Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ship costs and bounties  (Read 11545 times)

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Ship costs and bounties
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2018, 06:54:36 AM »

You can usually find great opportunities that will net you money comparable to bounties even with tariffs. Definitely slower than killing but possible.
Not a fan of tariffs myself but they do make smuggling/sensors a thing here, worth bothering with since the rep penalty was removed.

If you have any free-port colony with light industry you'll start stockpiling drugs, domestic- and luxury goods, which you can take from the stockpile at default prices and ship over to most pirate bases and sell them for a solid profit. No rep loss, and often enough better prices than you'd get from buying the stuff from other black markets.

I'm pretty sure at this point half my current fleet is sponsored by my Pirate-catering-service racket.

My assumption was by trade they meant trading at the start, if you already have a colony with drug income you do not need any more money :)
Fair point though, if you do not find a huge surplus taking from colony is just as good or better.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2018, 08:27:46 AM »

You propose getting rid of the ship capture/recovery aspect of the game? Because I gotta tell you, a lot of players  really like that aspect of space exploration games.

Did I say that? Nope.
Basically fee ships shouldn't exist On THE MARKET - especially not good ships in good condition

Ok, lets define "trade". Randomly buying low at a port and selling high at another? No, that's not easily profitable by design, and the game tells you this.

Fulfilling trade style procurement missions, or delivery of goods missions? Those are indeed profitable, and easy with very little risk.  Profitable as running bounties? Of course not--but again, risk vs reward.

99% of the time those mission don't turn any profit at all either.

You can pick up missions at most bars that involve you ferrying cargo, which they *give* you, a few light years in the core system. Very short trip, very low risk, minimal investment. Boom... 75k

Those are the only ones that actually can turn a profit.

Also, the Wolf, an advanced combat frigate should be cheap enough to buy with a single bounty?

Wolves that sell for the price you're concerned with are D ships, and hence freely available. Again, fix the missions balancing  and anticipated player income first, then price the ship. Trying to price a ship against the current income streams in the game would lead to ridiculous outcomes.
[/quote]

No, decent ship with no D-mods are far too cheap in the game. ALL ship should be 2-3 times more expensive.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2018, 09:06:17 AM »

Part of the reason market ships are so cheap is that they don't come with any weapons. (But for some reason produced ships do...)

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2018, 09:09:46 AM »

You propose getting rid of the ship capture/recovery aspect of the game? Because I gotta tell you, a lot of players  really like that aspect of space exploration games.

Did I say that? Nope.
Basically fee ships shouldn't exist On THE MARKET - especially not good ships in good condition

I have no idea what youre saying here.

Ok, lets define "trade". Randomly buying low at a port and selling high at another? No, that's not easily profitable by design, and the game tells you this.

Fulfilling trade style procurement missions, or delivery of goods missions? Those are indeed profitable, and easy with very little risk.  Profitable as running bounties? Of course not--but again, risk vs reward.

I'm sorry, you're mistaken. I explained why in the portion you didn't quote.  So did other people.

You can pick up missions at most bars that involve you ferrying cargo, which they *give* you, a few light years in the core system. Very short trip, very low risk, minimal investment. Boom... 75k

Those are the only ones that actually can turn a profit.

Again, this is not accurate.

Also, the Wolf, an advanced combat frigate should be cheap enough to buy with a single bounty?
Wolves that sell for the price you're concerned with are D ships, and hence freely available. Again, fix the missions balancing  and anticipated player income first, then price the ship. Trying to price a ship against the current income streams in the game would lead to ridiculous outcomes.

No, decent ship with no D-mods are far too cheap in the game. ALL ship should be 2-3 times more expensive.

How does making ships that are essentially free to the player, cost 2-3 times more in a storefront, do anything at all?  If something isn't scarce, it has no value. Most D-frigates are freely available, hence they have very little value and are priced accordingly.  Pristine frigates are scarcer, and priced accordingly, but it still doesn't matter. Until you balance the economy and available income streams, money is simply no meaningful limit on a player.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 09:43:41 AM »

In other words, regular trade isn't profitable.
No, it's NOT friggin profitable when even during a shortage what I earn cannot even cover the fuel/supply cost

That's just not true.
Right at the start of the game there are massive shortages and you can buy goods at 1/4 - 1/3 the selling price.
Base price on things like ore can be 1/10 of what you can sell for.

Crossing the core takes something like a week.
In a month a colossus will use up ~6 supplies/150 fuel/800 credits assuming militarized subsystems, constant travel and lots of jumps.
That's something like 6K to run, maybe 10K with some support and you get at least 800 usable cargo space and 2 trips.

Wouldn't call trade the best moneymaker in Starsector but it's definitely viable even with tariffs.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2018, 09:45:41 AM by Draba »

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2018, 11:00:25 AM »

Cant really make good judgements on ship cost as long as colonies make ship expense/scarcity a non limiting factor. The entire economy needs to be balanced first.  Trying to balance ship cost against unlimited money is backwards. Need to reign in the flow of money first.

I'm not even counting the colony money into this. This is my observation from a no-colony run. With just money I get from bounties/missions I can quickly build a large fleet just by buying ships.

Meanwhile, trade is unprofitable as hell due to insane tarrifs.

The payout for the level of bounty you can win with just frigates is roughly 50k, so having to replace a single frigate lost would probably destroy most of the profit.

If the player loose a ship or two on EVERY bounty, then he isn't a good captain or bounty hunter.
Occasional losses are to be expected. OCCASIONAL.
So no, a single bounty really shouldn't be enough to buy several new ships - there are ships as cheap as 10000.

In a proper fleet battle, life of 20K frigate is a single mouse click long. So unless you could provide a story of your epic and profitable success at collecting several bounties of the above 150K paygrade with only frigates of 20K or less variety and without losing any of them - you doesnt make a point.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2018, 04:55:17 PM »

Reinforced bulkheads are a thing.  Just use them on all ships to avoid losing them.  Frigates are unusual in that purging d-mods from them is significantly cheaper than buying new.

You basically are stuck with the highly survivable ones, however -- Kite (upgrade to railgun ASAP) and Wolf, basically.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »

Reinforced bulkheads are a thing.  Just use them on all ships to avoid losing them.  Frigates are unusual in that purging d-mods from them is significantly cheaper than buying new.

You basically are stuck with the highly survivable ones, however -- Kite (upgrade to railgun ASAP) and Wolf, basically.

To recover disabled ships you have to win battles in the first place and not in "pyrrhic" sense.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2018, 08:17:24 PM »

Yes.  Thus why I'm stuck with Wolves and Kites.  Nothing else can run away fast enough to recover and delete destroyers.

Draba

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2018, 12:39:18 AM »

Are you sure?
Can't check but IIRC restoring wolves costs at least ~50% more than building a new one, and building is cheaper than buying.

zaimoni

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2018, 12:57:58 AM »

Yes, I'm sure; I do this all the time in the early game.  Removing 2 dmods from a Kite is cheaper than buying new (breakpoint is 10k credits); removing 1 dmod from a wolf is cheaper than buying new (breakpoint is 20k credits).  It's only destroyers and higher that are more expensive to purge a single dmod, than to buy new.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2018, 01:53:33 AM »

I have no idea what youre saying here.

Quality ships on the market (no D-mods) shouldn't "practically free" to begin with.

Are you forgetting that in the SS setting there's a lot of stagnation and technology loss, and a spaceship - ANYX spaceship - is a complex and expensive thing by it's nature and need to survive in the most hostile enviroment (space). A spaceship is never, EVER going to be like a car is today.

I'm sorry, you're mistaken.

No, I am not. Only bar mission give a decent profit.
Buying low and selling high is very unprofitable as it is, due to *** tariffs and a operational costs. And bulk selling doesn't work since you cannot even FILL your freighter fleet on the markets.

The entire trade/economy aspect of the game right now is HORRIBLE.

How does making ships that are essentially free to the player, cost 2-3 times more in a storefront, do anything at all?  If something isn't scarce, it has no value. Most D-frigates are freely available, hence they have very little value and are priced accordingly.  Pristine frigates are scarcer, and priced accordingly, but it still doesn't matter. Until you balance the economy and available income streams, money is simply no meaningful limit on a player.

Again you with the economy/income. I'm talking about how it is in the game right now. Yes, the entire economy needs fixing, but it doesn't matter if you reduce incomes or increase ship prices, the point still stands that the PROPORTION needs to be fixed.

You should NOT be able to replace half your fleet from a single bounty.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2018, 02:02:37 AM »

In a proper fleet battle, life of 20K frigate is a single mouse click long. So unless you could provide a story of your epic and profitable success at collecting several bounties of the above 150K paygrade with only frigates of 20K or less variety and without losing any of them - you doesnt make a point.

You don't bring trash frigates to fight cruisers.
In a proper battle your ships will live unless you're stupid/incompetent and are going after far greater prey than you can handle.
You stick to simpler bounties untill you build up your flert, you DON'T go after 150K+ bounties with just weak frigates.
And there's salvage to replace some of the losses, so no, you don't need to be able to buy 3 new ships after every bounty.

The notion that you will loose a few ships every time adn the game has to shower you with money to replace loses is insane. Git gud.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2018, 03:11:40 AM »

Quality ships on the market (no D-mods) shouldn't "practically free" to begin with.

Are you forgetting that in the SS setting there's a lot of stagnation and technology loss, and a spaceship - ANYX spaceship - is a complex and expensive thing by it's nature and need to survive in the most hostile enviroment (space). A spaceship is never, EVER going to be like a car is today.

Ah, I see. You're arguing a conceptual point vs a practical one, though previously you were arguing that *D frigates* were underpriced. Concept aside, mundane d-frigates ARE free in the game currently, no matter what they're priced at in the store. A player can pick one of these up after any battle or simply floating in space. They aren't a scarce resource, hence they have little value and are priced accordingly. Inflating the cost in the store would be nonsensical, like charging a million dollars for dirt.  Pristine frigates are slightly scarcer and are priced higher. The cost for losing a pristine ship in battle is much higher as you must pay to restore it to retain the pristine quality in addition to the higher store price. Losing one of these would obliterate profits from 2-3 low tier bounty missions, depending on whether you recover the ship.

Wolves, while great ships and "hi tech", are simply not scarce. Hence their low market value.

I'm sorry, you're mistaken.

No, I am not. Only bar mission give a decent profit.
Buying low and selling high is very unprofitable as it is, due to *** tariffs and a operational costs. And bulk selling doesn't work since you cannot even FILL your freighter fleet on the markets.

The entire trade/economy aspect of the game right now is HORRIBLE.

So, you're not even pretending to read anything anyone has told you explaining why you're wrong?  I'll give you one more chance to demonstrate that you're worth engaging with.  Refute these points, or abandon your argument.

1) Again, random buy low/sell high is not designed to be easily profitable. The game informs you of this.

2) The aforementioned bar missions are easily profitable and very low risk, requiring no investment, and only short hops through safe space.

3) Selling found resources to any black market or pirate bases to avoid tariffs is profitable--IF your fleet is efficiently designed for the task it's performing, has enough cargo space to trade in high volume, and is not carrying around a lot of extra ships not contributing to this purpose and causing the fleet to hemorrhage fuel and supply.  Even bounty missions can become unprofitable if your fleet is not efficiently designed for that purpose.

4) Selling goods to planets with high demand can be profitable even if you actually used your own money to purchase the goods at a port in which they were cheap.  Again, your fleet must be efficient, and have sufficient cargo space to trade in bulk.

5) Salvaged goods can be profitably used to fulfill procurement missions, since you got the goods for free. Rather than outright selling the loot you find, store it, and use it to fulfill these missions when they they arise. This will be  more profitable than just selling them, and will gain reputation points.

In no way do I assert that trade is as profitable as bounties--you can turn bounties around much faster, and gain huge amounts of EXP to boot, whereas Trade requires a lot more legwork, but are very low risk. In all cases, your profits diminish the less efficient your fleet is. Dont do trade missions with a heavy war fleet and expect to profit, any more than you could do the highest paying bounty missions with a fleet designed for trade.

You should NOT be able to replace half your fleet from a single bounty.

Hyperbole doesn't help your argument. If you lose half your fleet of the size and quality needed for high tier bounty missions, you could not replace them for the price of the bounty even assuming you could find the ships for sale. You certainly couldn't profit doing this.  If you're successfully  doing low tier (50k bounty) missions with only two frigates, frankly you deserve whatever rewards you get by being so skilled.

Again you with the economy/income. I'm talking about how it is in the game right now. Yes, the entire economy needs fixing, but it doesn't matter if you reduce incomes or increase ship prices, the point still stands that the PROPORTION needs to be fixed.

I'm sorry I cant make you understand this point.  There will come a point in the game's development where a lot of these infinite money streams are reigned in, and it's not much use to be overly myopic in pricing ships to try and balance against functionally limitless money. Ships will be priced on scarcity and anticipated average income potential. If you were to narrow your field of vision to only look  at the cost of a certain ship type vs a specific mission type payout, you might do something foolish like call for a mundane ship type that is essentially free to the player to be tripled in price.

Frigate price may be adjusted. Bounty payout may be adjusted. Supply/fuel cost could be adjusted. All of these things could happen. Looking at frigates in isolation is pointless at present.

Lucky33

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2018, 03:18:01 AM »

You don't bring trash frigates to fight cruisers.

Exactly.

In a proper battle your ships will live unless you're stupid/incompetent

And brought trash frigates with you.

You stick to simpler bounties untill you build up your flert, you DON'T go after 150K+ bounties with just weak frigates.

What leads us to a conclusion that trash frigates are starter feature and they price is right because by using them you cant progress even to intermediate level. Limited functionality -> limited price.

Git gud

Ive already cleaned up four man gangs and managed to kill hackers with enabled invulnerability. It doesn't get any better, sorry.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4