I know that given the number of mods it's going to be pretty hard to find out which one it was, as I cannot remember the most recent unlocks I got, but I was hoping that someone might be able to help me narrow it down.

I appreciate any help.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a RC10] NPE When generating player patrol fleet (I think)
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 11:02:36 AM »

This probably has something to do with a ship using a "decorative" weapon for some of its visuals, under the hood - and, probably, either the slot id of weapon id being wrong. Beyond that, I'm not sure I can narrow it down.

dogamusprime

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 04:18:10 PM »

I think I can say with a fair bit of certainty that it was the Junk Pirates mod.

I removed this variant; "syndicate_asp_gigantophis_Support" from the mod and removed it from my save and it appears to have done the trick.

Originally I had just attempted to remove the variant from the mod files only, but it threw this when I moused over my fleets after the fact;

Code

224713 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.fleets.DefaultFleetInflater.inflate(DefaultFleetInflater.java:373)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.fleet.CampaignFleet.inflateIfNeeded(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2.createFleetTooltip(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.C.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

So I had to remove the variant from the save as well. The dev seems aware of it, and they've stated that it's a depricated variant that they intend to remove in the next release. I assume the exception is caused by the reason you stated.

I had originally thought that I would have to abandon the save, but it really seems to be crash free at this point. Only took me an entire day haha, I really wanted to salvage the save though.

I gotta say, that I'm really impressed with how well the game runs now, especially with everything that seems to be going on in the background. And also how well it runs with this many mods. It's still only using 2.5g of ram, and this is the only gamebreaking issue I've had thus far. Just wanted to say thanks. It seems like just yesterday it was just Corvus.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 10:41:25 PM »

Glad you got it sorted out :)

I gotta say, that I'm really impressed with how well the game runs now, especially with everything that seems to be going on in the background. And also how well it runs with this many mods. It's still only using 2.5g of ram, and this is the only gamebreaking issue I've had thus far. Just wanted to say thanks. It seems like just yesterday it was just Corvus.

Thank you, this is really cool to hear!

Hobostabbins

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2018, 04:21:41 PM »

I'm actually getting the same error, but I've never edited saves for this game and I reaaaally don't want to screw it up. Could you give me the rundown of what you did to take out the variant?
Speak softly and field a surprisingly large carrier element.