Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 0.9 Thoughts and Requests  (Read 883 times)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
0.9 Thoughts and Requests
« on: December 03, 2018, 12:43:39 PM »

Intel

Would it be possible to include another filter tab soley to display all known hostile bases?
They are currently in the exploration tab, which gets kind of busy. (And most of which is duplicated in the fleet log). Separating them would be a fairly simple ease-of-use improvement.

Would it also be possible to allow filtering the planet list by resource?
A simple checkbox array would do just fine.

And could ruins be marked in some way on the planet list once they have been visited?
Something simple like:

In the system view, would it be possible to show an overview of the resources in the whole system?
Just the greatest value for each one if present would be fine.

Colonies

Could the industry mouseover tooltips have their cash output and overall profit generated added alongside the maintenance cost please?
Basically a consolidation of the Command -> Income breakdown, but accessible without having to leave the colony management screen.

If a colony is using stockpiled resources, could those resources be highlighted in some way in the stockpile 'market' screen?
A tooltip with 'days this amount will last' on it would also be great.

Would it be possible to look into the possibility of introducing some 'mundane' means of mitigating some of the maintenance costs on higher hazard worlds?
Possibly something that trades future growth potential for economic stability.
Eg:
Spoiler
Artificial Cavern System
Limitations: Planet is not habitable. Not a gas giant. Not a water planet.
Requires: x Industry slots. ~1 year of building. (thinking either 4 or 6 slots)
Cost: 250K credits * (size of pop -2)^2.  - 250K to excavate a size 3. ~20M to excavate a size 10.
Effects:
  • Adds planetary modifier "Habitable Caverns" with -(current rating/6)% hazard modifer
  • Reduces population growth by x% due to limited space (-50%, maybe greater)
  • Reduces accessibilty by -10% due to congested entryways
  • Increases ground defence rating by +50%

OR

Another skill tree to add some maint. reduction on higher hazard worlds. That way the player can choose that path if they want/need to.
Environmental Hazard Management
Class: Industry
Level 1: -15% maintenance costs on planets with a hazard rating of 150-175
Level 2: -25% maintenance costs on planets with a hazard rating of 200-250
Level 3: -35% maintenance costs on planets with a hazard rating of 275+

I have this weird complusion to create massive comfy metropoli every time population management is a thing in a game.
Eh. They're probably not terribly well balanced anyway.
[close]

I absolutely love the idea of being able to build bases out in the wilds of space like the pirates do. And would jump all over the ability to create a vast floating city in the middle of nowhere.
Spoiler
Not sure how this would be balanced though. Possibly through some kind of unlockable slot mechanic, or skill?
But I have the idea that they would have some industries 'built-in':
  • Waysation (the graphic for this is a space station)
  • Space Port
  • Space Station

As a free floating station would essentialy be all those things. And maybe it would have a more limited amount of slots, and you'd have to build more yourself thus incurring more costs.
And if they're built around an object with resources, they can host industries to extract those.
Not really a priority. More of a whimsical dream.
[close]

General/Cosmetic

If a gas giant is colonised could the hyperspace well/entrance created by it's mass be re-named to match whatever the player calls the colony, or is this too much hassle for a cosmetic issue?

On the hyperspace campaign map, could hazard beacons have thier tooltips state which level they are?
They are currently all labelled simply labelled 'Hazard Beacon', with the only differentiating trait being colour. Of which, only the red really stands out.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 03:05:09 PM by Serenitis »

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 0.9 Thoughts and Requests
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »

Would it be possible to include another filter tab soley to display all known hostile bases?
They are currently in the exploration tab, which gets kind of busy. (And most of which is duplicated in the fleet log). Separating them would be a fairly simple ease-of-use improvement.
In "colony threats" are shown all the bases that you both know of and affect your colonies. Doesn't show bounty bases, but it's still something.
Would it be possible to look into the possibility of introducing some 'mundane' means of mitigating some of the maintenance costs on higher hazard worlds?
Yeah, I'd like that too. Or some limited (para)terraforming options, with the only ones available at the start being solar shades and mirrors (since they are just sheets of metal...).
I absolutely love the idea of being able to build bases out in the wilds of space like the pirates do. And would jump all over the ability to create a vast floating city in the middle of nowhere.
Not sure how this would be balanced though. Possibly through some kind of unlockable slot mechanic, or skill?
I'd like a space station require metal and more heavy machinery to build, as well as have Population & Infrastructure inactive until the space port and orbital station are built. And you could build them only in stable positions, sacrificing one of the bonuses for a space station.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 01:06:10 PM »

Thank you, too some notes!

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 03:56:47 AM »

I have realised that I am a fool who is bad at explaining things.
With reagard to the beacon tooltips, below is what I was trying (and failing) to describe adequately:

If those could be appended with their classification, that would be lovely.

Also, a planet texture has begun to grate on me.
Venuslike.jpg
It really doesn't look 'right' as it's just too small, so when it gets stretched to fit a sphere it looks grainy and less than great.
All the other planet textures are 1024x512, this one is 512x256 like the stars and gas gaints where the grainy-ness either adds to the cloudy effect or just doesn't show at all.
I have replaced it myself with another larger texture for now (I have lots to choose from). Please consider doing the same.