Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: In your opinion, what type of faction is Starsector currently lacking?  (Read 16916 times)

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: In your opinion, what type of faction is Starsector currently lacking?
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2018, 01:59:05 AM »

... and with that thought, I say there is no real need to be too creative.  Let's just admit that Alpha Centauri did it the best and that there's no shame in imitating them.

Hedgemony = Spartans
Tri-Tachyon = Morganites
Luddic Church = Believers

See?  We've already copied three factions, so let's just finish it out the same way.  We need something representing the Gains, the Hive, the University and the Peacekeepers.
Alpha Centauri doesn't have a monopoly on faction archetypes.

TrashMan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2018, 02:50:55 AM »

Let's just admit that Alpha Centauri did it the best and that there's no shame in imitating them.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no

Botaragno

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2018, 03:39:57 PM »

A "ALL MISSLES ALL THE TIME" faction would be neato, but given how the Sindrians and Perseans are essentially one and the same, I feel like the Sindrians ought be made that "FIRE ZE MISSLES" in fleet doctrine. We have One (1) dedicated Missle Cruiser, now give us moreeeeee.
Some day the Conquest will be a viable capital..... some day....

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2018, 03:42:59 PM »

Perseans use an awful lot of carriers. On the other hand, Hegemony seems to have a monopoly on Gryphons.

Botaragno

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2018, 03:48:47 PM »

It's the "Who gets to keep the Capital?" question which bugs me, the Hegemony get the iconic low-tech Onslaught and Legion, Tri-Tach get the iconic high-tech Paragon and Astral, and before the Perseans walked into the scene, the Sindrians had the Conquest to make them stand out.

So ideally we'd have either the Perseans or Sindrians get a new iconic Capital class (and a few more ship designs) and that would help define them more.

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2018, 03:50:09 PM »

So ideally we'd have either the Perseans or Sindrians get a new iconic Capital class (and a few more ship designs) and that would help define them more.

If I hear the words "Phase Capital" I'm going to lose my f-ing mind.

Botaragno

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2018, 03:51:18 PM »

An upscaled Doom in the hands of anyone other than TT cannot bode well for the system at large

StarGibbon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2018, 03:55:28 PM »

An upscaled Doom in the hands of anyone other than TT cannot bode well for the system at large

Fighting Sindrian phase spam is already one of my least favorite fights.  If they got a phase cap I'd seriously consider modding them out of the game.

DancingMonkey

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2018, 09:55:44 PM »

There are ingame lore things about the first AI war so maybe an AI faction that sends fleets to wipe out living things or something with a few bases on the outskirts of the sector.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 15, 2018, 09:25:40 AM »

With their constant invasions and refusal to leave new colonists alone, current League feels more like a more evil Hegemony competitor or organized and ruthless criminal or pirate organization.  The lore may say that they unite against Hegemony, but in practice, they are a higher grade of pirate that does not tolerate new colonies.

League and Diktat feel too similar now, mostly in what they use.  Lore may be subtly different, but that does not matter compared to what they use.

Hegemony does not attack colonists simply because player colony put up Tech Mining or just grew too big.  They bully player for other reasons if seen.

Tri-Tachyon is about as impotent as the Luddic Church, although they are great to rob blueprints from.  Luddic Church has no heavy industry, and thus has weak fleets and nothing good to rob from.

As for what faction the game lacks?  A significant take-no-prisoners enemy-of-humanity faction.  Remnants are probably it, but they are not aggressive.  They only appear when player is deliberately looking for them (or does the two unique bar missions).
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 09:28:42 AM by Megas »

tzuridis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 19, 2018, 04:48:40 PM »

I agree with what a few people said but it would be cool if it worked similar to a 4x game:

1. Some type of trading / freeworld faction that creates worlds and stations kind of like neutral pirate stations that pop up. They can eventually join the independents in some form or join a faction.

2.. Many more independent factions associated (or not) with the PL at the start /  more minor factions stemming from a main faction (like Luddic Path).

3. Alien and/or AI faction that is normal or a horde that is against humanity like the remnants (could also appear randomly at the beginning or later on)

4. A nomadic faction with giant ships

fatrat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2018, 08:50:23 PM »

I'm new to the game, but I feel like the  game is missing an organic faction like the tyranid or zerg.

Cheep ships, week put can swarm the enemy and cost nothing to upkeep.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 20, 2018, 02:20:42 AM »

There aren't any aliens in this setting and humanity bio-engineering isn't that good yet either. This game is going to be mostly about humanity's struggle with itself.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2018, 06:24:36 AM »

I don't think the game needs aliens or zergs or whatever, which have already been explored in other media. I think it's fine if starsector sticks with its theme offactions which are allegorical representations of various known earth political systems. It would be neat though if the AI sent invasions to some colonies or NPC planets sometimes.

I just want to see the existing factions behave more differently from each other based on their ideologies.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2018, 06:52:04 AM »

Another high-tech one with a different agenda from TT would be nice. Maybe a weaker one with a focus on science. Trying to preserve and build upon the technology of the past.
Or an actual class faction, such as 'Miners'. Think of a sector-wide union with a chip on its shoulder and a lot of armoured hazard ships.

A dangerous aggregate of AI-turned-faction would be pretty cool as well. Something at the outer reaches of the sector.

Generally, I don't think SS is missing any factions. It would be nice to see the existing ones fleshed out a bit. Giving Hegemony its own flavour of how they'll interact with you and what they expect of you. Seeing TT engage in espionage and intrigue. Seeing pirates as less of the outright evil bunch that they currently are (or more so).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 07:20:22 AM by Schwartz »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4