Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Alpha Admins  (Read 7866 times)

SeinTa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Alpha Admins
« on: December 01, 2018, 02:21:16 PM »

"An option that makes all the other choices terrible in comparison, with no apparent downside? Seems like poor design, if you ask me."

How do I have to poke them to do something?

3 years my colonies have been flourishing and my enemies have been crushed at every step on the way. When do I start the Third AI war?
Better yet, HOW can I start the Third AI war?

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha Admins
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 02:26:17 PM »

When do I start the Third AI war?
In the future update, duh. This isn't a finished game.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 02:49:20 PM »

Ah, just wait for the downsides.  Just you wait. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2018, 04:25:18 AM »

uuuh.. when i tried to remove an alpha core from a colony it had other (blackmail) ideas. just saying there are some downsides already in game.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

Rounin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2018, 07:18:50 AM »

Why would you remove it?
Just let it play Sim Planet with your colony.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »

Well if you were subject to an AI inspection and didn’t want to go hostile with the hegemony

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2018, 10:22:05 AM »

Well if you were subject to an AI inspection and didn’t want to go hostile with the hegemony
Just bribe them.  That's really the only acceptable answer to an AI inspection.  Removing cores is worse than cooperating.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2018, 10:49:11 AM »

Just bribe them.  That's really the only acceptable answer to an AI inspection.  Removing cores is worse than cooperating.
You can replace any cores in that colony with Gamma Cores (unless for some reason you decided to put an Alpha Core as Administrator, in which case other problems might arise).  If you do any amount of exploration, you'll be swimming in Gamma Cores, very expendable and cost far less than the bribe.  Just swap out the cores a second before the Inspection Fleet arrives, let them take them, and then put the original cores back in.  Just make sure to keep a core in the same spots.

So no, there's other perfectly acceptable answers to AI Inspections.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 11:07:42 AM »

Just bribe them.  That's really the only acceptable answer to an AI inspection.  Removing cores is worse than cooperating.
You can replace any cores in that colony with Gamma Cores (unless for some reason you decided to put an Alpha Core as Administrator, in which case other problems might arise).  If you do any amount of exploration, you'll be swimming in Gamma Cores, very expendable and cost far less than the bribe.  Just swap out the cores a second before the Inspection Fleet arrives, let them take them, and then put the original cores back in.  Just make sure to keep a core in the same spots.

Huh.  That works?  Neat.  I'd still generally prefer to bribe, as credits are less of a limited resource than gamma cores - In my longest-running save, I've only got ~40 gamma cores, which would suffice for about five inspections.  Maybe four?  (I'm up to a total of six alpha and 14 beta cores, though they're obviously not all installed on the same planet.)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2018, 08:15:19 AM »

What happens when you do put an alpha as an admin? I've never actually had any issues. Care to spoil for me?