Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Better refit highlight info / Adv. optics consideration (.51a)  (Read 1895 times)

j01

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

Firstly, hovering the mouse over equipped weapons in refit mode - the info displays fine, but there are problems when you move the mouse over different components, especially when the components are close together. If I hover the mouse over an SRM component, then move it directly over a nearby laser, the info for the SRM will still be displayed until I move the mouse over the *exact center* of the laser. Some components are shaped so that I actually can't get the new info to display at all unless I zoom in and THEN find the center.

It would be great if the info would display and update at the very moment the component slot outline (like the double circles for medium energy) became enlarged from the mouse touching it. It would just be smoother and more user friendly.

Secondly, I've tried playing around a bit with the advanced optics hull mod, and I have to say that it might be overkill on the turret slowing, in some cases. Specifically, point defense lasers, which are already not so great all around, seem to be slowed way too much and can no longer keep up with missiles and even some fighters. The extended range is meaningless when they can't even track the one thing they're supposed to be good against.

This is especially a nuisance if I just want advanced optics for my fixed or larger lasers on higher tech ships, but still want some very meager point defense capabilities, since laser based PD is the only option for many (all?) of them.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Better refit highlight info / Adv. optics consideration (.51a)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:28:10 PM »

When I saw that advanced optics got a 50% (!!!) turret speed penalty I was flabbergasted - its a major blow to energy point defenses and they were already too weak! The only viable option imo was regular pd with advanced optics - even then that is inferior to and far far costlier than MG's. Sure the advanced turret gyro hullmod cancels the penalty and is not too costly... but thats still more points.

I agree that the high tech ships need a bit of balancing and maybe it makes sense for advanced optics to have some speed penalty - but 50%? Come on!

Dreyven

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:24 PM »

i'm quite ok with it... sure... 50% is a lot and 40% may be a more reasonable aproach
but you have to consider how good of a hull mod the advanced optics actually is
it gives 200 range, that's more than double the amount of the integrated Targetting unit on a lot of ships and weapons

however, you can still go for the integrated targetting unit, which will give you a lot of range on big ships like cruisers at a lower cost...
on some weapons and ships it might outperform the advanced optics (which is more of a frigate/destroyer hull mod)
then again, on bigger ships, getting the very cheap advanced turret gyro isn't really an issue most of the time

in terms of PD...
Tactical lasers with the integrated Point defense AI might be what you want to go for now
they are kind of cheap, have the same damage and actually a longer range
they will also benefit from the integrated targeting unit more than other lasers would

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:22:38 PM »

in terms of PD...
Tactical lasers with the integrated Point defense AI might be what you want to go for now
they are kind of cheap, have the same damage and actually a longer range
they will also benefit from the integrated targeting unit more than other lasers would
No they are too slow. So use them with the advanced optics since they are too slow anyway. Pretty dang deadly on a wolf.  :D  Well I like it anyway...
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire